The SS McCarthy looks like it’s about to sink

Murphy and MM will get a pass this year because they'll be able to throw TT under the bus for the deplorable state of the roster/organization. MM will say that TT prevented them from doing what they needed to.

I used to think MM was a goner. But now I think he'll be back.

Keep MM might as well point to 2023 as goal to turn around as MM won't be fired before a lockout then.

At this point I don't see much upside in firing MM before the end of the season. It's not like firing him early is going to light a fire under these guys. At this point, they are what they are. Sure you might win an extra game or two, but I think the playoffs are now a pipedream, and even if you make the playoffs, you aren't going deep. Might as well wait until the end or at least until after game #15.

Most of the good coaches are with good teams and you won't be able to interview them until after the season anyway. This thing needs to be rebuilt in the off-season. I don't think the Packers will have trouble attracting a high quality guy. Despite the supposed front office issues, it's still a pretty solid organization without a meddling owner. The football side of the operation is run by football people, not some hedge fund manager with delusions of grandeur. As bad as it is at the moment, it could be much worse and I think quality coaching candidates realize that.

This team is not a basket case. It has some talent and importantly, has a quality QB. A couple of OL, another quality WR, and a young TE and another RB and the offense can be potent. You can almost do that in one off-season. The plus is that you already have the highest value positions in place - QB, LT, and #1 WR. A RT, OG, #2/3WR, TE and RB are all positions that can be found in Rd 2 or later or are not going to break the bank in FA.

The defense is another matter, but again, it's not a wasteland. Clark and Daniels are solid. Martinez is a quality ILB. I think you have a couple of pretty good CBs. Safety is a mess that needs to be sorted out. You need to find some more pass rush, a DL, another ILB, another CB and 1 or 2 starting quality safeties. That's going to take a couple of off-seasons because several of those positions are high value and you need a number of high draft picks to acquire that talent or you need to be pretty active in FA. Not likely going to happen in a single year.

Back