What happens if McCarthy is fired?

TW

Reaction score
I believe there's a strong chance that McCarthy will be sent packing at the end of this year. What happens to the team after that?

For openers, I see a new HC coming in who oozes offense. I'm not going to get into names, but I think Murphy knows they have to ride Rodgers arm, and Jones legs, to stay relevant, no matter what they do. Someone who understands the variations of the WCO is essential. This is all pretty much a given.

Where the biggest change will come is on defense. I expect the new defensive coordinator will be a 4-3 guy. It would give them an obvious out in letting guys like Matthews leave through fee agency, and allow them to focus more on their defensive secondary and defensive line, in the draft. They could possibly pull of a couple of trades as well, believe it or not. We could see a sign and trade among them.

Focus the draft on the defensive line, defensive backs, and spend some money on free agents that can make a difference. We could be back in the hunt in 2020.

I think team would consider a defensive minded coach who would bring in a OC who would have free reign to call a quick paced offefnse.

If Murphy is the one making the decision you won't see a strong coach in GB. You'll see a MM clone who knows his place and wont question things or try to make drastic changes.

Only hope GB has for a turnaround by 2020 is to get rid of Murphy first.

IMO if they have succession plan for Murphy and if that's Russ Ball. You got Murphy Jr meaning nothing changes in way team is run. Heck with the BOD I still think you will see them hire a president even if it's not Ball that will step to the tune Murphy does now.

If and I mean IF McCarthy is fired I think it’s not a Harbough type that commands $6-$7 million per year, more likely an coordinator type or college guy who understands the NFL game is evolving to more of a college game and the need to involve spread principles.

If and I mean IF McCarthy is fired I think it’s not a Harbough type that commands $6-$7 million per year, more likely an coordinator type or college guy who understands the NFL game is evolving to more of a college game and the need to involve spread principles.

Harbough isn't married to either side of the ball, is he? Long time ST coach who also coached DBs. He would need to hire an OC exactly as you described so I don't think that's an issue.

I assume what you're really referring to is a money/cash flow issue, where the team doesn't want to pay MM not to coach while also paying a MM level salary to someone else.

Back