With their 5th pick in the 2021 Draft GB selects Ole Miss OT Royce Newman

So what's wrong with him? Packer fandom IMO has a lousy track record of judging these mid-round OL guys, just reading around he seems alright.

Seems GB has issue that every player they draft on the OL has to be able to play more then one spot on the OL and they will always draft the guy who can play more then one spot on the OL over a guy who might be a better player but only plays one spot on the OL.

Seems GB has issue that every player they draft on the OL has to be able to play more then one spot on the OL and they will always draft the guy who can play more then one spot on the OL over a guy who might be a better player but only plays one spot on the OL.
Maybe, but I think this guy is a RT and that's where they develop him and give him reps.

even though this was supposedly a year with a lot fewer good prospects, i like the ol that we drafted this year more than the guys we took last year.

even though this was supposedly a year with a lot fewer good prospects, i like the ol that we drafted this year more than the guys we took last year.
Watching Newman, something about him actually reminds me of Billy Turner. Something about his body distribution and the way he moves around. Not a prototypical OT build, but also doesn't scream guard either. He kind of straddles the line. Wouldn't be the worst player comp if he turns out that way.

Watching Newman, something about him actually reminds me of Billy Turner. Something about his body distribution and the way he moves around. Not a prototypical OT build, but also doesn't scream guard either. He kind of straddles the line. Wouldn't be the worst player comp if he turns out that way.
His measurables compare to Bryan Bulaga

I'm tired of only putting stuff in the "Rodgers wants out" thread, so I'll add some stuff to a few of the draft threads.

Didn't know a ton about Newman when they picked him. Had seen his name a couple of times in a couple of places but since I thought the Packers would go OT early he just didn't figure in for me.

I watched a couple of complete games ('Bama and Indiana) and I'm pretty pleased they got him where they did. He shows enough athleticism to make reach blocks and does a decent job of getting to the second level and engaging. He doesn't really run too many people over and seems to come off blocks a little early but he rarely completely wiffs at the line or in space. Seemed to play with pretty good balance. Billy Turner is a decent comparison.

Didn't see any really terrible pass protection reps though as you'd expect against a couple of top teams he does get beat at times. Fortunately no real "turnstile" moments. Seems to have a little trouble with the small speed rusher types, but again no complete wiffs. They just seem to get lower than him and slip by him at times, though he still manages to keep his hands on them to partially re-direct. Only saw him lose once against a power rusher.

I think if they are smart they start him out at RT in camp and leave him there. When/If he shows he can't handle it out there then move him inside, otherwise, I think he has a chance to be competent at RT.

One thing about him is that he'll be 24 yrs old this season. Really not much chance he gets more than a second contract from the Packers, but hey, if you'd somehow manage to get 6-7 years of "Billy Turner" type play out of him that'd be tremendous value at this point in the draft.

I'm tired of only putting stuff in the "Rodgers wants out" thread, so I'll add some stuff to a few of the draft threads.

Didn't know a ton about Newman when they picked him. Had seen his name a couple of times in a couple of places but since I thought the Packers would go OT early he just didn't figure in for me.

I watched a couple of complete games ('Bama and Indiana) and I'm pretty pleased they got him where they did. He shows enough athleticism to make reach blocks and does a decent job of getting to the second level and engaging. He doesn't really run too many people over and seems to come off blocks a little early but he rarely completely wiffs at the line or in space. Seemed to play with pretty good balance. Billy Turner is a decent comparison.

Didn't see any really terrible pass protection reps though as you'd expect against a couple of top teams he does get beat at times. Fortunately no real "turnstile" moments. Seems to have a little trouble with the small speed rusher types, but again no complete wiffs. They just seem to get lower than him and slip by him at times, though he still manages to keep his hands on them to partially re-direct. Only saw him lose once against a power rusher.

I think if they are smart they start him out at RT in camp and leave him there. When/If he shows he can't handle it out there then move him inside, otherwise, I think he has a chance to be competent at RT.

One thing about him is that he'll be 24 yrs old this season. Really not much chance he gets more than a second contract from the Packers, but hey, if you'd somehow manage to get 6-7 years of "Billy Turner" type play out of him that'd be tremendous value at this point in the draft.
He will be a project player. You hope that he does not ahve to see the field in 2021 and come 2022 he likely could be ready to take over the RT spot though even that's questionable because if Bak comes back as expected locks down the LT spot Jenkins could very well be entrenced as the RT and leaving Newman perhaps to be a backup swing tackle of the future.

Will all his teammates weclome him everyday and say

Back