Post Game Thread: Amazingly, GB defeats San Francisco

I have no idea what to say about the defense. Mark said it best - I believe. We were fortunate the 49ers didn't have one more solid receiver who could have made us pay dearly, after the Packers adjusted to protect against the long ball. Lots of missed tackles as well, and horrible outside containment. Fortunately Beathard isn't that good. We could have been smoked!

On offense - We need to ask ourselves one simple question. What is it that's happening during the last couple of minutes of ball games that makes Rodgers and the offense so effective? I'm not going to buy in that McCarthy saves the best for last. I'm not even going to buy into him being the one making the calls. I see the Packers put a specific player package on the field and pretty much turning the game over to Rodgers to win. He may be getting "advice" from McCarthy over the headset near the end, but I have a hunch it's Rodgers game at that point, and he chooses what works based on what he's seen for most of the game. They do very little substitution during that time, except on incomplete passes.

On offense - We need to ask ourselves one simple question. What is it that's happening during the last couple of minutes of ball games that makes Rodgers and the offense so effective?

couldn't it just be something as simple as the other team going to a "prevent" style of defense? just trying to stop the big scoring play? keep the defenders between the offense and the end zone? i mean capers always used to do that at the end of games (it never worked). i think most teams have a different mode of defense that they play in those last few minutes when they are trying to preserve a win (or a tie as in this case).

couldn't it just be something as simple as the other team going to a "prevent" style of defense? just trying to stop the big scoring play? keep the defenders between the offense and the end zone? i mean capers always used to do that at the end of games (it never worked). i think most teams have a different mode of defense that they play in those last few minutes when they are trying to preserve a win (or a tie as in this case).
I think its tempo and not allowed the defense to sub and yes let Rodgers control the flow, no different than Brady does or Brees or Manning did in a hurry up offense. Many time 2 or 3 plays will be called in the huddle and "check with me" at the line

after sleeping on it, i still say our defense is horrible. we got carved up by a bunch of nobodies. i shudder to think what a real nfl offense like los angeles, new england, or atlanta is going to do to us. i don't think san francisco needed another decent wide receiver to beat us. i think that if beathard doesn't get impatient in the final two minutes and throw that long ball against our best corner, they would have easily moved into field goal range and won the game. they were gaining big chunks of yards on virtually every play.

This is textbook MM packers right here. Playing down to competition in prime time.

For those who say the defense isn’t any better I’d have to strongly disagree. We still give up a ton of points and yards but the main differences are that we hold late in games and our DC makes adjustments. Two things which never happened when Capers was the coordinator. Last night was a good example of this. Defense looks atrocious early on, and packers look like they’re going to give up 40 + to a bad 49ers team. However, adjustments are made at halftime and packers tighten in the second half. It’s still not a good defense by any means, but I think it’s got the right guy coaching it.

This is not a good football team. I said 10-6 before the season, but now I think that looks overly optimistic. Packers remind me of a team we’ve seen in other sports who have gotten old and stale and their window is closed. I think they’re definitely at the end of their run here.

A bit of a rant but some perspective. What we saw last night was a microcosm of todays NFL especially the NFC. One borderline elite team (LA) and 15 others in a bucket who can win big or get blown out any given Sunday. Its a combination of injuries, overall depth and a depleted talent pool overall. Same with the AFC, you have a NE who looks very beatable and KC but who else do you trust week to week? Like it or not this is what the NFL has wanted. Parity to the extreme. Ratings are up, ad revenue is up so get used to it

For those who say the defense isn’t any better I’d have to strongly disagree. We still give up a ton of points and yards but the main differences are that we hold late in games and our DC makes adjustments.
Against who at QB did those adjustments work ?, let's see those adjustments against Ryan and Brady. Why did Det/Wash make it work ? Because a vet QB didn't panic vs those adjustments. I think MP is overrated and this defense is surviving on pure luck rather then skill. tc(

This is a survive to fight another day kind of win. Nothing was really fixed. But the bye should help. hope(

Back