Post Game Thread: Lions Upset Green Bay At Home

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Despite a late rally GB comes up short...

With his team facing third-and-9 late in the fourth quarter, scratching and clawing for first downs to melt the clock and preserve a 12-10 lead, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford thought he was going to be sacked.
Surrounded by bodies, he tucked the ball to prevent a fumble and sidestepped to his left, toward the green grass that would open a throwing lane. Lifting his feet to avoid swiping arms, Stafford broke free outside the left hash marks.
He fired a strike to Calvin Johnson for 13 yards and a new set of downs. Four precious, time-wasting downs.
Needing only chunks of 10 yards to preserve a victory, the Lions offense chugged to life. A reverse to Golden Tate picked up a first down. A pass to Tate over the middle gave way to horrific tackling by the Green Bay Packers and a 43-yard gain.
The ball moved to within 12 feet of the end zone and a historic upset. On second and goal, Stafford fired a strike to Lance Moore that scored a touchdown that looked to be enough to snap a losing streak in the state of Wisconsin dating back to 1991.
But kicker Matt Prater missed the extra point, his second of the day, and breathed a sliver of life back into Lambeau Field. With the score 18-10 in favor of the Detroit Lions, the Packers, with just under 2 minutes to go, needed only a touchdown and 2-point conversion to tie.

The touchdown came on a rifled pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers to backup tight end Justin Perillo, who snuck between two layers of the defense for a crucial score. The 2-point conversion went awry when defensive back Crezdon Butler knocked the ball away from Davante Adams in the end zone.
Still, the Packers were given another chance. The onside kick attempt clanged off the hands and right shoulder of receiver Calvin Johnson, one of the most sure-handed players in the National Football League, and rookie Damarious Randall made the recovery.

Trailing 18-16, the Packers needed just a field goal to win. They had 36 seconds to do it. They moved into position with passes from Rodgers to Adams, setting up a 52-yard attempt by Mason Crosby.

The kick came off Crosby's foot low and with a strange spin. It never came close, falling short and right. Somewhow, the Lions prevailed, 18-16.
The Packers losing streak has reached three consecutive games.

Turning point: An unsightly first half that featured putrid third-down conversion rates for both teams ended in a stalemate, 3-3. But running back Ameer Abdullah brought the opening kickoff out from several yards deep and returned in 104 yards to within inches of the end zone. Micah Hyde dragged him down at the 1-yard line. The Packers’ defense stopped the Lions twice before succumbing on third down, when Stafford connected with tight end Brandon Pettigrew for a touchdown that changed the complexion of the game. Through two quarters the Packers played disappointing football, especially on offense, but found themselves tied on the scoreboard. After Pettigrew’s touchdown, they had to dig themselves out. Game on.
Big number: 42 — Receiving yards for Jared Abbrederis on the crucial touchdown drive that closed the margin to a one-score game midway through the fourth quarter. Ahead of Jeff Janis on the depth chart, Abbrederis caught passes for 4 yards, 6 yards before hauling in a vital 32-yarder down the right sideline to give the Packers a goal-to-go opportunity.

What went right: A frantic comeback attempt against the Carolina Panthers last week featured plenty of no-huddle offense and crisp passing by Rodgers, and it looked early on like that momentum would carry over to Sunday’s game. Behind plenty of quick throws from Rodgers — four to Davante Adams alone — the Packers moved quickly into field goal range on their first possession. Though the drive ultimately stalled when Rodgers overthrew Adams on the right sideline (more on that later), the profitable 12-play trek was a positive sign for a group that had been searching for itself of late.
Across the ball, the Packers’ defense played very solid football after three consecutive thrashings. They held Stafford to under 250 yards passing and never allowed either tailback — Abdullah or Joique Bell — to get into a rhythm.

What went wrong: The opening drive for the Packers was beautiful, but everything after that was a disaster until — you guessed it — a frantic fourth-quarter comeback. A masterful use of the no-huddle offense by Rodgers triggered the game’s first points, and what followed could only be described as strange. The hyper-accurate Rodgers missed passes high (two to Adams, including one that may have been a touchdown) and skipped other balls short (at least twice) in a performance that was puzzling and atypical. His stat line through three quarters — 18-of-32 for 148 yards, zero touchdowns — embodied a stagnant offense that has been stuck in the mud for a month. Until, of course, they came to life late in the game to nearly pull off the improbable.

Last edited:
I'll start with the good side. Thought the D played well the entire game beside the last drive. Randall is this years MVP and it's not even close. Our secondary when healthy IMO is the best in the league. Really scary it took two games after the bye for Capers to realize on the outside you should have Randall/Sheilds and nickel be Hayward.

Pass Rush-Can someone put an APB out for it? The last 3 games there' been awful and they've played two terrible o lines and I don't think they have a sack. Peppers was great last year, but he's been truly awful this year and Neal/Perry can't get to the QB. Maybe one year we'll get an ILB so we can put our best defensive player in a spot he can succeed.

ST-Really hasn't been an issue and the **** the bed in ever phase today. Hyde couldn't cost us more field position today if he tried. Matshay isn't an NFL punter and the kick coverage team really helped out today. Crosy of course with the shank of all shanks today.

The Offense-Really don't know where to start. We missed plenty of opportunities the first half due to Rodgers accuracy and then the second half we had what like 3 or 4 straight 3 and outs? Then all of a sudden the knife is at our throats and we go down 75 yards like it's no big deal. Time to fire Clements.

This is the weirdest season. I think it's the perfect storm. They lose Jordy. MM gives up play-calling and to top it off all the injuries. There is no cohesion on the offense and there is no stability. Aaron has lost 2 security blankets. Jordy and MM. Nothing seems to be working.

The defense seemed to play better but to not get anything going at home against the Lions....that just speaks for itself.

I have no clue what is wrong. It's obvious they don't either. I'll try to enjoy the rest of the season but I can't see them turning it around now. They have no confidence on offense and we play the Vikings next week. At this point I am not expecting them to do much going forward.

It's too bad but that's the way it goes some years.

It's nice to see the last two losses before this one did absolutely nothing to affect the way the team prepares and goes about its business.

I see no reason to see why this one would.
There was absolutely no urgency until the final two drives, and that's on Aaron Rodgers. I wanna say this loss tarnishes his precious legacy forever. It's on him.

No excuse for so many dropped passes by Cobb and Adams. No excuse for not having formations and route packages that feature an open receiver. No excuse for Rodgers/Clements not having "hot routes" to handle the obvious blitz. No excuse for taking so much time off the clocks to run one play.

It's pathetic, and the offense needs to look in the mirror.

If it's obvious next week that there is nothing different about the team, then that's it. I don't see how they win another game save the one against Chicago.

If we couldn't beat a 1-7 Lions team at home, where they haven't gotten a W since 1991, even with the benefit of two missed XPs and an onside kick recovery, then I'm not sure what other evidence folks need to see to show our problems are serious and season-altering.

Quick Slants: Week 10 vs Detroit, by Jeremy VanDerLinden

• This game was trash.
  • Nate Palmer got the start over Jake Ryan at inside linebacker. I really don’t see the benefit there. Palmer is just a guy. Ryan will be the starter by next season. Ryan has a good understanding of the game. With more experience and some time in the weight room, he should improve greatly.
  • Jared Abbredaris is clearly the fourth wide receiver on the roster. Saw a lot of playing time early on. Had some nice catches late. Sorry, Jeff Janis fans. Fingers crossed on Abbredaris being healthy.
  • When Micha Hyde is covering a tight end I have a hard time not covering my eyes. I can’t stand seeing him trail open guys over the middle.

Thank you for reading. Jeremy VanDerLinden is a lead writer and owner of Titletown Sound Off. You can follow him on Twitter @TTSO_Jeremy. For even more Packers content, follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Read The Rest Here > @http://titletownsoundoff.com/ ...

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the actual hell did I just watch? This was a failure on an organizational level. From the coaching staff to the players to the GM. I don't think there are any easy answers for it.

In the last two games, we've gone from potentially pissing away home field advantage to now potentially pissing away the division if we lose to the Vikings next week.

Go back and watch the receivers routes, they are beyond lazy. Rounding off their routes, stopping their routes, no misdirection steps. I am thinking Van Pelt as WR coach is not working out.

Nate Palmer and Daniels run that mouth but only play half speed sometimes. That should be corrected.

This football team is flat and you can tell is losing confidence in one another. HC has to step up soon.

This an all around fail in every aspect.

People talk about how the defense did well - sorry, not buying. Not a single sack on Stafford. Only 3 hits on him the whole game. With some better pressure, there might have been better field position situations and maybe another pick or two that would have led to a FG or two.

Special teams - almost complete collapse. Hyde is not a dynamic returner, but is dependable. Punt coverage was decent. Kick coverage - not good. Not even close to good. Kick return - almost nothing. Punting . . . really . . . there has to be a punter available who can do what Mathay is doing right now. Crosby has been OK on kick-offs and did a nice job on the on-side, but the first FG was beyond d.and the 2nd one was just ridiculously bad. Complete mishit on an ideal day.

Offense - where do you even start. OL is mediocre at best. Perhaps injuries are an issue, but other team have OL issues and seem to manage. Our problem seems to be that a limping BahkT and Bulaga are far better than the back-ups and that speaks to a depth problem. Running game is not good, in part because of OL and partly because Lacy is just a shadow of himself. WRs lack speed and the route running seems to lack suddenness and there really is very little separation. AR as inaccurate as I've ever seen him. Makes me think something is wrong. I've seen him rubbing his hand at times. Wonder if there is a grip problem.

It would take some sort of miracle to change course this season. Playing as they are now, I currently see only 2-3 wins left at most. I suspect that will leave the team watching the playoffs from their couches. Who would have thought that was possible 4 weeks ago. While I haven't given up on them completely, I just don't see what would happen to change their fortunes going forward.

Back