With Their first pick GB selects Jordan Love QB Utah State

all i can say is that i hope that someone has been spending a lot of time with him and coaching him up. he was never activated last season, but hopefully he was not ignored during practices and someone was focusing on his development.
Without MM's QB school, who knows how competent this guy will be...

this was a player that you just spent a 1st and 4th pick on. if they don't spend a good amount of time developing him, i think that's malfeasance.
Part of development is film study and learning the offense. The on field stuff cannot be accomplished in the regular season due to practice constraints. The best you can do is stuff after practice but that’s going to be limited to pass drills vs zero coverage. That’s what pre season, OTA’s and mini camp is for. I have issues with this organization but this is not one of them

This is a fair assessment. Here is the part that I keep coming back to:
I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college.

Maybe its just me but thats the type of guy you can find in most drafts and not give up any equity to get him, not a game manager type but one who understands the offense with better mechanics

Look at it another way, all that stuff in red is describing a guy like Jared Goff. Play really well within the system, get good players around him, you can go to the SB. But he doesn't have any special plays in him to pull a rabbit out of a hat, to make a play when you have no business doing so. And right or wrong, it was those rare special kinda plays from Love that probably made Gute et al think they can win with him in the right system and with the right guys around him.

On the one hand, as I've said before, if you're going to take a risk on a skill set, then risk it big (hence I'm OK with the player but not at all the round). On the other, it's a bad way to do business on Day 1 because you're trying to predict something that's unpredictable and really banking on it for success.

It's one of the NFL's dead periods right now so thought I'd revive an old thread. The Love pick looms large these days, so I've been watching what's out there on him. Not All-22 stuff but there are some full games from both 2018 and 2019 available.

The number one thing that stands out to me is how much I hated that offense. They reminded me of the late MM years, running 4 wide receivers but no one could get open, with the occasional WR/TE sideline screen that fooled no one. So hard to watch. In consequence, Love was throwing a lot of back shoulder stuff or trying to float passes over the top of DBs or LBs plastering the receivers. There were also a fair number of drops.

Another thing that stood out - all of Love's evaluations talk about arm strength but I don't know, that wasn't really noticeable. Maybe he has the cannon arm from all the write ups but I thought he did a lot more touch passing than driving the ball. A lot of his picks were from under throws on 50/50 "YOLO" balls, like Jameis Winston. To be fair, there were also a number of botched catches by his WR where the ball popped up and was picked.

His technique was all over the place. He often seemed to hop on his throws, or skip. Sometimes he had a compact delivery, sometimes it looked like a big windmill motion. He seemed to do a fair amount of staring-down receivers. There was no way in hell anyone could trot him out in the NFL Year 1 and expect anything other than disaster, and having him inactive behind Boyle was prudent.

He had the occasional special "Rodgers" play, scrambling outside the pocket, throwing a sideline bullet to his left or right. His deep throws, when they connected, reminded me of Russ Wilson, dropping a lofted ball right in the bucket. And they had to be dropped in the bucket because those guys were never all that open. I can see why the team liked that stuff.

Overall I think he was a damn difficult evaluation to make. With the scheme, the lack of talent, and the messiness of his game, I just don't see how you look at him and say "Trade up in the first." Doesn't make any sense to me. On the other hand, I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college. And vitally, on top of that, he did show the occasional ability to make a play out of nothing, which you sometimes need to do in the NFL and, if you can do it with any consistency, is worth its weight in gold. But again I come back to, even if they think he can run the offense and add that element, how do you trade up in the first for him. I guess it's the supply and demand value of QBs.

Fantastic assessment. It's hard to believe they saw "star" written on his resume. Just not there from what I see. Then, I think about Rodgers, and some of the knocks against him. Point is, most of the knocks against Rodgers were true, and he was coached up to being what he was when he took the reins. I keep thinking about how there's a limited amount of time that coaches can spend working with kids at the college level, and because of it, some things never quite jell.

I'm concerned about Love's ability to actually become a franchise QB, unless it's a franchise type that the Jacksonville Jaguars would call their own. I just don't see it.

I don't think ML is looking for or wants a guy like Rodgers who will be willing to try to be the guy. I think ML wants the guy who plays within his system and won't go cowboy.

I don't think ML is looking for or wants a guy like Rodgers who will be willing to try to be the guy. I think ML wants the guy who plays within his system and won't go cowboy.
I can see that.

Rodgers was already “chiseled in stone” when ML arrived.
Impossible to reshape that player.

Love can be molded into what ML wants.
at least, that’s an impression that comes to my mind.

Problem is, it seems ML has put all his oats in one feed bag, and if that horse can’t even get out of the gate, then ML is toast.

You don’t trade up for a system guy. They saw something, what that something is who knows

The problem with system guys is that they don't have it in them (usually) to take a game on their shoulders, and mount a comeback win. They just don't have the tools set to make it happen. They're predictable, but dependable. Just don't fall behind.

Back