Wisconsin Football: Jim Leonhard and this defense deserve better

There have been 2 AD's in the last 3 decades, he hires of HC much different
Personally I would give job to Leonhard if he could bring in a OC that would have some fresh ideas for the offense instead of just letting Rudolph and PC continue to do nothing.

Personally I would give job to Leonhard if he could bring in a OC that would have some fresh ideas for the offense instead of just letting Rudolph and PC continue to do nothing.
I feel like I am beating a dead horse here but as recent as 2019 this team came within a lost fumble of winning the Rose Bowl. If this same team was playing the 2022 schedule it would be staring at 4-0 and the narrative would be 180 degrees different. Opening with PSU after a watered down 2020 schedule with Covid did this program no favors, then ND. Does this team have issues yes and its starts with Joe Rudolph and the OL. I personally think the playbook has been watered down because of the OL, the QB and RB who all are just guys right now. New ideas are fine and dandy but if you dont have the horses to execute it, its a moot point

Reactions: TW
I feel like I am beating a dead horse here but as recent as 2019 this team came within a lost fumble of winning the Rose Bowl. If this same team was playing the 2022 schedule it would be staring at 4-0 and the narrative would be 180 degrees different. Opening with PSU after a watered down 2020 schedule with Covid did this program no favors, then ND. Does this team have issues yes and its starts with Joe Rudolph and the OL. I personally think the playbook has been watered down because of the OL, the QB and RB who all are just guys right now. New ideas are fine and dandy but if you dont have the horses to execute it, its a moot point

I think you're right on a lot of stuff.

Including the play of the offense.

But, it's not being 1-2 that's driving everybody off the cliff. It's the way we are 1-2.

I think there are big problems with the offensive line and, unfortunately, quarterback. But, if they are dumbing down the play book, they are dumb. Maybe that's part of the problem. They thought they had a shiny new toy, changed stuff to make that toy fly, then got scared to try it out. The offensive line rotation and the fact that a once promising and potential stud quarterback doesn't have the confidence to tie his shoes turns me back to coaching. Something is rotting in Denmark, I think it's offensive coaching.

I think you're right on a lot of stuff.

Including the play of the offense.

But, it's not being 1-2 that's driving everybody off the cliff. It's the way we are 1-2.

I think there are big problems with the offensive line and, unfortunately, quarterback. But, if they are dumbing down the play book, they are dumb. Maybe that's part of the problem. They thought they had a shiny new toy, changed stuff to make that toy fly, then got scared to try it out. The offensive line rotation and the fact that a once promising and potential stud quarterback doesn't have the confidence to tie his shoes turns me back to coaching. Something is rotting in Denmark, I think it's offensive coaching.
Respectfully disagree. Recruiting Stars mean diddly squat and that’s what fans bit on. So let’s judge “potential” vs an Illinois team that probably plays Bishop Sycamore close last year. Harsh fact is they had a chance to win on the last drive vs PSU because Savior Graham could not secure the ball on 1st and goal and missed Dike wide open on a slant in the end zone. They led 13-10 in the 4th vs ND and missed throws Dustin Scherer could have made. The plays are there. If you want me to list the wide open looks he missed I will be glad to. He’s not the savior everyone thought. But stud QB is a major reach

Respectfully disagree. Recruiting Stars mean diddly squat and that’s what fans bit on. So let’s judge “potential” vs an Illinois team that probably plays Bishop Sycamore close last year. Harsh fact is they had a chance to win on the last drive vs PSU because Savior Graham could not secure the ball on 1st and goal and missed Dike wide open on a slant in the end zone. They led 13-10 in the 4th vs ND and missed throws Dustin Scherer could have made. The plays are there. If you want me to list the wide open looks he missed I will be glad to. He’s not the savior everyone thought. But stud QB is a major reach

I've admitted I got dragged in by the hype. But, I just don't see how a guy can have the skills, make the passes, and now can't hit a barn door or even hand off. I think it's between his ears. And, I think this coaching staff has a lot to do with it.

I see all your points. I agree with a lot of them. And, well, I disagree somewhat about Mertz. I agree he's playing rotten, but I think at least some of the reasons are coaching.

Is he a stud QB now - NO. Should he have been, I think so. At least a little better than what we've had. Something has screwed this up.

Reactions: TW
I've admitted I got dragged in by the hype. But, I just don't see how a guy can have the skills, make the passes, and now can't hit a barn door or even hand off. I think it's between his ears. And, I think this coaching staff has a lot to do with it.

I see all your points. I agree with a lot of them. And, well, I disagree somewhat about Mertz. I agree he's playing rotten, but I think at least some of the reasons are coaching.

Is he a stud QB now - NO. Should he have been, I think so. At least a little better than what we've had. Something has screwed this up.
He played against a low level of competition in Kansas #1. Should he have been a stud based on star ranking? Please. He has no OL, pedestrian WR and probably by B1G standards 2 or 3 deep RB. You don’t coach accuracy, oh and remember Owen Daniels was a 4 star QB. Just for reference

He played against a low level of competition in Kansas #1. Should he have been a stud based on star ranking? Please. He has no OL, pedestrian WR and probably by B1G standards 2 or 3 deep RB. You don’t coach accuracy, oh and remember Owen Daniels was a 4 star QB. Just for reference

He should have been a stud because he should have. Is KS the biggest market? No. But he was highly recruited. he was MVP of the High School All Star Game. He was making throws then and now can't throw it across the table. For god's sake, he doesn't even hand off well anymore. His footwork is crazy. he's got no confidence.

I admit I bought all the hype. But, he's not doing anything close to what his High School reels showed. I'm just amazed at how far he's fallen during games. Somehow, I think he's lighting it up in practice and brain farts during games. I just can't see a coach playing a guy like this if he doesn't look better than good all week.

He should have been a stud because he should have. Is KS the biggest market? No. But he was highly recruited. he was MVP of the High School All Star Game. He was making throws then and now can't throw it across the table. For god's sake, he doesn't even hand off well anymore. His footwork is crazy. he's got no confidence.

I admit I bought all the hype. But, he's not doing anything close to what his High School reels showed. I'm just amazed at how far he's fallen during games. Somehow, I think he's lighting it up in practice and brain farts during games. I just can't see a coach playing a guy like this if he doesn't look better than good all week.
Because he played against mediocre competition in a spread system. And no his camp reviews were not stellar at all. And yes days Wolf outplayed him. Just because he was highly recruited does not = success. There is a long list of 4-5 star recruits that flame out at all positions. I posited the article on USC is a thread on how “stars” are determined.

Recent 5 Star Busff

Recent 5 star busts. Just QB’s
  • Jeff Driskel, Florida
  • John Brantley, Florida
  • Russell Shepard, LSU
  • Garrett Gilbert, Texas
  • Dayne Crist, Notre Dame
  • Ryan Perrilloux, LSU
  • Mitch Mustain, Arkansas

But is that on the coaching staff and not being able to recurit talent?

Back