Post Game Thread: Lions Upset Green Bay At Home

There was a lot of pre-pass contact (both teams DBs) but two blatant PI calls against them. There was one where Cobbs arm was grabbed and held, then the jersey tug on Adams. The second one is called 99 times out of 100 but this crew chose not to. Later that night Richard Sherman got called for PI on a jersey tug that was half as bad.

I think a lot of it was Adams losing concentration and focus, and dropping balls that were contested but ultimately hit his hands. Just catch them, and blame yourself if you don't.

Adams broke open three times in the first two drives for plays that would have either been big gainers or TDs only to have AR miss him 6 feet over his head or in the dirt 5 feet in front of him.

This in particular I have noticed going back to last year. Whenever Rodgers appears to be wildly inaccurate, Adams is usually the target. Given that Rodgers is usually very accurate I'm included to think Adams is the problem most of the time. It's reminds me a lot of Finley when he was here. You wonder how the normally accurate Rodgers could miss so badly, but then you begin to see a pattern. It was always the same guy. Not that Rodgers has played well this year (especially by his standards). But I think we need to consider the possibility that Adams might be a rare miss for TT at the WR position.

Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2015/film-room-davante-adams

Yes, thanks for sharing that! I'm torn on Adams. On the one hand I do see the talent level there. On the other, we talk about the Jeff Janis hype train, Adams is the second year guy we should be more concerned about. I still say that last gif they posted is more on AR for not tracking Adams better, and while the Watkins gif was instructive, it's not fair comparing Adams as a late 2nd rounder to the #4 overall pick and one of the most explosive players in the league. I'd also bet the ankle injury is still contributing to the lack of playing speed.

All that said, he found ways to get open for potential big plays. AR hit him in the hands. He dropped them, and THATS most concerning to me. Lack of focus.

For everything that's been said about Rodgers' trust issues, he targeted a very flawed WR 21 times last week. Rodgers seems to think there's something there, so maybe he'll come around.

For everything that's been said about Rodgers' trust issues, he targeted a very flawed WR 21 times last week. Rodgers seems to think there's something there, so maybe he'll come around.

I think the trust issues were in regards to Abby and Janis, may Perillo

This in particular I have noticed going back to last year. Whenever Rodgers appears to be wildly inaccurate, Adams is usually the target. Given that Rodgers is usually very accurate I'm included to think Adams is the problem most of the time. It's reminds me a lot of Finley when he was here. You wonder how the normally accurate Rodgers could miss so badly, but then you begin to see a pattern. It was always the same guy. Not that Rodgers has played well this year (especially by his standards). But I think we need to consider the possibility that Adams might be a rare miss for TT at the WR position.

I think we're scape goating Adams a little here. Arod is definitely off this year compared to previous years. Adams has nothing to do with Arod missing Cobb. He is only half way through his sophomore year and we're declaring him a miss? He needs to work on his focus, but has also flashed enough potential for me to believe he still has a chance. He came up big in the NE and Dallas games last year as a rookie. Until recently WRs were thought to take three years to really come into their own. Plenty of other things wrong with this offense, not all on our second year WR, IMO.

I think we're scape goating Adams a little here. Arod is definitely off this year compared to previous years. Adams has nothing to do with Arod missing Cobb. He is only half way through his sophomore year and we're declaring him a miss? He needs to work on his focus, but has also flashed enough potential for me to believe he still has a chance. He came up big in the NE and Dallas games last year as a rookie. Until recently WRs were thought to take three years to really come into their own. Plenty of other things wrong with this offense, not all on our second year WR, IMO.

He has come up big, and he hasn't. Had some big catches against NE, but remember he dropped a slant that hit him in the hands that would have been a walk in TD to seal that game. Then last week again Carolina he dropped a similar throw on third down that would have put GBbin position to tie with a two pointer. (Cobb subsequently converted for a new set of downs near the 5 so the play gets obverlooked) Point is, of course the jury is out still but right now he's flubbed more big catches than made in his very young career.

I didn't mean to imply that Rodgers and the other players on the team don't deserve a share of the blame. I think a lot of people think a 2nd round WR drafted by Thompson is "can't miss" because he's hit on several before in that area of the draft. But a lot of people have watched the film and found a lot of shortcomings. Someone today compared him to Harry Douglas. I would LOVE to be wrong and have him turn out to be everything Rodgers thinks he is.

I'm not smart enough to know how many of his shortcomings are correctable. He can probably learn to run better routes. I don't know if a persons' hands can get better with time. Can a person learn to track balls in the air or win contested catches or produce consistently after the catch? Someone smarter than me will have to answer those questions.

Can a person learn to track balls in the air or win contested catches or produce consistently after the catch?

I'm probably not smarter than you, but the answer is yes. Those are skills that can be honed like any other. Heck, there are even a couple of drills for the first two. For the third, it's all about being aware of your surroundings: knowing when and where the defender is, what kind of technique he's using to cover you, giving a false move after the catch and turning the other way.

It can be done.

Back