Post Game~ Lions Take Out Green Bay 31-23 In Ugly Loss

This team is weak on talent, the stench of having Ted 3 years too long when he looked like he had a stroke 3 years ago. He got lucky Rodgers fell in his lap at pick 24 or we would be in really bad shape.

Clay Matthews tallied ONE WHOLE TACKLE today, bringing his season total to 11 in five games, with 0.5 sacks, and zero other stats. Smart move bringing him back at $11 million. FP(

The secondary looks the same as it has these past years under Capers. Not to come across as a Pettine apologist, but perhaps we should consider that McCarthy promoted the same guy responsible for coaching all those crummy units, and forced him on Pettine?

It’s impossible not to see the patterns of a MM coached team - inconsistent, generally passive, never truly playing to capability, undisciplined. But looking at patterns on D, I look at the holdovers. Capers is an older man so it’s easy to say the game passed him by. Joe Whitt is relatively young, but perhaps no ones buying what he’s selling these days either.

The secondary looks the same as it has these past years under Capers. Not to come across as a Pettine apologist, but perhaps we should consider that McCarthy promoted the same guy responsible for coaching all those crummy units, and forced him on Pettine?

It’s impossible not to see the patterns of a MM coached team - inconsistent, generally passive, never truly playing to capability, undisciplined. But looking at patterns on D, I look at the holdovers. Capers is an older man so it’s easy to say the game passed him by. Joe Whitt is relatively young, but perhaps no ones buying what he’s selling these days either.

Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Reggie Gilbert, and Kyler Fackrell combined for zero sacks and zero QB hits against the Lions, you can keep trying to throw stones at Capers and company or you can be realistic that Pettine isn't the "genius" that many believe. His pressure scheme isn't all that complicated and vet QB will carve it up with this group of DB whom again were overrated early vs teams using vanilla in preseason. Recall by your own admission it's a 3 yr process to rebuild the defense.....5 games in you were right on the money RP. hof(

Turnovers, penalties, errors, a bad call (that ball never touched King) and two big plays killed a sputtering offense and an improved but still leaky D.

Played like a bunch of youngsters. Led big in yards but trailed in the score the entire game. Red zone is a problem again.

Jones just doesn't get work in must pass situations and that shelved him in the second half.

Second worst news (after the offense) might be that ST, a strength last year, is playing horrible and Crosby is now in a funk.

Injuries: Brice came off the field late, Clark got poked in the face, King was bleeding like Chuck Cecil

Recall by your own admission it's a 3 yr process to rebuild the defense.....5 games in you were right on the money RP. hof(

I don't think 3 is realistic anymore. The 2017 draft class is shaping up to be a massive bust on the level of 2015, unless King remains healthy enough to continue to develop. Josh Jones and Adams can't get PT and are buried on the depth chart. Biegel is already gone. So the clock is now reset at the 2018 draft - pray that Alexander, Jackson and Burks all work out for what they are, but there isn't a single stud player to "build around". I'm talking a young CMIII type player. Clark I really like but he doesn't have the pass rush. They need to add two young impact players on D, how many drafts will that take? Plus building depth, plus using other picks to rebuild the OL and TE position. Unless they can luck into one of those 2006 or 2009 type drafts where they got a bunch of starters, it's going to be a slog.

I'm not saying the D is struggling exclusively because of the secondary - of course the pass rush is an issue, but I see that as more a personnel problem. The secondary is still seeing the major communication and tackling issues we saw year after year. Whitt has been coaching those guys year after year, always unable to fix the problem. He's had so many resources given to him and has been unable to get them playing coherently. He will never fix it, the same way that MM will never have a fast starting team that consistently plays with fire.

Packers play was:
Undisciplined
Unmotivated
Unemotional

Who’s responsibility is it to make sure those three things aren’t happening.

If MVS can start to string together some games like yesterday, it makes me hopeful that next year he could become the #2 WR and the could move Allison into the slot and walk away from Cobb.

Packers play was:
Undisciplined
Unmotivated
Unemotional

Who’s responsibility is it to make sure those three things aren’t happening.

Randall was SPOT ON last year when he called out the lack of accountability on this team... Big money starters coaches etc... Nobody ever gets held to account. And the results are an unmotivated team that doesn't show emotion or fire.

I get the frustration with McCarthy and agree that the "message" is not getting thru. But what has been apparent to me the last 2-3 years is the lack of vet leadership on the field and in the locker room. Yes it accountability. But I get the sense that the accountably issues are not just on the field but also in practice and the film room. Some have mentioned culture on here and I agree 150%. Something has been "off" with this team for a couple of years now and its just not coaching. Is it a desire to play football and actually liking the game instead of a paycheck? Is it the culture of playing in Green Bay? Lets be honest it not the most cultural city on the league and it can impact players. Is it the Rob Davis effect and players feel wound so tight it becomes a burden? Over the last 2-3 years this team got younger, and it shows. Yes its apparent on the field but how much is if off the field.

I think the issues in Green Bay are not just what happens on Sunday.

I get the frustration with McCarthy and agree that the "message" is not getting thru. But what has been apparent to me the last 2-3 years is the lack of vet leadership on the field and in the locker room. Yes it accountability. But I get the sense that the accountably issues are not just on the field but also in practice and the film room. Some have mentioned culture on here and I agree 150%. Something has been "off" with this team for a couple of years now and its just not coaching. Is it a desire to play football and actually liking the game instead of a paycheck? Is it the culture of playing in Green Bay? Lets be honest it not the most cultural city on the league and it can impact players. Is it the Rob Davis effect and players feel wound so tight it becomes a burden? Over the last 2-3 years this team got younger, and it shows. Yes its apparent on the field but how much is if off the field.

I think the issues in Green Bay are not just what happens on Sunday.

I think "culture" is another way of saying "working towards a common goal", or maybe "like minded" (the Belichik saying of "DO YOUR JOB" comes to mind). And I would agree that something is not right with that culture in Green Bay, and I don't think there is any one "missing link" that you can point at and say...........That's the one!

I think MM has an increasingly hard time "casting his vision" to the players and getting them to buy into it. His approach has become old, stale, and worn out.
I also think that players who are/have been leaders are maybe not as demonstrative enough in taking others to task when they see slackers in practice and on the field. No Reggie White, Sean Jones type guys. They cut Jordy, and let others like Lang/Sitton walk away. I thought Daniels was becoming that kind of guy (Leader), but he's nearly disappeared on/off the field at this juncture.
As far as the cultural (or lack of) aspects of Green Bay goes..............is a player here to play football or go to the museum or night club? You can enjoy your free time and go anywhere you want............when it's the off season, otherwise stick to football, because that's what you get paid to do. (JMHO) tc(

Back