What Is Success In The NFL?

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With all of criticism of McCarthy and this team this season I started to think what is success in the NFL and how do you measure success. Is it Super Bowl? Well since 2000 only 2 teams have won multiple SB. New England and New York. In that same period only 5 other teams have made multiple appearances. St Louis, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver and Carolina. Now coaching

I compared McCarthy and 2 other coaches who have long tenure with their teams hired about the same time. And who I think we all consider very good head coaches.

McCarthy
Games over 500 : 49
SB Wins: 1.
Conference Titles: 1
Division : 5
Playiffs: 8-7

Tomlin
Games over 500 : 40
Conference Titles: 2
Division : 4
Playiffs: 6-5

Payton
Games over 500 : 30
Division : 3
Playiffs: 6-4

And let’s compares Holmgren over 17 years

Games over 500 : 50
Conference Titles: 3
Division : 8
Playiffs: 13-11

Have we become so spoiled as fans and are expectations are so high that anything less than a SB is considered an average season? We want to put McCarthy on the hot seat and some want him out today but when compared to other organizations Green Bay and New England are the NFL gold standard over the last 10 years. Is coaching perfect no. But look around the league. Sans New England it’s far from perfect and even BB got out coached Sunday. Is there an assistant or coordinator there that could be an upgrade? A college coach? Maybe. But as witnessed around the league it could be a lot worse.

packinatl, this is what I've been saying since we lost the playoff game in AZ. McCarthy isn't perfect, but no coach is - even Bill Belichick. Isn't it the goal to get into the playoffs with a shot at the Super Bowl? Under Mike's tutelage we've qualified for the post season 7 years in row. Unless things completely go south I believe we'll be in the hunt again in 2016. As a fan, what more can we expect? To expect a SB every year is fun but unrealistic. And to disparage a winning season and making it to the divisional round in the playoffs just isn't right IMO.

With all of criticism of McCarthy and this team this season I started to think what is success in the NFL and how do you measure success. Is it Super Bowl? Well since 2000 only 2 teams have won multiple SB. New England and New York. In that same period only 5 other teams have made multiple appearances. St Louis, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver and Carolina. Now coaching

I compared McCarthy and 2 other coaches who have long tenure with their teams hired about the same time. And who I think we all consider very good head coaches.

McCarthy
Games over 500 : 49
Division : 5
Playiffs: 8-7

Tomlin
Games over 500 : 40
Conference Titles: 2
Division : 4
Playiffs: 6-5

Payton
Games over 500 : 30
Division : 3
Playiffs: 6-4

And let’s compares Holmgren over 17 years

Games over 500 : 50
Conference Titles: 3
Division : 8
Playiffs: 13-11

Have we become so spoiled as fans and are expectations are so high that anything less than a SB is considered an average season? We want to put McCarthy on the hot seat and some want him out today but when compared to other organizations Green Bay and New England are the NFL gold standard over the last 10 years. Is coaching perfect no. But look around the league. Sans New England it’s far from perfect and even BB got out coached Sunday. Is there an assistant or coordinator there that could be an upgrade? A college coach? Maybe. But as witnessed around the league it could be a lot worse.

Here is the key "[BCOLOR=#ffff00] We want [/BCOLOR]' It doesn't matter what you want or the fans want. The bar has been set and yes it's high when consistent 9-3 college coach's and winning pro coach's get the boot. But since we keep spinning this subject... winning titles etc means more $$$. Not getting them in a timely fashion means calling the moving company.

Your lost in the winning/losing mantra when in reality and I really mean this the NFL/NBA/MLB and College FB are about $ and keeping the brand fresh (marketing).This is the reality of sports in general today..what have you done for me lately. Hate it.. keep DHH( it won't change things one bit. sb(tc(

You are not going to see 9-3 college coaches get canned in 95% of circumstances. Maybe an SEC school who can stomach the big buyout but other than that no. Sure it's about the brand. Has been for last 10-15 years but coaches like Tomlin, Payton, Lewis keep their jobs. So do guys like McCoy. Obrien Gruden Garrett... The list goes on.

My point in the post was not only coaching but how many teams do not repeat. How many teams don't make multiple appearances in the SB. The NFL loves parity. Helps keep interest in the brand. How many times does changing a HC get you to the big dance? One that I can think of Gruden and even that's debate able Hell Payton was the golden boy free agent coaching target this off season but show me where his body of work is better than McCarthy or Tomlin. It's not. Perception is reality to many. Sadly so. Look how a bad change can set a franchise back or even a the college level. I get if you tank say 7-9 even 8-8 make a move.

I really don't like using SB wins as a measuring stick for a coach (or a QB). Three main reasons are:

1) Head coaches don't operate in a vacuum, thus their impact isn't total. Talent available to them, injuries, individual key player's flops or heroisms are mostly out of their control. Can't cook a beef outta salad, though a good coach can squeeze something resembling it (veggie steak?).
2) One-and-done playoffs are a terrible and finicky way to find the best team (very exciting, though).
When forced to win 3 or 4 in a row in NFL playoffs, one bad night by your QB, a silly fumble, or simply dem breaks can ruin a season of superb coaching.
Even soccer's Champions League, with one game home and away per playoff round, is a waaaay more fair and less luck-driven way to find the better team. And there's no way to get "bosticked" in NHL's best outta 7 (not saying that format would be possible in NFL).
3) It's disrespectful to opponents and level of the league. There are 31 other teams playing with the same cap and mostly same resources. You can't have a "FC Barcelona" or "Man U" who can just outspend everyone to essentially guarantee a yearly top 3 finish. Having a franchise QB is the closest you can get to that, but even then they eat up enormous chunk of cap, and make building a dominant team around them harder. Patriots' run is super rare, and even they fail in the playoffs way more than win it all.

What you did took some research. Ask any Packer fan, and I'm sure they can tell you how many championships are in the trophy case. In the modern era, they can also tell you how many Lombardis are in there and when they were added. Now, ask about winning seasons, playoff appearances, conference/division titles - I'd be willing to bet those aren't on the tips of our tongues. Years from now, nobody's going to remember anything about these Packers other than the 2010 SB. Just being eligible for the brass ring doesn't cut it for some of us. Sure, it's tough. Sure, others are trying, too. But there is only one team I care about, and "nice try, wait 'til next year" is getting old.

What you did took some research. Ask any Packer fan, and I'm sure they can tell you how many championships are in the trophy case. In the modern era, they can also tell you how many Lombardis are in there and when they were added. Now, ask about winning seasons, playoff appearances, conference/division titles - I'd be willing to bet those aren't on the tips of our tongues. Years from now, nobody's going to remember anything about these Packers other than the 2010 SB. Just being eligible for the brass ring doesn't cut it for some of us. Sure, it's tough. Sure, others are trying, too. But there is only one team I care about, and "nice try, wait 'til next year" is getting old.
I only care about one team also. Just being realistic and to some that's hard to wrap their heads around. And many of those same fans don't remember the 70's and 80's team. They only know Favre and Rodgers. And the success they have brought. You think the critics are bad now wait till Rodgers is gone and fighting for a wild card becomes the norm and speculation of top 10 picks begin.

Back