What Is Success In The NFL?

You are not going to see 9-3 college coaches get canned in 95% of circumstances. Maybe an SEC school who can stomach the big buyout but other than that no. Sure it's about the brand. Has been for last 10-15 years but coaches like Tomlin, Payton, Lewis keep their jobs. So do guys like McCoy. Obrien Gruden Garrett... The list goes on.

My point in the post was not only coaching but how many teams do not repeat. How many teams don't make multiple appearances in the SB. The NFL loves parity. Helps keep interest in the brand. How many times does changing a HC get you to the big dance? One that I can think of Gruden and even that's debate able Hell Payton was the golden boy free agent coaching target this off season but show me where his body of work is better than McCarthy or Tomlin. It's not. Perception is reality to many. Sadly so. Look how a bad change can set a franchise back or even a the college level. I get if you tank say 7-9 even 8-8 make a move.
Nebraska and Georgia... go fish ( The first is a Big Ten school ), Denver NFL is an example they canned John Fox because it wasn't good enough you among others last year were pitching a fit...guess what they made it the next step a year later.

I am NOT saying it's the way to go but sometimes coach's get stale and stuck in their ways and a change works, other times it fails. Your question was/is what is success..that like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's really my point (
I only care about one team also. Just being realistic and to some that's hard to wrap their heads around. And many of those same fans don't remember the 70's and 80's team. They only know Favre and Rodgers. And the success they have brought. You think the critics are bad now wait till Rodgers is gone and fighting for a wild card becomes the norm and speculation of top 10 picks begin.

That's really always been my point. I'm a pre-Lombardi fan. Basked in the Glory years. Entered the Air Force out of college right about the time of SBII and was retired before they had another good season. The Gory Years didn't bother me all that much because I knew, going in, that they weren't going to win a title. Every win was something to relish, especially those that messed up somebody else's season. Then came Favre, the Patriot win, and the "we're back in the saddle again" feeling. Should probably have seen the handwriting on the wall the next year, but at least we were in the big show. Didn't think I'd have to wait until 2010, and then see year after year down the tubes. I'd love to have a succession of (reasonable possible) SBs to remember when AR is gone, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The only good news is that I won't last as long the next down period. :)

Nebraska and Georgia... go fish ( The first is a Big Ten school )
I said 95%. The ones who could stomach the buyout. My point it's not widespread. Bo was embarrassed 2x by uw and that did not help. And as you can see the alternative is worse

Back to the OP. Selling jerseys and filling stadiums! That's what defines success.
Winning is only important because it leads directly to selling jerseys and tickets.

Back to the OP. Selling jerseys and filling stadiums! That's what defines success.
Winning is only important because it leads directly to selling jerseys and tickets.
Merchandise is part of shared revenue so it's big but not the main driver on a local level. And tickers? Did not impact the waiting list in 70's and 80's. It's about TV money.

Green Bay and New England are the NFL gold standard over the last 10 years.

not sure i agree with that. new england, yes. but over the past ten years i think the steelers and seahawks (and maybe the broncos) could make a better case than the packers.

Back