Packers To Hire Matt LaFleur As HC

LaFleur appears to favor shorter drops in the passing game, calling 1- or 3-step drops on 68.5 percent of passing plays, compared to 53.3 percent for the Packers under McCarthy.
Cant wait. Throw on time.
Shorter drops mean shorter passes yes? Wonder how Mr always looking for the long bomb will feel about that :)

The more I read and take in the more I like the hire. It feels like a whole new level of excitment is back with the Packers now. As for the defense they will really be ahead out the gate playing the same scheme and not really thinking about it but attacking every down.

Packersnews.com beat writer Jim Owczarski reports that Bengals assistant special teams coach Brayden Coombs may be a candidate to replace Ron Zook

LaFleur appears to favor shorter drops in the passing game, calling 1- or 3-step drops on 68.5 percent of passing plays, compared to 53.3 percent for the Packers under McCarthy.
Cant wait. Throw on time.

I've always believed that the quicker you get rid of the ball, the better your long game is. To me, this is where Rodgers could be something special. He can zip the ball out fast.

Brief interview with him after a risky 4th and inches play call failed. Gave a forthright explanation of why he called it. I like at the end when a reporter asks him about the comments of the player who didn't get the yard: the player put the responsibility on himself, but LaFleur immediately shook his head and said no, he was in a bad spot and it was a bad play call. I can see him having a good rapport with the players. Might be a nice tonic for what ails the locker room.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that I believe TT and MM were the ones who insisted on regimented privacy for coaches, where reporters couldn't ask them anything and only got to talk to them at the podium once every couple weeks. Here LaFleur is talking to reporters out on the practice field and giving an honest answer and providing details into thought process (maybe he's a little guarded or defensive but not bad.) But anyway, is it possible he might loosen up the rules for this sort of thing, where the relationship with the media becomes a little more casual? He is the HC, after all.

“I want to develop a championship culture,” LaFleur said. “My philosophy is to lead, teach and inspire – not only our football team but everybody in this building. We are going to be process driven in the pursuit of bringing a Lombardi Trophy back to Green Bay.”

I finally got through the presser... Murphy should never be allowed near a microphone again.

Murphy: Nobody wowed us, then we interviewed LaFluer and he did pretty well.
Basically Murphy's comments came accross as "well we had to hire somebody and Matt was best of a bad group"..

Gutey: We're really excited about Matt and what he brings to GB. We can't wait to get started.
Gutey came accross as "this is our guy and we can wait to see how far he takes us"

I finally got through the presser... Murphy should never be allowed near a microphone again.

Murphy: Nobody wowed us, then we interviewed LaFluer and he did pretty well.
Basically Murphy's comments came accross as "well we had to hire somebody and Matt was best of a bad group"..

Gutey: We're really excited about Matt and what he brings to GB. We can't wait to get started.
Gutey came accross as "this is our guy and we can wait to see how far he takes us"

This what I wrote in shout:

I know I'm nitpicking and feel free to rip me on it, but I felt uncomfortable for ML when they asked The Murph what his plans were if LaFleur didn't wow him at the interview. Instead of saying something to the effect of, "That's irrelevant. We got our man" He proceeds to go into detail as your f-ing HC is just sitting there and it's his presser.

More Gutey, less Murphy please.

Murphy does like hearing his own voice. He's becoming way too visible with the team.

Back