Post Game: Packers Hang On And Defeat The Bears

You made me think that maybe the mental problems are coming from McCarthy and staff telling him to "protect the ball at all costs." It's like he's afraid to pull the trigger most of the time. When he lets go, and like the announcer said, he "trusts his arm and receivers," good things happened.
I can't blame MM. He looks the same now as he did when he was breaking records at UCLA. I guess maybe you could blame him for not developing Hundley better but the fact is Hundley is exactly who he was at UCLA.

From his draft analysis.
WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

I can't blame MM. He looks the same now as he did when he was breaking records at UCLA. I guess maybe you could blame him for not developing Hundley better but the fact is Hundley is exactly who he was at UCLA.

From his draft analysis.
WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

Yeah most of these are still Hundley. IMO this is a lot on the coaching staff though that they have not been able correct some of these issues in 3 years.

Yeah most of these are still Hundley. IMO this is a lot on the coaching staff though that they have not been able correct some of these issues in 3 years.
Hard to see those issues in practice since you know you aren't going to get hit. He doesn't feel the pressure in practice. That corner blitz where he was sacked was awful. He never looked off his primary receiver until just before he got hit. That is all Hundley.

Hundley improved. He took a step forward and the late toss down the sideline to Adams was clutch. Remember, the NFL was blowing off Jared Goff last year and he's lighting it up this year. You cannot simulate game reps in practice. Let's see if BH can take another step up against the Ravens this week. Chicago has a lot of offensive questions, but at home their defense is a legitimate test. He didn't turn the ball over, made a crucial throw with the game on the line and even his TD throw was something he would not have thrown two weeks ago. It was fun to see ARod's reaction to the TD.
Sorry, but I remain hopeful because Hundley is all we got this year. On the other side of the ball- I thought the DBs played better. In fact I would call at least three of our QB sacks 'coverage sacks' and I can't remember the last time I saw that.

the td pass to adams was outside the pocket, with hundley on the run from defensive pursuit. granted, the pass was not a perfect spiral, but he hit the target accurately.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000875666/Can-t-Miss-Play-Brett-Hundley-makes-Aaron-Rodgers-like-TD-pass

It was a great pass. And I guess if there is any development that has occurred it is his accuracy on the move. Most of the time when he scrambles he ends up throwing it away. He still can't figure out the pocket. He panics at the first sign of pressure. I agree with Dubz that I still hold hope that he will continue to improve.

My family was getting mad at me as I was picking out the things Hundley was doing wrong during the game. Focusing on one receiver too long, late to get the ball out to a timing route, not stepping into his protection, etc. And nearly every time I said it the analysts echoed it shortly after I said it.

From his draft analysis.

MM is touted as a QB guru since he trained up Favre, Rodgers, Montana and Bono out in KC....if he can't fix it, no one can....that was sarcasm by the way. I have a hard time believeing that they dont know his weaknesses and if true, the guru part, MM should be able to fix it.

I asked, in all seriousness, either in a thread or shout but it seemed Holmgren coached up some quality backups. Has MM had that type of success or is Holmgrens success just inflated in my mind because of a few that went on to start for other organizations?

Last edited:
Hundley improved. He took a step forward and the late toss down the sideline to Adams was clutch. Remember, the NFL was blowing off Jared Goff last year and he's lighting it up this year. You cannot simulate game reps in practice. Let's see if BH can take another step up against the Ravens this week. Chicago has a lot of offensive questions, but at home their defense is a legitimate test. He didn't turn the ball over, made a crucial throw with the game on the line and even his TD throw was something he would not have thrown two weeks ago. It was fun to see ARod's reaction to the TD.
Sorry, but I remain hopeful because Hundley is all we got this year. On the other side of the ball- I thought the DBs played better. In fact I would call at least three of our QB sacks 'coverage sacks' and I can't remember the last time I saw that.
Good analysis. It's posts like this that keep me hopeful and remind me that it still is a learning process for the backup to come in and perform as the starter. MM has taken quite a few pats on the back for his reigning in of Favre, development of Rodgers and assisting in development of other QB's , so I'm a little harder in critiquing his work with the backups. Time will tell with Hundley. He'll get the rest of the year to develop and prove his worth.

MM is touted as a QB guru since he trained up Favre, Rodgers, Montana and Bono out in KC....if he can't fix it, no one can....that was sarcasm by the way. I have a hard time believeinf that they dont know his weaknesses and if true, the guru part, MM should be able to fix it.

I asked, in all seriousness, either in a thread or shout but it seemed Holmgren coached up some quality backups. Has MM had that type of success or is Holmgrens success just inflated in my mind because of a few that went on to start for other organizations?
Very fair question. I wonder if the difference between the coaches is something as simple as their systems. Holmgren ran a more traditional west coast offense with the usual reads and progressions. While MM has his 'super special' designed system that relies on the QB being the best in the league. So if those perspectives are valid, then the QBs under Holmgren would translate much easier to other teams offenses. While our back up QBs (under MM) struggle because they need to learn the traditional reads and progressions from the rest of the league.

That might also be the reason FAs (when we do get them) have a longer learning curve when they come to GB.

Very fair question. I wonder if the difference between the coaches is something as simple as their systems. Holmgren ran a more traditional west coast offense with the usual reads and progressions. While MM has his 'super special' designed system that relies on the QB being the best in the league. So if those perspectives are valid, then the QBs under Holmgren would translate much easier to other teams offenses. While our back up QBs (under MM) struggle because they need to learn the traditional reads and progressions from the rest of the league.

That might also be the reason FAs (when we do get them) have a longer learning curve when they come to GB.

Good stuff Dubz. It makes sense.

Back