Post Game Thread : Packers Pound The Giants 31-13

Oakleaf's point about conservative football was spot on. We've all tired of watching the McCarthy/Capers conservative game.

I can only guess how difficult it was for McCarthy to go for it on 4th down. It sent a message that the Packers were out there to win it, and nothing would stop them. The fact that they didn't make it was more because of the play itself, but what was established on those 3rd and 4th down runs was that the Packers were not afraid to run into the teeth of the Giants defense, so be prepared.

My first reaction was; "Why?" Then I realized the message he'd sent, and in all honesty, my wife and I looked at each other and both said; "It's all over but the shouting. We're going to win this one!"

Not only was a signal sent to the Giants, but one to our offense. He trusted them to make that play. He also sent a message to the defense. He said he trusted them to stop the Giants, on a short field.

Now, you can believe none of that came out of that series of plays, but in fact, it did. There is nothing stronger than the psychological part of the game of football.

If you played it, and your team was a winner, you know the psychological edge you can get over the opposition. As soon as you drop that hammer, it's all over for them. Ask the Giants.
Ed Zachary!

I'm curious, who's nailing him to the cross? Send link please.

I agree that many think that it was a stupid call (myself included) and rightfully so. But, lest we forget, here's the thing ...

We all were getting tired of MM's conservative playoff play-calling we witnessed against Seattle in numerous instances and against Arizona kicking an extra point instead of going for two forcing OT. So which would you rather have? As much as I hated the call I give MM credit for going for it as opposed to past conservatism and prevent D. It was refreshing.

Also, MM admitted it wasn't the smartest call at the time saying, "As a playcaller, as a head coach you’re sick to yourself. You feel totally responsible for the decision and the execution of the play and so forth, and then give up the play on the second down. But there was still a lot of football left." And there was. It was nice watching the Packers keep the throttle down and winning 38-13. I even laughed when Randall opted to run out the football instead of taking a knee, remembering Burnett's fateful decision.

No, these guys weren't about conservative this time! And I for one was glad and hope it continues!
I agree with what your saying Oak; however, there is a difference between being conservative and being stupid. You are by 8 at home and your D is playing well against a crap offense. Also, you are on your side of the field at your own 40.
It is different if you are at their 35 or 40 but you aren't. You dont get it, like we didnt and noe they only have 39 yards to score a TD and possibly tie it up.
Conservative next to stupid, IMO.

I have no issue with MM going for it on 4th. That's the kind of moxie that can win you a playoff game. Doesn't always work. But it never works if you don't try.
I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't at their own 40-ish yard line. If you're past mid-field, go for it. But two plays and the Giants score a TD. Be gutsy, but be smart about it.

I wish he'd been that determined in the NFC Championship game with Seattle! I couldn't believe they kicked two 1 yard FG's in that game...when you have battering rams like Lacy and Kuhn?! Maybe MM is finally figuring since the team is putting it all out there, he should too. For the most part, I like it!

I guess what most of us are saying is that, if McCarthy has changed, and is willing to be a riverboat gambler at times, the Packers can become unpredictable, and actually a threat to anyone on the field. Whether or not going for it on your own end of the field was a good choice doesn't really matter. What did matter is that he had the guts to finally do it, and most of us have been waiting to see him actually become aggressive in his play calling.

Sometimes you need to do something so dumb that it actually makes sense. Maybe that's exactly what happened. I do know they never looked back, and kept the heat on until the final whistle. That - in itself - was good for the team.

Sometimes you need to do something so dumb that it actually makes sense. Maybe that's exactly what happened. I do know they never looked back, and kept the heat on until the final whistle. That - in itself - was good for the team.

I was one who said to go for it. After, a lot of people were worried about a momentum shift. Mo never looked back because most didn't have too. Mo was securely planted on the GB sideline after that play.

I guess what most of us are saying is that, if McCarthy has changed, and is willing to be a riverboat gambler at times, the Packers can become unpredictable, and actually a threat to anyone on the field. Whether or not going for it on your own end of the field was a good choice doesn't really matter. What did matter is that he had the guts to finally do it, and most of us have been waiting to see him actually become aggressive in his play calling.

Yes, exactly. You can't and I won't argue that it was a smart call... It really wasn't. But it may have been the right call. It sent a positive message to the offense and defense. After an offense and defense failure I can see team leaders saying, "Look, Mike trusted the offense to get the first, and the defense to hold them if they don't - is this how we're going to respond?". And then responding by scoring 24, giving up none. MM let them play and they did respond. You can't argue that.

Or, for those of us on the other side of the glass, it never fails if you don't try. :)

Or, for those of us on the other side of the glass, it never fails if you don't try. :)
I didn't mind going for it, just thought they'd have something better than running into the strength of their defense. A bootleg would of looked better. IMO.

You have the lead. You have momentum. Your defense is playing well. NY offense is a mess YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN 42.....PUNT THE DAMN BALL

Back