Post Game : Packers over NE 27-24 in OT

Not really. Sure, that's a part of it, but it's way more than that.

For years Ted and Gute mostly ignored special teams in terms of drafting, signing, or keeping players specifically for that purpose. They cheaped out on special teams coaches a couple of times and that cost them as well.

Ted just filled the team with draft picks and UDFA's rather than bringing in veterans, even in the years where they had CAP room. He had some truly awful drafts at the end and did nothing in FA to compensate.

They haven't had a truly capable weapon at tight end in what, five or six years and Ted/Gute's way of addressing it was picking Deguara - ugh.

Murphy allowed Ted to hang around a couple of years too long and both he and Ted allowed MM to coach one or two years too long. Murphy also forced ML to keep Pettine (cheaping out) instead of letting him bring in his own DC.

That's just the ones I can quickly think of, I'm sure others can think of more.
additionally, when was the last time that ted thompson or gutey spent a high draft pick on a receiver or a tight end? i mean sure, rodgers can make do with receiver that would not do diddly with most quarterbacks. but the last nfl-caliber receiver that i can remember them drafting was adams. and it took a couple years before adams really came into his own. and now that adams is gone, rodgers is supposed to make lazard (an undrafted free agent) look like a #1 receiver? management did a deplorable job of keeping the receivers room stocked with capable players.

additionally, when was the last time that ted thompson or gutey spent a high draft pick on a receiver or a tight end? i mean sure, rodgers can make do with receiver that would not do diddly with most quarterbacks. but the last nfl-caliber receiver that i can remember them drafting was adams. and it took a couple years before adams really came into his own. and now that adams is gone, rodgers is supposed to make lazard (an undrafted free agent) look like a #1 receiver? management did a deplorable job of keeping the receivers room stocked with capable players.

saywhat2)

Well, this has turned into a historical discussion of GB with Rodgers at QB, and so in that light the idea that management didn’t stock the WR room for him is absurd. For most of his career - indeed the teeth and prime of his career - he had an embarrassment of riches at WR. Who cares that they weren’t drafted in the first round, they were better than first round picks.

And look, I’m an apologist for Rodgers. I was an apologist for Favre and I’m more or less the same for Rodgers because that level of talent is really generational, but just telling it like it is, Rodgers has as much to do with playoff failures as anyone else. There were years where there were complete defensive failures, and there were others where Rodgers just didn’t get it done. I don’t feel bad for him at all, management gave him everything he needed to succeed. Is what it is.

Not really. Sure, that's a part of it, but it's way more than that.

For years Ted and Gute mostly ignored special teams in terms of drafting, signing, or keeping players specifically for that purpose. They cheaped out on special teams coaches a couple of times and that cost them as well.

Ted just filled the team with draft picks and UDFA's rather than bringing in veterans, even in the years where they had CAP room. He had some truly awful drafts at the end and did nothing in FA to compensate.

They haven't had a truly capable weapon at tight end in what, five or six years and Ted/Gute's way of addressing it was picking Deguara - ugh.

Murphy allowed Ted to hang around a couple of years too long and both he and Ted allowed MM to coach one or two years too long. Murphy also forced ML to keep Pettine (cheaping out) instead of letting him bring in his own DC.

That's just the ones I can quickly think of, I'm sure others can think of more.
In fairness, Ted did draft Finley, whose career was cut short just as he matured. In fact, Ted had to draft a number of positional stars twice. Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Jonathan Franklin off the top of my head.

In fairness, Ted did draft Finley, whose career was cut short just as he matured. In fact, Ted had to draft a number of positional stars twice. Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Jonathan Franklin off the top of my head.
Murphy is an interesting “what if” - 6’2, 210, 4.38, strong route runner. Dookie Davenport fumbled a KO and Murphy tried to recover it and got blasted in the head. Who knows what would’ve happened if he didn’t get hurt, maybe they never draft Jennings.

Back