With Their Pick In Round 3 GB Selects Montravius Adams, DL, Auburn

Just some random thoughts on this pick and what I've read:

- There is some talk about "lazy", and "taking plays off" but man it seems like you get that with 80-90% of DL guys. I never know what to make of that. Sometimes it's real, sometimes I think it's because a lot of college teams don't rotate their DL, and those big guys just can't go hard play after play. In a rotation, they can hopefully go hard for the few plays at a time that they are in - some don't or can't, and they are gone after a couple of seasons.

- Some scouts seemed to say he was stiff but he looked OK, to my untrained eyes, for a guy his size. His 40-time shows he has some explosion and athleticism. Those totally stiff big men usually don't run well. He also had a decent 3-cone for a guy his size, though the 20-yard shuttle wasn't very good.

- S.I. mentioned that he was productive from several spots in the 3-4. I didn't know Auburn was a 3-4 team so kind of consider it a bonus. Sounds like he's played some nose, some 3-technique as a pass rusher and also some 5-technique. The way the Packers use their DL I'm not that worried about fit. They play some 2-gap in base, single-gap in nickel/dime. I'm more worried about having guys that will play hard for the limited time they are in. I kinda threw fit out the window years ago. Daniels isn't the perfect fit in the 3-4, but he's been pretty good. The only guys that seems like they don't fit at all in the 3-4 are the more prototypical 4-3DE's - the 265-280 pound guys. Too big to play OLB, too small to play 5-technique. Other than that, give me some 300 pounders who'll play hard and have decent strength and you can maybe find a way to get something out of them.

Just some random thoughts on this pick and what I've read:

- There is some talk about "lazy", and "taking plays off" but man it seems like you get that with 80-90% of DL guys. I never know what to make of that. Sometimes it's real, sometimes I think it's because a lot of college teams don't rotate their DL, and those big guys just can't go hard play after play. In a rotation, they can hopefully go hard for the few plays at a time that they are in - some don't or can't, and they are gone after a couple of seasons.

- Some scouts seemed to say he was stiff but he looked OK, to my untrained eyes, for a guy his size. His 40-time shows he has some explosion and athleticism. Those totally stiff big men usually don't run well. He also had a decent 3-cone for a guy his size, though the 20-yard shuttle wasn't very good.

- S.I. mentioned that he was productive from several spots in the 3-4. I didn't know Auburn was a 3-4 team so kind of consider it a bonus. Sounds like he's played some nose, some 3-technique as a pass rusher and also some 5-technique. The way the Packers use their DL I'm not that worried about fit. They play some 2-gap in base, single-gap in nickel/dime. I'm more worried about having guys that will play hard for the limited time they are in. I kinda threw fit out the window years ago. Daniels isn't the perfect fit in the 3-4, but he's been pretty good. The only guys that seems like they don't fit at all in the 3-4 are the more prototypical 4-3DE's - the 265-280 pound guys. Too big to play OLB, too small to play 5-technique. Other than that, give me some 300 pounders who'll play hard and have decent strength and you can maybe find a way to get something out of them.

Auburn played a multi set. I watched him and Lawson a ton. Beware Auburn FB players as stated above they do get lazy at times... it's a team trait. I would say this is a C plus pick because you can get the same depth DT in round 5. Someone on staff had to have lobbied hard for him to be are round 3 pick.

Anyone who plays with one of those big old school neck rolls, they'll get a chance from me. I like that.

Regarding the motor, if you had a guy that was this size and athletic profile that played hard all the time, he'd be in the first round. Can Trgo coach him up? Has Trgo coached anyone up? We'll see I guess. Maybe he's Cullen Jenkins. More likely he's every other DL ever drafted by TT (save Daniels).

Final note that interests only me: he has the same 40 time as Richard Rodgers. Always good for a chuckle. Maybe this guy can catch Hail Marys too.

Back