Packers set Coaching Staff for 2016/17 Season

And many are on a tangent bashing every move McCarthy makes. But when you compare his body of work vs Holmgren Tomlin Payton it's damn impressive. You have used the spoiled tag line yourself. Would I like more championships yes but at the same time I get the challenges associated with it. Sorry for being realistic.

Don't think I've argued that MM isn't on a par with any/all of the others you mention. Pretty darn successful. Don't care. I look at the NFL as being the Packers and everyone else - it's only Green & Gold's success to which I pay attention. I not only want more championships, as you indicate you would, but I want something done about those challenges. Don't apologize for being realistic, just allow other sports (i.e., completely, but temporarily, detached from real life) fans to dream.

The idea that the Packers fan base is spoiled has some truth to it, but it's misleading IMO. The Packers are, and have been for about 20 years, the Atlanta Braves of the NFL. They are almost a lock to get to the postseason, but few people outside of GB take them seriously as a SB winning team. They are way too often one and done in the playoffs, but even more importantly than that is the way they lose in the playoffs. Many times it's not just a loss, but a downright humiliation. Remember the 49ers game where we made Kaepernick look like a cross between Joe Montana and Steve young? How about 4th and 26? Losing to the Giants at home in embarrassing fashion after finishing 15-1? It's not just them losing to better teams, but getting their you know what's handed to them. I think the fans are upset with the fact that the Packers seem content with the current state of affairs as long as they're making money. Can you blame them? Isn't the point to win the SB and not just make the playoffs? It seems like the Packers are more concerned about maintaining a safe, steady course of being pretty good, instead of taking a chance and potentially winning the Lombardi. It's not hard to imagine that this is going to rub fans the wrong way, myself included.

The idea that the Packers fan base is spoiled has some truth to it, but it's misleading IMO. The Packers are, and have been for about 20 years, the Atlanta Braves of the NFL. They are almost a lock to get to the postseason, but few people outside of GB take them seriously as a SB winning team. They are way too often one and done in the playoffs, but even more importantly than that is the way they lose in the playoffs. Many times it's not just a loss, but a downright humiliation. Remember the 49ers game where we made Kaepernick look like a cross between Joe Montana and Steve young? How about 4th and 26? Losing to the Giants at home in embarrassing fashion after finishing 15-1? It's not just them losing to better teams, but getting their you know what's handed to them. I think the fans are upset with the fact that the Packers seem content with the current state of affairs as long as they're making money. Can you blame them? Isn't the point to win the SB and not just make the playoffs? It seems like the Packers are more concerned about maintaining a safe, steady course of being pretty good, instead of taking a chance and potentially winning the Lombardi. It's not hard to imagine that this is going to rub fans the wrong way, myself included.
Lot of truth to what you said. But I can look at sports on many levels and see the same. I digress. Why then does Ted Thompson get a pass by many. But it's mostly, by many fans the fault of the HC. Go ahead Mike. Develop these UDFA guys. Ok Mike develop a DE into a OLB. I can go on but you get the point. Is McCarthy perfect hell no. But a change at HC is not going to improve this team. Not unless there is an influx of talent and depth especially on defense

Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's press conference Thursday announcing the changes in his coaching staff:

- (On staff) Been a long process since the conclusion of the season. Had exit interviews with players and from that you can find out some things. Ideas come from there. It's been great to this point that we've gotten into scheme evaluation and are getting into that process.
- (On changes at RB and TE) When you have change, you have a process you go through. I want to thank Sam Gash and Jerry Fontenot for their contributions. We had two young coaches we had here in David and Luke. With Brian and Ben it brings new ideas, new voices.
- (On why new voices) It's a performance business. We all understand that. There's a big picture. The opportunity to move forward and get players to play at a higher level. I think sometimes it's important to make changes.
- (On connections with Brian and Ben) Did not. Part of your job is staying informed. They came with good recommendations.
- (On how his role changes) Time on Monday will be similar. Tuesday will be game-planning. Wednesday will be combination between last year and in previous years. Thursday through Friday is dedicated to preparing to call plays.
- (On coaching whole team) We took a huge step back offensively. Defensively, we did some good things but we were not a championship defense. We need to be next year. Special teams we need to take another big jump there.
- (On Sirmins keeping Lacy in shape) Strength, conditioning, training, everybody is accountable to their areas and every coach is responsible for his position. As far as Eddie Lacy, I have great confidence it is something that will improve, and is improving as we speak."
- (On Luke Getsy and David Raih) We interviewed both two years ago and there was a focus on quarterback coaches. You can't have enough offensive line coaches and quarterbacks coaches I think. David had a great interview and Luke came in the next day. I felt David knocked it out of the park. It was an extensive interview with the whole coaching staff. And then the next day, Luke had a tremendous interview. After that, everybody felt Luke hit it a little further. Now they'll have a chance to coach and get our players to respond.

Continue reading...

Sheesh, that was well put. Straight to the head of the class for you, kingkoopa.

This recent "setting of the 2016 coaching staff" had too much of a status quo ring to it. Fans want REAL change, we don't want another year of making it to the playoffs and then getting bounced by an elite NFC team. Yes, we took Zona to overtime but were we better than Carolina, who ended up being inferior to Denver - I think not.

I believe there's an "elephant in the room" amongst the vast majority of Packer Nation right now, and it's that the Packers are two notches behind getting back to the Super Bowl. We ARE kinda spoiled in some respects, but there's a hard cold reality that the team won't make it to the next level the way things are going.

Don't think I've argued that MM isn't on a par with any/all of the others you mention. Pretty darn successful. Don't care. I look at the NFL as being the Packers and everyone else - it's only Green & Gold's success to which I pay attention. I not only want more championships, as you indicate you would, but I want something done about those challenges. Don't apologize for being realistic, just allow other sports (i.e., completely, but temporarily, detached from real life) fans to dream.
What you said is why I'm less emotionally invested in sports than I was. Especially pro. I look at it as entertainment. Does a loss hurt yes but the next day the sun comes up and I'm fine. It's a game played by millionaires for billionaires. It's big business. The win now culture is disturbing. It takes the enjoyment of the sport away. Sport like life has ups and downs. Success and failure. And that win now culture has spilled into uter hatred towards some players and teams. Again disturbing. Rant over. Peace

Lot of truth to what you said. But I can look at sports on many levels and see the same. I digress. Why then does Ted Thompson get a pass by many. But it's mostly, by many fans the fault of the HC. Go ahead Mike. Develop these UDFA guys. Ok Mike develop a DE into a OLB. I can go on but you get the point. Is McCarthy perfect hell no. But a change at HC is not going to improve this team. Not unless there is an influx of talent and depth especially on defense

I'm not giving TT a pass by any means. I think the blame lies with the three amigos,

ted-thompson-packers-2.jpg

A. Thompson-IGNORING FA, trying to plug holes with UDFAs, mediocre at best drafting lately, unwillingness to change philosophy when it's been apparent it's not working.

mike.jpg

B. McCarthy-Stubbornness with coaching staff, Keeping Capers for so long(he should've been fired years ago), predictable game planning, players not being held responsible for awful performances

murphy.jpg

C. Murphy-Seemingly absent, I think he only cares about $$$, not winning

Bottom line, it's an organizational philosophy, the blame doesn't like with MM alone, or Ted alone, or Murphy alone, it's a combo platter.

The guy played QB in college, seems to have paid his dues as he has worked his way up through the coaching channels. True, we haven't really heard of him before, but he is familiar with the Packers being in the same house the last two years.
Guessing he knows more about coaching WRs than most of us. I'm happy they hired a position coach that we all pretty much agreed we needed. I'm sure Edgar will provide any mentorship the young man might need. Hopeful this works, our WRs need some focused attention. I mean...even Lombardi had to start somewhere.

I initially felt the same way as others but in thinking about it more. Bennett had not been a WR and he did a pretty good job with the WR's. Hopefully this guy will too.

I am a little perplexed that he didn't bring someone in from the outside like he did with Angelicho and Sirmans.

I'm not giving TT a pass by any means. I think the blame lies with the three amigos,

murphy.jpg

C. Murphy-Seemingly absent, I think he only cares about $$$, not winning

Bottom line, it's an organizational philosophy, the blame doesn't like with MM alone, or Ted alone, or Murphy alone, it's a combo platter.

Since Harlan took over and hired Ron Wolf the team president has been totally hands off the football side of things and his focus as it should be is making sure the team stays profitable.

As has been mentioned here, we don't get paid millions to identify potential WR's coaches for the Packers. However, that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed/upset about the selection. We do know the Packers have a history under MM of promoting people from within sometimes to a detriment. I believe this is going to be another one of those times.

Why would it be a detriment? Getsy has worked as a WR coach. He has been an Offensive coordinator. He has been a QB coach. He is as Mark said a guy coming up. Not one of us has a clue how he will do so I think it is more MM disdain at this point.

Back