Post Game Thread : GB Defeats Oakland 30-20

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
For a quarterback as talented Aaron Rodgers, the league’s reigning Most Valuable Player, truly puzzling decisions are few and far between. He operates at such a high level on offense, changing plays and manipulating defenses with his cadence, that you often feel as if he controls the entire game.

But on second and 9 from the 15-yard line, with 2:44 remaining in a game his team led by 10, Rodgers made a strange choice. He threw the football at a time when running out the clock seemed advisable. He flung a pass toward two defenders, and cornerback David Amerson made an easy interception.

Fortunately for Rodgers and the Packers, their second-half comeback was already complete. A lightning-quick touchdown in the third quarter, which answered an impressive 81-yard march by the Oakland Raiders, reclaimed the lead. Two more scoring drives secured a victory through field goals by Mason Crosby.

A game that began swiftly — a 14-0 lead after two interceptions by Derek Carr — teetered momentarily in the third quarter until Rodgers and the offense jolted to life. They needed just three plays to cover 53 yards after a terrific kickoff by Jeff Janis, surging in front of the Raiders just 62 seconds after the home team had taken its first lead.

The Raiders never led again. The Packers held on, 30-20, and improved their record to 10-4.
Player of the Game: James Jones. The production from Jones, 31, could best be described as erratic this season. His last seven games entering Sunday have looked like this: 2 yards, 57 yards, 0 yards, 109 yards, 0 yards, 19 yards, 49 yards. But Jones was close to his best Sunday, catching six balls for 82 yards and scoring a crucial touchdown to give the Packers a second-half lead. With sure hands and veteran savvy along the sideline, Jones kept the passing game afloat at times.

Turning point: The Raiders surged in front on a 26-yard touchdown pass from Derek Carr to Amari Cooper near the midway point of the third quarter. But a significant swing in momentum was answered immediately by the Packers, who began their next drive with excellent field position after a 47-yard kickoff return by Jeff Janis. The offense covered 53 yards in three plays — all completions by Aaron Rodgers — and reached the end zone on what appeared to be a blown coverage by the Raiders. Wideout James Jones broke free down the right sideline and caught an easy 30-yard touchdown from Rodgers. The quick-strike drive put the Packers in front, 24-20, and they did not relinquish the lead.

Big number: 120 — Receiving yards for rookie Amari Cooper, a first-round pick by the Raiders, who took advantage of the absence of veteran Sam Shields (concussion) and overwhelmed Damarious Randall throughout the game.

What went right: The Packers had played solid defense for the majority of their last five games, clamping down on opposing receivers and proving stout enough against the run. But there are times when this unit struggles to generate takeaways, and that certainly changed Sunday. The Packers intercepted Carr twice in the first quarter and turned those plays into 14 points, including a “pick six” by rookie Damarious Randall. Offensively, the passing game showed signs of percolation with multiple back-shoulder throws from quarterback Aaron Rodgers to veteran James Jones. Rodgers, who finished 22 of 39 for 204 yards and one touchdown, also made a number of timely conversions by scrambling to extend plays.

What went wrong: So many of the nagging problems for this offense, which entered Sunday ranked 18th in the National Football League, resurfaced on a drizzly afternoon in Oakland. There was a fumble by tailback James Starks, which led to a touchdown drive for the Raiders. There were multiple failed running plays on third-and-short, and Eddie Lacy was stifled twice for no gain. There were dropped passes, with wide receiver Davante Adams misplaying a ball in the end zone and Jeff Janis failing on third down inside the 5-yard line. On defense, where the Packers snagged two early interceptions of quarterback Derek Carr, rookie cornerback Damarious Randall struggled to contain Amari Cooper, another player in his first season. Cooper finished with six catches for 120 yards and twoS scores.

Lots of sloppy play on this, a lot of bend but don't break by the defense and I'm not sure how much the rain impacted both sides of that ball.

That said it's hard to win on the road in the NFL. Hopefully we didn't lose are LT long term.

Lots of sloppy play on this, a lot of bend but don't break by the defense and I'm not sure how much the rain impacted both sides of that ball.

That said it's hard to win on the road in the NFL. Hopefully we didn't lose are LT long term.
This is a lot more generous than I'm willing to be. Just makes me mad that we could've blown this team out, but couldn't execute up to acceptable standards on play after play- drops, missed tackles, allowing an easy TD late 1st half, not converting ever on 3rd and short, not scoring TDs in redzone/goal line etc etc etc.

That said, of course I ll take it.

They needed just three plays to cover 53 yards after a terrific kickoff by Jeff Janis, surging in front of the Raiders just 62 seconds after the home team had taken its first lead.

Boy, that'a a really sneaky way to inform the fans that Crosby's hurt. Very, very poorly handled, and quite disrespectful to Crosby, too.

Thoroughly disappointed is the game despite the outcome. Offense was horrible in the first half and only a little better in the second. Defense was fortunate to get a couple INTs on really bad decisions/throws by Carr but after he settled he looked like a pro-bowler. No answer for Cooper or Murray for most of the game. I fear a blowout next week vs. the Cards which for a while I was holding out hope for an upset. It can still happen but not with play like yesterday. The field conditions yesterday were the worst I can remember and the Packers have played at soldier field in some crap conditions when the turf there was awful. No one could stay on their feet. Guys were falling down all over the place.

I just watched Rodgers press conference and from looking at him and listening, something happened in the locker room after the game that isn't good. See his comment to the question at 4:45 in the video.
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ff-berth/e23ceebf-d280-4823-8b40-19a0625242dd

Last edited:
Packers have been playing sloppy all year and have got lucky with a few wins but have also cost them games. If they play how they did against the Raiders next week vs AZ this won't be a contest. AZ will hand this team it's butt if they come out with the sloppy offense again.

It's gonna be a very short post season....

I just watched Rodgers press conference and from looking at him and listening, something happened in the locker room after the game that isn't good. See his comment to the question at 4:45 in the video.
http://www.packers.com/media-center...ff-berth/e23ceebf-d280-4823-8b40-19a0625242dd

Hard to say. But I can't see how any team with serious playoff aspirations would be happy about that game. My cynical side says that guys in the locker room has they "we won it's all good" thing going. And Arod is always "we can do better".. He certainly didn't looked happy during that presser. But Arod never shows much emotion to begin with........

It's gonna be a very short post season....

Hard to say. But I can't see how any team with serious playoff aspirations would be happy about that game. My cynical side says that guys in the locker room has they "we won it's all good" thing going. And Arod is always "we can do better".. He certainly didn't looked happy during that presser. But Arod never shows much emotion to begin with........

Agree it seems the attitude this year is a win is a win and if they lose no big deal we will bounce back. You see many other winning teams that will say a sloppy win is that they got lucky and that they need to improve if they want to contend in the playoffs. IMO the Packers lack any leaders to go into the lockerroom and say this and get guys fired up and hold them accountable for poor play. Right now it seems like there are 53 guys in there just doing their thing and no one wants to point a finger at the guy next to him saying hey you played bad today we need to to step up and play better.

Biggest red flag for me during game was that lame celebration after the first INT.. First Q INT they didn't even return it for a TD and they're celebrating like they just won the Superbowl. I'm all for showing emotion, but that was ridiculous. Lack of discipline. Lucky for them those 15 yards didn't cost them a TD. But against a playoff team it probably would have.

Agreed CD. MM better have handed those guys an ass whooping after the game or today at practice. Especially, since Hyde has been invisible all year and then he acts like he is this superstar after 1 INT.

I have to watch the tape again to post some feedback. :)

Back