Wisconsin Athletic Resources

Since it’s football we are primarily talking here, why don’t former Badger/NFL players like Joe Thomas, JJ Watt, etc form a fund raising group that focuses on building the football program to keep it competitive?
Watt donated some serious money and helped raise a ton more for Hurricane Harvey In Houston.

Since it’s football we are primarily talking here, why don’t former Badger/NFL players like Joe Thomas, JJ Watt, etc form a fund raising group that focuses on building the football program to keep it competitive?
Watt donated some serious money and helped raise a ton more for Hurricane Harvey In Houston.
About 50 years ago, the Badger Boosters (I think that's what they were called) were constantly raising money and pouring it into the programs. The problem was, they became way too involved in the decision making at the U. Crazylegs was the AD at that time.

Granted, working with Elroy, the attendance nearly doubled at games, and they started to become more of a power. The problem was, they were always dancing around NCAA rules to get there.

Eventually, Hirsch left, and the boosters were put on a short leash, and finally removed from nearly as much inside influence.

I'm not going to go into the details of what happened.

Since then, the boosters have been strong, but never anything like they were back then, for what seems to be a fear that they could end up being like they were, and bring the entire program down.

The real key is getting individual benefactors who have super deep pockets, and are willing to dump so much money into a system that is legitimate, without strings attached. But, like Packinatl has stated repeatedly, the Badgers do not have the numbers of ultra-wealthy who can write out those 8-digit checks to support programs. Like he said, at Wisconsin, a healthy donation only gets you the "right" to pay for a decent parking space for game day.

I may have mentioned this before, but I know "for fact" that one particular football player was #1 on the most coveted list for the Badgers, as well as darned near everyone else. He was torn as to where he wanted to go. Anyhow, this kid was torn as to where to go. So, as you'd guess, the school offered his high school girlfriend a full ride scholarship in the arts, where she would be the carrot to get him to that school.

It worked.

The strange thing is, less than 2 months after they arrived on campus, they decided to split up and go in opposite directions. Both stayed at the school, and both stayed through four years.

I think near future you might see the crypto millionaires start donating money

About 50 years ago, the Badger Boosters (I think that's what they were called) were constantly raising money and pouring it into the programs. The problem was, they became way too involved in the decision making at the U. Crazylegs was the AD at that time.

Granted, working with Elroy, the attendance nearly doubled at games, and they started to become more of a power. The problem was, they were always dancing around NCAA rules to get there.

Eventually, Hirsch left, and the boosters were put on a short leash, and finally removed from nearly as much inside influence.

I'm not going to go into the details of what happened.

Since then, the boosters have been strong, but never anything like they were back then, for what seems to be a fear that they could end up being like they were, and bring the entire program down.

The real key is getting individual benefactors who have super deep pockets, and are willing to dump so much money into a system that is legitimate, without strings attached. But, like Packinatl has stated repeatedly, the Badgers do not have the numbers of ultra-wealthy who can write out those 8-digit checks to support programs. Like he said, at Wisconsin, a healthy donation only gets you the "right" to pay for a decent parking space for game day.
Well Spadenberg and Elroy put the athletic department in near bankruptcy. They had no clue how to run a program, Hirsch only cared about the banquet circuit. It took Donna S and Richter to clean up the mess

Well Spadenberg and Elroy put the athletic department in near bankruptcy. They had no clue how to run a program, Hirsch only cared about the banquet circuit. It took Donna S and Richter to clean up the mess
Yup!

I think near future you might see the crypto millionaires start donating money
Doubtful. Tax implications of crypto are vague at best. And would they “donate” to an athletic program or university with profits? You don’t get dividends with crypto so they would have to sell assets

Mendota Gridiron Club was disbanded for one. If they want just contribute to The Badger Fund and designate it for football or cut a check.

And Tucker used the portal to reload. Not a knock I get it but horses win ponies don’t

Back