Post-game Vikings Defeat GB 23-7

Rodgers has to play in the system, even if it’s boring. Throw on time, check the ball down, get the ball to the skill guys and let them do their job. LaFleur needs to stick to the run, pathetic lack of touches for Jones. He’s your best skill player, he needs 20-30 touches a game.

Defense was a convuluted mess on the back end at times, no excuse for it.

Said the same thing after Week 1 last year: it’s a long season and this is just 1 of 17.

Positives:

I think Doubs and Watson both looked athletic and I am glad they each got multiple opportunities in the passing game. I think and hope they can both get much better as the season progresses provided they get sufficient playing time.

The Watson drop was obviously enormous, but at least there is hope he, and to a lesser extent Doubs, can get chunk yardage as the season wears on. The rest of the receiving group is a bunch of plodders.

STs were not very noticeable and certainly not a disaster. And Mason was fine.

I thought both Dillon and A. Jones ran well.

Bobby T seemed to be running well coming off his ACL

Yosh seemed to hold his own at LT.

Walker looked good before going out with his injury and Jaire was his usual self.

Negatives:

Cobb lacks any burst and needs to be turned into WR 4 or 5 in short order.

Watkins looked like a player approaching 30, who has suffered a number of injuries, and is playing on his 5th team in 7 years.

Newman lacks physicality whether he plays G or T. He is a below average offensive lineman. In time, he might improve to at least average.

Hansen is a below average offensive lineman. I doubt he ever becomes even average.

I know MLF loves his multiple TE sets, but Lewis offers nothing in the passing game and Degaura and Davis both lack physicality and thus offer little in the running game.

Stokes had a rough game and should never be counted on to cover Justin Jefferson. Ever.

OLBs 3 & 4 played a lot and contributed little.

The run D was a major disappointment.

Not a very creative game plan by the coaching staff and not a very inspiring performance by the team.

I love the man, but I cannot stand #12 body language when we're down. eye rolls, frustration, pouting, and disinterested at the end of the bench during a huge defensive stand. This team needs a leader at QB.

I know he's never been that guy but at 50 mil plus your closing window, you would love to see him mature into that role.

Biggest minus - The O-Line is an absolute mess and I’d put their play as the #1 culprit for the loss but certainly, they weren’t the only ones who disappointed. Honestly, almost every facet of the team disappointed yesterday… defense, coaching, and WRs, all had a rough week.

Positives:

I think Doubs and Watson both looked athletic and I am glad they each got multiple opportunities in the passing game. I think and hope they can both get much better as the season progresses provided they get sufficient playing time.

The Watson drop was obviously enormous, but at least there is hope he, and to a lesser extent Doubs, can get chunk yardage as the season wears on. The rest of the receiving group is a bunch of plodders.

STs were not very noticeable and certainly not a disaster. And Mason was fine.

I thought both Dillon and A. Jones ran well.

Bobby T seemed to be running well coming off his ACL

Yosh seemed to hold his own at LT.

Walker looked good before going out with his injury and Jaire was his usual self.

Negatives:

Cobb lacks any burst and needs to be turned into WR 4 or 5 in short order.

Watkins looked like a player approaching 30, who has suffered a number of injuries, and is playing on his 5th team in 7 years.

Newman lacks physicality whether he plays G or T. He is a below average offensive lineman. In time, he might improve to at least average.

Hansen is a below average offensive lineman. I doubt he ever becomes even average.

I know MLF loves his multiple TE sets, but Lewis offers nothing in the passing game and Degaura and Davis both lack physicality and thus offer little in the running game.

Stokes had a rough game and should never be counted on to cover Justin Jefferson. Ever.

OLBs 3 & 4 played a lot and contributed little.

The run D was a major disappointment.

Not a very creative game plan by the coaching staff and not a very inspiring performance by the team.

Excellent analysis.

Plenty of coaching opportunities emerged, and we can pretty well count on there being some changes before next Sunday. I might add, O'Donnell did a great job pinning the Vikings inside the 20 on 3 of his 4 punts. That was a breath of fresh air.

Dillon had 4.5ypc, Jones had 11ypc. A shaky OL stabilizes when they start running the ball consistently.

ML seems powerless and unable to force the mighty 12 from actually running the play as called.
That went back to MM he pretty much let Rodgers and Favre have free regin

Repeat of game #1 from last year.

Learn* from it and move on.

(* By Learn, it would behoove ML to play starters for at least 1 game in pre-season as part of that “lesson learned” input)
Two cents
This seems to be the prevailing thought but every year is different. They're going to be at home next week which is big, and this team under ML just seems to need to get its ass beat every now and then to make them lock in and focus, but it's not the same cast of characters as last year, they don't have Adams to fall back on, and there are now a couple potentially major injuries on D to contend with, Quay Walker being the biggest because I thought he looked really good yesterday. On the plus side, if they get Jenkins back it's huge, as it takes Jake Hansen off the field and maybe sooner than later the staff will get their heads out of their asses and send Newman to the bench as well.

Repeat of game #1 from last year.

Learn* from it and move on.

(* By Learn, it would behoove ML to play starters for at least 1 game in pre-season as part of that “lesson learned” input)
Two cents

I think it's the 3rd time in 4 years that ML has not had the offense ready in week 1.

I'm not sure pre-season is the whole issue. The Vikings didn't play starters in pre-season and they looked ready from the first snap. I think there is something they are NOT doing correctly in practice in the weeks before the season starts. It's like practices are used to just "try things" rather than developing an identity and cohesive gameplan for week one.

Last thing - they need to stop over-thinking the o-line. Put the best 5 guys on the field. They have screwed up a number of times in the past few years by not going with their "best" options rather than their "veteran" options. We keep talking up Steno and ML, but they keep screwing this up. Another lesson they need to learn.

Back