Post Game: Eagles defeat Packers 34-27

The team has weaknesses. Our run defense consists of hoping Martinez can tackle the ball carrier after he moves through a gaping hole in the DL...over and over again.
We can't cover good or even average TEs, because the MLB is used almost exclusively in run support and has to think run first, not drop into the middle zone.

We have a couple of pretty good RBs with their own strengths and weaknesses. Jones is quick at slashing through a hole and has quick feet on dump off passes. He also cannot get past the first man that hits him
and is weak at pass blocking. Williams can usually drive through the first tackler and is a master at setting up screens. He is also a decent pass blocker with good hands. He lacks quickness and has no breakaway ability.
Neither of them are exceptional, first level RBs. Neither of them is a feature back.
Facing a good run defense, with our marginal run blocking OL, these RBs will struggle.

Reactions: TW
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
LaFleur said he will ask for a clarification from the league on whether pass interference was possible on the last play and whether it should have been called.

LaFleur on run defense: We talked about everybody doing their job. Certain plays guys didn't do their jobs. Few other times there were communications errors. I challenged them, we have to be on the details.

LaFleur said Alex Light did pretty well at RT. Said there were a couple of plays where he allowed pressure, but Rodgers was able to escape.

LaFleur said staff will have off Saturday and Sunday and he'd like to give the team a mini-bye because they've had two Thursday games already this season.

LaFleur said long-term prognosis on WR Davante Adams' toe injury isn't determined yet.

Matt LaFleur said RB Jamaal Williams spent the night in the hospital but is home now and he's doing pretty well.

When asked why the team didn't try to run the ball in, LaFleur said, "That’s a great question,".

"We got into goal line, we liked the matchup on the outside, Jimmy Graham on the safety and that was incomplete," LaFleur explained. "Second down we tried to stay in goal line thinking they might think we're running the ball. We ran the keeper and they played the keeper. Credit to them. The defensive end read the field and was right in Aaron [Rodgers]'s face. "Third down we called a play for the run/pass option and Aaron he saw who he saw and pulled the ball, then the defense reacted so he had to throw it away. Then fourth down we tried another pass. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for us."

So in other words, we did not commit to running the ball on the one yard line.

This smells like an HC covering for his big $$ QB who made the wrong reads/calls ... Which is actually a good change from MM..

There will be growing pains for sure. These losses are just what Gutey needs to identify the issues that he needs to fix next year via draft/FA.. And some big ones are starting to show.

This smells like an HC covering for his big $$ QB who made the wrong reads/calls ... Which is actually a good change from MM..

There will be growing pains for sure. These losses are just what Gutey needs to identify the issues that he needs to fix next year via draft/FA.. And some big ones are starting to show.
In my opinion, seems to me that these issues are about the same ones from last season and the seasons before, again IMO.

I thought ML spoke more about it today and said that Rodgers made the right read based on what was shown by the D. Said that he needs to work in an adjustment for that in the future. Trying to find the quote...

I like many of you got caught up into GB's first three games. Thinking this was a different team with good improvements. Somehow in the back of my mind something was saying this maybe too good to be true. Well the Eagles showed this team their true weaknesses on both sides of the ball. The defensive front has trouble stopping a team with decent blockers and power runners. Tackling was very poor which led to extra yards on what should have been a stop for little gain.
Offensive line offered Rodgers very little time to view the field which led to passes to young WRs needing to be playmakers. When my QB has to scramble out of the pocket often...to me is a bad sign. Last play shows a young kid that needs to catch with his hands rather than his chest had it bounce off him and led to the Int. My conclusions is this team needs a lot of work and smarter trade/FA pickups...or we end up with another TT tenure.
With all that, huge injuries and two extremely awful non calls, we were still RIGHT THERE for this game.

Honestly I thought this would happen against the Broncos. We're ok, don't let this get in our heads.

Pettine is gonna have something special for Zeke Elliot. That will tell us much more than this game.

So I rewatched the tape and here is what I saw:

Defense

In the first half they played OK. Nerd, you are correct. The two ST's gaffs killed us in the 2nd quarter. I blame Crosby for both. If he kicks the first kick off in the end zone, we have no issue. And we know what happened with the 2nd one. However, the D missed a huge opportunity on a 3rd and 1 at the 50 when they stopped Wentz behind the line on the sneak and then let him get it on the 2nd effort. I will say, Fackrell was big time lazy on that play. He was stopped but not down and Fackrell was right there to grab him and pull backwards but he stood there and watched Wentz get the 1st down. I also understand the point TW is making with how we were lined up and having Martinez the only ILB. He was also 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. Not sure why you have your ILB playing off that far but he was. Very tough assignment but he was washing out many times by a lineman on running plays and he just does not have any instincts. He is waiting for the RB and does not get to the hole until the RB is 3 yards down field. He also read the running play wrong and what hole the RB was going to hit numerous times in the game. Not impressed with Blake so far this year.

Offense

We ran the ball OK in the first half. Jones had a TD and had a few solid 5 to 6 yard runs. 2nd half not as good but we passed much of the game since it was working. AR played really well on Thursday but again he had numerous check downs to Jones and Vitale and continues to look downfield. He also looks at Adams way too much. Now is Adams open most of the time? Yes but he also has other open WR's or RB's and misses them. I think RP mentioned this last week with some videos on some plays. Both drives in the 1st half when we got FGs, AR had Jones and Vitale open underneath and he forced both to Adams and the passes were in complete. They both would have been 1st downs and we may have gotten TD's off those drives. Lastly, we had at least 3 TD drops on the 2nd to last drive before we were on the 1 yard line. I did not like the calls on the 1 yard line but if the WR's do their jobs, we do not even have the issue. As for the last drive and the INT, I really do not blame anyone. Unlucky there. Looked like a rub screen for MVS and he did not get his hands up in time. Could they have called PI? Maybe but it was close. I do not blame AR for not looking at Shepherd because he did not look open at first and MVS did. Like I said unlucky but also a good play by the Eagle D.

I really think they have to play Goodson on D more. He helps that run D. We need 2 ILB's. We may get caught with ILB's on TE's or a RB but if we don't I think we will continue to get gashed in the running game. Just my opinions.

Back