So, what's the story with Kobe King?

EPe5Jv2XkAA_GYn

Hadn't seen that quote from King from the newspaper. Sounds like he's disappointed about not being "the man" on offense more. As was said above, he had the ability to create his own shot but being a tweener, that gets tougher when tough defensive teams assign a guy with some length to him. Even at other times he's had trouble finishing near the basket against defenders with any size.

Wonder how the transfer rules will work for him. Unless he can make some kind of hardship case for himself he'll have to sit out next year and then he'll only have one more year to play because he already took his red-shirt. If he graduates, I suppose he could play next year under the graduate transfer rules.

Hadn't seen that quote from King from the newspaper. Sounds like he's disappointed about not being "the man" on offense more. As was said above, he had the ability to create his own shot but being a tweener, that gets tougher when tough defensive teams assign a guy with some length to him. Even at other times he's had trouble finishing near the basket against defenders with any size.

Wonder how the transfer rules will work for him. Unless he can make some kind of hardship case for himself he'll have to sit out next year and then he'll only have one more year to play because he already took his red-shirt. If he graduates, I suppose he could play next year under the graduate transfer rules.
From what I gather King had 2 issues, one the system which is clear from the article and also was not thrilled with Gard being on his ass ( and justified). I have said before King is a very quiet kid so a coach getting on him probably was not the right mix. Lets remember how Bo rode Dekker. Your point about length is spot on, not just on offense but even on defense, he could guard Eastern at Purdue or Brown at MSU it was a mismatch. Just look at the numbers in league play vs Maryland, MSU, Purdue and Nebraska....6.8 PPG 1.8 RPG...0-4 from 3 and 10-34 overall.

As to transfer, he will have to sit out a year unless he gets a waiver and thats doubtful. His grades are fine but dont know if hes on schedule to graduate. Semesters have started so unless he goes to a school under the quarter system doubt he can enroll until spring

I see King admitted the frustration about not getting his shots. Sounds like what I said about Trice not giving up the ball when he should. Dribbling the clock out on possessions, then throwing up a desperation shot, instead of working to hit someone who's open. Not blaming Trice as much as I am Gard, because he's the one that calls the plays.

It's a team game, and Trice sure as H isn't Superman.

I see King admitted the frustration about not getting his shots. Sounds like what I said about Trice not giving up the ball when he should. Dribbling the clock out on possessions, then throwing up a desperation shot, instead of working to hit someone who's open. Not blaming Trice as much as I am Gard, because he's the one that calls the plays.

It's a team game, and Trice sure as H isn't Superman.
Not sure where you read were he said he's not getting his shots, that was not mentioned in his post on Instagram or any article in WSJ or MJS. And lets take a look at shots. King got his shots. In B1G games he leads the team in scoring @ 12.6 and second in FG attempts with 92, one behind Reuvers. He's also #3 on the team in total FGA despite playing 2 fewer games.

It's there, you just need to learn how to read statements not only for what's said, but how it's said, and what isn't said. Then add observation to the mix and you can usually piece together the real story. Did this all the time in the military and as a police officer. Now, add Zak's comment to the mix and your picture should be a lot clearer.

It actually goes deeper with the number of scholarship players that have opted to leave since Gard took over. I won't put that all on Gard, but he is the Captain of the watch. We're going to lose even more in-state boys to other schools the way it's going.

It's there, you just need to learn how to read statements not only for what's said, but how it's said, and what isn't said. Then add observation to the mix and you can usually piece together the real story. Did this all the time in the military and as a police officer. Now, add Zak's comment to the mix and your picture should be a lot clearer.

It actually goes deeper with the number of scholarship players that have opted to leave since Gard took over. I won't put that all on Gard, but he is the Captain of the watch. We're going to lose even more in-state boys to other schools the way it's going.
I know how to read thank you I read Zaks “twitter” conversation with Hero. Butch also weighed in. This is about one kid who was frustrated. But I guess disregard stats, he got his shots. He was in tears at half time of the Purdue game. Gard got in his grill for poor play and he could not take it. The only scholarship guy who left under Gard was Van Vliet who could not get off the end of the bench. As a matter of fact only 3 scholarship players who contributed have transferred in the last 20 years I get you don’t like Gard or Trice, that’s fine. But the classes coming in are solid. This is about 1 guys frustration and honestly his inability to take criticism. Best of luck to King.

Actually I do like Gard, and I think Trice could be a terrific point guard, if they utilized his talents. He can slash to the hole, and create open spaces for shots from the outside, all the way in to the paint. He's never been used the way he should be used.

I like Gard because he's level headed, and know that when he finally realizes he needs to be a little more creative in getting his players open looks, his recruiting will pay off. Until then, he's not nearly as good a coach as he can be. If he doesn't adjust, it's going to cost him his job, and recruiting will suffer. We have a level that should be maintained, and if that means changing head coaches, so be it. I just don't think this is the time to even consider that.

As far as Gard yelling at a player, Gard is one of the more lower key guys in the business. Imagine how King would have fared with Bo on the sidelines? Bo had an even quicker hook, and was constantly in players' faces to work harder, and improve their game. If King carries his feelings too much on his sleeve, so be it. But I do know that when a coach finds a player screwing up, he'd better come armed with a plan as to how the kid can improve his game, not yell at him for making mistakes. Constructive criticism works very well. That's why Bo didn't have too many kids upset with his demeanor. He was always coaching for better, and his players knew it. Not certain if Gard has that ability.

I'll say it again. The frustration isn't only with King. I've seen it with Davison as well. At times, it shows with Pritzl, and even Reuvers.

Back