Post Game Thread: Amazingly, GB defeats San Francisco

He may have adjusted to the deep ball but they still couldn’t stop the run. I don’t think SF did anything special, our front just didn’t get off blocks. This was like the Pitt preseason game for 3.5 quarters. What a mess. Gurley might set the single game record against us in two weeks.

For the most part, it has been the play of the Safeties that has hurt the deep passing game, and the secondary misses the energy of Jaire Alexander at CB. I'm hoping that his returning after the BYE and the addition of Breeland changes the dynamics at CB, and maybe might allow them to try T-Will at Safety?
T-Will to Safety?

Pettines defensive philosophy emphasizes stopping the pass first, while minimizing the impact of the run.
Pettines Philosophy

Mark nailed it on the head with his comment about Shanahan calling run plays that took advantage of an over pursuing defense. While Pettine made passing defense adjustments later in the game, they never solved the run issue and this could become the real achilles heel of this defense as they enter the 2nd half stretch of the season, and especially against teams that run the ball well (Hello Rams?!)

They've got 2 weeks to heal up and make some adjustments/corrections to ALL THREE PHASES of the game.

Offense:
MM still doesn't get the ball to one of his better skill players enough, in Aaron Jones.
Glad to see Crosby have a "redemption" game after last week.
All three rookie WR's made themselves known, but MVS is showing that he has the potential to become something that opposing defenses will have to worry about.

Defense:
Gap discipline needs to be hammered home to minimize what we saw in the run defense last night.
Fixing the issues on the backend (Safety) needs to be front and center. I had hoped Brice would become a factor, and he has..................a negative factor.
Without a consistent pass rush, you will put too much pressure on the DB's, and it doesn't matter how good the DB's are, as we saw a mediocre backup QB look like a quality starter last night.

ST's:
Penalties, lane discipline, and poor tackling seem to be their calling card so far on coverage teams.
I wonder if we might see Kendall Donnerson called up to replace Tony Brown during the BYE?

tramon to safety might help. it can't be worse than brice . . . can it? pettine sure made breeland sound good in his postgame presser. if he can make tramon redundant as a cornerback, maybe it works. alexander has looked good at times, but will he be the same after the injury?

Packers D is putrid no if's and or but's about it this D is god awful. The offense did well outside of Montgomery who is worthless in all aspects. Though this game should not have been close the D was giving up tons of plays of 5+ yards and was missing lot's of tackles. MM though needs to change up his play calling stop with the run pass pass every time.

This team has a lot of work to fix mistakes if they don't the Rams will destroy this team by 20+

A mediocre team with a soon-to-be 35 yr old qb who eats up the salary cap and a HC who has stayed 2 years past his time. Nice. This team is really frustrating to watch right now. I'm glad I get a week off.

Hey, did you hear the Brewers won 4-0?

Packers seem to trail most of the game to the 49ers. While a win is good, comebacks are not the measure of a good team. Defeating a team with Bobby Bethard, or CJ Bethard, or CW McCall at QB should have been a matter for the defense and they failed for another half. Which has become very common this year.

Looked like the Packers had Bell at RT and I am guessing McCray at RG, which seemed to yield some pressure on the QB. Not ideal.

On the plus side, 31 points for an offense down about 4 starters is nothing to sneeze at.

You always want to see them win, but it reminds me a bit of the Herb Kohl Bucks teams. Just good enough to make things interesting, but not good enough to be taken seriously.

The reality is they are 3 great performances late by #12 from being a 1-5 team. And it’s not like they have been facing murderers row in terms of quality opponents.

What they miss in defensive talent and injuries on offense they make up for with mediocre coaching in terms of preparation and execution. The end result is a pretty ordinary squad - or a team that’s 3-2-1 heading into a brutal stretch of games.

Hope for the best, but may have to expect the worst. The next couple of games in particular will define whether they sink or swim because right now they look like a team that’s treading water.

They found the backside lane vs an over-aggressive defense, it's the Achilles heel of MP scheme and you had a play caller that used that against him. If they had 1 more really good WR on that team we lose by 2 scores.
Hey... I wonder what that's like having a play caller that adjusts to the game that's actually being played right in front of him?! That must be an awesome feeling! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but in my opinion, this regime needs to go. I think that's the Eeyore look people talk about on Aaron's face. He knows things are going nowhere until changes are made. Just my opinion...

Back