Packers To Hire Matt LaFleur As HC

Like people have said before this is the HC that most likely manages the transition from Arod. So why not go with a coach with a lot of experience working with QBs to help tutor the heir apparent ....

The one thing I like about this hire is it seems to look to the future with an eye to the post Arod era.

In reality the Arod SB window is probably already closed. This team lacks talent and a winning culture. That takes time and Arod probably only has 3 years tops...

I'm very interested to see how ML and Gutey build the roster.

Some interesting tidbits:

It is a move that surprised a multitude of league sources who have monitored the field, many of whom had pegged either New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or former Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase as the leading candidates to pair with quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Not only were some head-coaching candidates surprised at LaFleur being offered the Packers job Monday, even the Titans were apparently caught off guard. One team source told Yahoo Sports the shared belief in the building was LaFleur would likely be returning as the team’s coordinator in 2019.

So what did Green Bay get in LaFleur? First, a take from inside the Titans. A team source described LaFleur as “smart, funny, charismatic and personable” and “someone who can definitely win an interview.”

He’s also “an acquired taste for some who might think he’s a little arrogant or demanding, kind of like [San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan].” Also, LaFleur is said to be “not afraid to let personnel know when something is lacking on the offensive roster.” According to the source, LaFleur was also a guy who rallied the offensive roster after the Week 8 bye, running a balanced attack under less-than-ideal injury circumstances.

All of that sounds like head-coach material, which the Titans believed he was, albeit with some thinking he would have another year or two of play-calling under his belt before this kind of job offer materialized. Another league source outside the Titans added that quarterback Kirk Cousins clicked with LaFleur a great deal when the two worked together with the Washington Redskins, with Cousins seeing LaFleur as a close extension of onetime Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Add that LaFleur also has earned admiration from Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay and former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, and he has no shortage of respected backers in the league.

Still feeling very positive about this hire. It’s exactly the type of move we’ve wanted the Packers to make and it could be just the young invigorating and innovative relationship A-Rod needs to get back to the GOAT feels. Sink or swim, I’m all hands on deck heading into FA and the draft.

The name on everyone's lips in Wisconsin: Matt LaFleur.
There's been no shortage of buzz since news broke that the Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator is set to become the next head coach of the Green Bay Packers.
While football analysts, sportswriters and fans dissect his career, study his coaching style and speculate about what the 39-year-old Michigan native will mean to the future of the Packers, we're calling a quick timeout to get to know a little about the family side of LaFleur
1. He's a dad. He’s married to wife, BreAnne. They have two young sons, Luke and Ty

2. Both of his parents were coaches. His parents, Denny and Kristi, still live in his hometown of Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Population: 25,847.
They both taught physical education and coached at Mount Pleasant High School from the ’90s until their retirement in 2015. They were grand marshals of the school's homecoming parade in 2017.

3. He grew up around football with his dad. Denny was a longtime defensive assistant at Central Michigan University, where he played linebacker in the 1970s. As a kid, Matt spent a lot of time around that program with his dad.
“He was always with me on the sidelines,” Denny said in 2009 interview with MLive. “He got that college experience from an early age. He was there for all of the home games, the away games. Even for bowl games, he was right there with me.”

4. He learned about the power of being positive from his mom. Kristi, who was on the sidelines as a cheerleader when Denny was playing college ball, was the competitive cheer coach at Mount Pleasant High, often taking kids with no tumbling skills and turning them into teams that repeatedly went to the state finals.

“I’ve learned so much from my mom, watching her with her teams and how positive she was with those kids, and just how powerful that is,” Matt told The Tennessean in August. “If people know you believe in them, it raises their play and their confidence in what they can do.”

5. His brother coaches in the NFL, too. He has a younger brother, Mike, who is the San Francisco 49ers wide receivers/passing game coordinator.
Matt was the offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams and Mike was the 49ers receivers coach when the two teams played each other in 2017. Not wanting to choose sides, their mom came up with a team of her own, the San Angeles Rammers. She had T-shirts made with a red, blue and gold logo and wore one to the game.
In a 2017 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Kristi recalled how the two brothers often wrestled around the house. Both competitive, she described Matt as more intense and Mike as more laid back.
“I can put a smile on my face even when I don’t want to,” Mike said. “Where Matt, I would say, wears his emotions on his sleeve.”

6. His grandpa was a coach. Matt’s grandfather, Bob Barringer, coached football for nine years at Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the 1960s and ’70s. When he died in 2010, a story in the Kalamazoo Gazette described him as an intense coach who always pushed his players, always made them tougher.
A former player recalled the time Barringer told him he’d be returning punts in a game.
“If I fumbled, he told me I would be up in the stands selling popcorn with my dad. I didn’t know my dad was selling popcorn (which he wasn’t), but he got my attention.”

7. His brother Peter is a gym owner an ADAA dodgeball champion..

I look at this hire from a positive perspective. Here's a guy whose track record has been around QBs who've played some decent football. I won't say he created their skill sets, but I will go so far as to say other coaches can see that he seems to know how to harness the skills of these guys, therefore makes them a little better because of it. Sometimes it's just that little bit of difference in respect for what someone can do, that makes them actually be better. I'm going to say we go from a B+ offense to an A, because of him.

On defense, I have no idea where we're heading. As things unfold, I'll be able to determine what seems to be going down. In all honesty, based on this hire, I don't see the Packers throwing in the towel and starting all over. I see them doing everything they can to gear up for a 3 year run at winning a Lombardi Trophy. Feel free to disagree, but I feel a lot better about the next three years right now than I did about 2 months ago. A young coach with a bright future, and we could be looking at a lot more than many of us expected.

Per @NextGenStats Matt LaFleur's Tennessee Titans had the highest Expected Completion Percentage in the NFL last season while the Packers ranked 27th at 62.6 pct

DwWKLZoWsAEUzhP.jpg

LaFleur checks a couple boxes for me. Young, innovative offensive mind. We'll see if he can quickly mesh with Rodgers. And I mean quickly. Fine with keeping Pettine, too, lets get this show on the road !

Per @NextGenStats Matt LaFleur's Tennessee Titans had the highest Expected Completion Percentage in the NFL last season while the Packers ranked 27th at 62.6 pct

DwWKLZoWsAEUzhP.jpg
LaFleur appears to favor shorter drops in the passing game, calling 1- or 3-step drops on 68.5 percent of passing plays, compared to 53.3 percent for the Packers under McCarthy.
Cant wait. Throw on time.

Back