So, what's the story with Kobe King?

Actually I do like Gard, and I think Trice could be a terrific point guard, if they utilized his talents. He can slash to the hole, and create open spaces for shots from the outside, all the way in to the paint. He's never been used the way he should be used.

I like Gard because he's level headed, and know that when he finally realizes he needs to be a little more creative in getting his players open looks, his recruiting will pay off. Until then, he's not nearly as good a coach as he can be. If he doesn't adjust, it's going to cost him his job, and recruiting will suffer. We have a level that should be maintained, and if that means changing head coaches, so be it. I just don't think this is the time to even consider that.

As far as Gard yelling at a player, Gard is one of the more lower key guys in the business. Imagine how King would have fared with Bo on the sidelines? Bo had an even quicker hook, and was constantly in players' faces to work harder, and improve their game. If King carries his feelings too much on his sleeve, so be it. But I do know that when a coach finds a player screwing up, he'd better come armed with a plan as to how the kid can improve his game, not yell at him for making mistakes. Constructive criticism works very well. That's why Bo didn't have too many kids upset with his demeanor. He was always coaching for better, and his players knew it. Not certain if Gard has that ability.

I'll say it again. The frustration isn't only with King. I've seen it with Davison as well. At times, it shows with Pritzl, and even Reuvers.
If in practice bring the kid aside tell him what he's doing wrong. If in a game kid is making mistakes and can't handle being yelled at he should take off the jersey and quit.

Actually I do like Gard, and I think Trice could be a terrific point guard, if they utilized his talents. He can slash to the hole, and create open spaces for shots from the outside, all the way in to the paint. He's never been used the way he should be used.

I like Gard because he's level headed, and know that when he finally realizes he needs to be a little more creative in getting his players open looks, his recruiting will pay off. Until then, he's not nearly as good a coach as he can be. If he doesn't adjust, it's going to cost him his job, and recruiting will suffer. We have a level that should be maintained, and if that means changing head coaches, so be it. I just don't think this is the time to even consider that.

As far as Gard yelling at a player, Gard is one of the more lower key guys in the business. Imagine how King would have fared with Bo on the sidelines? Bo had an even quicker hook, and was constantly in players' faces to work harder, and improve their game. If King carries his feelings too much on his sleeve, so be it. But I do know that when a coach finds a player screwing up, he'd better come armed with a plan as to how the kid can improve his game, not yell at him for making mistakes. Constructive criticism works very well. That's why Bo didn't have too many kids upset with his demeanor. He was always coaching for better, and his players knew it. Not certain if Gard has that ability.

I'll say it again. The frustration isn't only with King. I've seen it with Davison as well. At times, it shows with Pritzl, and even Reuvers.
I agree with most of this expect Bo didn’t have many kids upset with his demeanor. Dekker, Vito Brown and Jordan Hill come to mind right away. Butch & Gassar have come out in strong defense of Gard and most importantly now 4 key recruits

The problem with this program is that 2 FF have completely changed expectations for this program. That was 2 years of a perfect storm. Gard has had a 23 win season and a 27 win season in 3 full seasons, when he took over for Bo he took a team that was a hot mess to the Sweet 16. 3 Top 4 finishes in conference. His one bad year he has his top 3 players hurt, 1 who should have taken a RS and 2 walk ons getting playing time. I seriously don’t know what some people want.

As to King the issue was not on the court Those are his words in an article in the WSJ. He’s been unhappy since his freshman year and was ready to hang it up then. I have been told and heard by some folks in Madison that it’s a one player deal, King. Are others frustrated? Maybe but no more than some kids under Bo or Bennett.

This is big time D1 basketball. You lose your 4 or 5 star status when you sign your LOI. Showalter said it best. You play for the name on front of your jersey not the name on your back. King could not take the criticism

If in practice bring the kid aside tell him what he's doing wrong. If in a game kid is making mistakes and can't handle being yelled at he should take off the jersey and quit.
I agree with this but it’s ok for a coach to undress a guy in practice also. It’s not CYO ball. You think Huggins or Izzo would just play nice in practice?

One last thing on Gard’s system. It’s essentially the same that Bo ran with some tweaks. No used Jackson and Taylor exactly like Trice is used. Exceptions are Harris and Hughes, they were so quick off the dribble. If you don’t like the system that’s a legit debate but it’s been successful under Bo and Gard

One last thing on Gard’s system. It’s essentially the same that Bo ran with some tweaks. No used Jackson and Taylor exactly like Trice is used. Exceptions are Harris and Hughes, they were so quick off the dribble. If you don’t like the system that’s a legit debate but it’s been successful under Bo and Gard

Off topic, but when did the shot clock get shortened and has that had any impact on the system?

Back