Packers Secondary In The Future

Of course, what did we think about the receiver corps going in to last year?

I'm unsold on Morgan Burnett. He frequently dropped free interceptions, and actually broke up a couple of interceptions that Randall probably comes down with. I think that if we want to stay solid that we also have to hold on to Casey Hayward. Hyde has to be taken off of the field. I am fine with him being a 5th corner and a 4th safety just to use him as a return man, but the amount of times he got burned by tight ends was absolutely brutal.

OK, I'll play a little devils advocate here. Someone has to bring something negative.;)

Gunter has moments where he looks good, but I don't think that 4.69 40-time at the combine was a total accident. He looks good in spurts, but you may need to limit his exposure. A handful of nice plays in preseason covering 3rd string WR's isn't the best measure of how he'll do covering starters in big situations. He may be limited to covering slot guys and perhaps taking on a role like Hyde's, another guy without top end speed. I'm waiting to see him some more this summer playing earlier in the rotation, hopefully against #1's and 2's, to get a better read on him.

Rollins did indeed look good and I'm really hopeful that he's the real deal. Another guy without top-end speed, but times faster than Gunter. I'm hoping his instincts make up for it. So far so good. Either way, in today's NFL, the nickel back is like the 12th starter on defense anyway because they get so many snaps. He may be best if limited to playing the slot as well. Even if he can only cover from the slot he can be a valuable piece of the secondary puzzle. I'm really looking forward to see what he can bring next year when I suspect he'll get a lot more snaps.

Goodson seemed like a huge project when we drafted him and that's been the case. Looks like a special teamer to me who likely won't ever see a whole lot of snaps but who knows. Maybe he surprises me. I see an athlete, but don't see the type of instincts you see from Randall and Rollins.

I would still like to see a Hayward replacement (assuming he leaves in FA) drafted this year. Not early, but maybe someone in Rds 4-6.

True dat.

But no amount of depth going into camp can save you if injuries hit like it did at WR. Gotta keep adding talent, but no need to find immediate starters or invest heavily. I expect a mid-to-late round secondary pick or even two.

I'd like to keep Hayward, but if I were him, I'd get the heck outta Dodge and seek a starting chance and money that comes with it, instead of risking losing snaps in case Rollins and maybe Gunter develop as hoped.

I'm unsold on Morgan Burnett. He frequently dropped free interceptions, and actually broke up a couple of interceptions that Randall probably comes down with. I think that if we want to stay solid that we also have to hold on to Casey Hayward. Hyde has to be taken off of the field. I am fine with him being a 5th corner and a 4th safety just to use him as a return man, but the amount of times he got burned by tight ends was absolutely brutal.
Man, you're gonna need sedatives when I get my PFF analysis on the secondary done... Sneak peek: Burnett was 9th highest graded S out of 90....

We all thought it would be a strength but nobody foresaw how hard that position was going to be hit by injury. If the secondary gets the injury bug like that you only have so much depth.

True dat.

But no amount of depth going into camp can save you if injuries hit like it did at WR. Gotta keep adding talent, but no need to find immediate starters or invest heavily. I expect a mid-to-late round secondary pick or even two.

I'd like to keep Hayward, but if I were him, I'd get the heck outta Dodge and seek a starting chance and money that comes with it, instead of risking losing snaps in case Rollins and maybe Gunter develop as hoped.

Man, you're gonna need sedatives when I get my PFF analysis on the secondary done... Sneak peek: Burnett was 9th highest graded S out of 90....

I'm looking forward to the PFF analysis on the secondary. ch(

Sorry you aren't feeling well. I'm just getting over Bronchitis myself... sick(

OK, I'll play a little devils advocate here. Someone has to bring something negative.;)

Gunter has moments where he looks good, but I don't think that 4.69 40-time at the combine was a total accident. He looks good in spurts, but you may need to limit his exposure. A handful of nice plays in preseason covering 3rd string WR's isn't the best measure of how he'll do covering starters in big situations. He may be limited to covering slot guys and perhaps taking on a role like Hyde's, another guy without top end speed. I'm waiting to see him some more this summer playing earlier in the rotation, hopefully against #1's and 2's, to get a better read on him.

Rollins did indeed look good and I'm really hopeful that he's the real deal. Another guy without top-end speed, but times faster than Gunter. I'm hoping his instincts make up for it. So far so good. Either way, in today's NFL, the nickel back is like the 12th starter on defense anyway because they get so many snaps. He may be best if limited to playing the slot as well. Even if he can only cover from the slot he can be a valuable piece of the secondary puzzle. I'm really looking forward to see what he can bring next year when I suspect he'll get a lot more snaps.

Goodson seemed like a huge project when we drafted him and that's been the case. Looks like a special teamer to me who likely won't ever see a whole lot of snaps but who knows. Maybe he surprises me. I see an athlete, but don't see the type of instincts you see from Randall and Rollins.

I would still like to see a Hayward replacement (assuming he leaves in FA) drafted this year. Not early, but maybe someone in Rds 4-6.

Hey, that's my job! :)

Back