they say it takes three years to truly evaluate a draft . . .

And if you have adequate depth that's not a problem, injuries are part of the game having the next guy up to fill is the key.
How many players like Nick Collins does an average GM have to draft? Jmike? Johnathan Franklin. Guys on this team would rather work out with yoga instructors in Green Bay, or that infomercial guy. Ted did all right.

How many players like Nick Collins does an average GM have to draft? Jmike? Johnathan Franklin. Guys on this team would rather work out with yoga instructors in Green Bay, or that infomercial guy. Ted did all right.
Look at his last 5 drafts or so he did not draft very well. IMO guys like Dorsey, Schenider, and McKenzie were the guys that made those early teas so good they did the leg work

I don't think there's any doubt that the scouting staff and evaluation people go a long way towards the decisions made by a GM. Thompson probably did fall victim to a lesser amount of talent working with him in making decisions. That said, we just elevated people in the organization who were part of the failure in consistent drafting over the last few years. Did we solve any problems having Thompson step aside, or did we worsen the situation? It's going to take time to know.

I do know one thing. McKenzie has been put in a lesser role on his job in Oakland with Chucky arriving on the scene. It makes me wonder just how good he was, or was this a stupid power play by Chucky that Davis bought, and will destroy his team?

It's obvious the Mack trade to the Bears had no winning plan attached to it by the Raiders. It could also mean they intend tanking it this year, and will start to rebuild for Vegas.

So many questions, and we can only guess.

I don't think there's any doubt that the scouting staff and evaluation people go a long way towards the decisions made by a GM. Thompson probably did fall victim to a lesser amount of talent working with him in making decisions. That said, we just elevated people in the organization who were part of the failure in consistent drafting over the last few years. Did we solve any problems having Thompson step aside, or did we worsen the situation? It's going to take time to know.

I do know one thing. McKenzie has been put in a lesser role on his job in Oakland with Chucky arriving on the scene. It makes me wonder just how good he was, or was this a stupid power play by Chucky that Davis bought, and will destroy his team?

It's obvious the Mack trade to the Bears had no winning plan attached to it by the Raiders. It could also mean they intend tanking it this year, and will start to rebuild for Vegas.

It's a stupid power play by Chucky that will destroy the Raiders.

Davis gave Gruden the keys to the store when he was hired. And if you followed Gruden in Tampa you would know that’s a recipe for disaster. It was nothing to die with tanking. Pure ego

Gute is chopping a lot of the dead wood left by TT, that’s a positive sign and a great start. But it’s a slow process with no guarantees, because it’s going to take a couple drafts to build up the roster again.

Personally I think it happens to every GM at some point, you lose the touch. Schneider built a HOF defense in his first couple drafts but Seattle has had a lot of stinkers since 2012. What great team has McKenzie built with all those high picks? Dorsey I like but KC hasn’t won anything and it’s early in Cleveland.

Gute is chopping a lot of the dead wood left by TT, that’s a positive sign and a great start. But it’s a slow process with no guarantees, because it’s going to take a couple drafts to build up the roster again.

Personally I think it happens to every GM at some point, you lose the touch. Schneider built a HOF defense in his first couple drafts but Seattle has had a lot of stinkers since 2012. What great team has McKenzie built with all those high picks? Dorsey I like but KC hasn’t won anything and it’s early in Cleveland.

Nice insight. Part of yesterday might very well be Gute saying goodbye to some of TT's projects and ideas.

It is interesting how guys in front offices seem to go through ups and downs, but maybe it shouldn't be surprising. It might point to the idea that a little front office shuffling now and then might be a good thing - new blood, new ideas. It also points to how it is tough to stay on top. First off, you get good and so you get crappier draft picks. Second, to try and stay on top you probably start to focus more on need to plug holes. When you are at the bottom and starting out you can just draft BPA because you likely have holes everywhere so every pick fits.

Davis gave Gruden the keys to the store when he was hired. And if you followed Gruden in Tampa you would know that’s a recipe for disaster. It was nothing to die with tanking. Pure ego

I remember it well. Gruden did well his first year, but I think that had to do with the team Dungey had already built, and how well Kiffen was doing with the defense. They played tight games and lost a few of them with Dungey, but the defense stiffened a bit when Gruden arrived, and they won the Super Bowl. From there on in it was a roller coaster ride, because Gruden wanted total autonomy to do anything he wanted, without being questioned. This is the reason I've always feared Chucky becoming a candidate for the Packers HC job. He'd destroy the entire front office, and turn it into a serious mosh pit of yes men.

He has no clear path with the trade of Mack. I think he believes he's stock piling for the move. He seems to believe that to make the team better, he has to rid it of all it's star players and bring in new leaders and role players that fit his game. Right or wrong, that's what it seems to be. Like building a new expansion team from scratch, using the draft next year, and the following year, along with free agency.

And with Rollins officially gone (waived/injured not IR) this draft was as RB put it, less than an F

Back