Packers Secondary In The Future

vincesixx

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I love how our secondary looks going forward.

Shields is a borderline Pro Bowler and should continue to be so the next few years barring injury.

I'll admit I wasn't overly excited about Randall but aside from the blown coverage in OT boy that kid can ball and looks to have some big time potential.

Rollins is the player I think will be the best of the bunch though which says alot about what I think of him. Only played one year of college ball and was a big project comming out but showed just a natural nose for the football. When he starts learning better technique and the proper way of playing coverages instead of just relying on his natural instinct that kid is going to be special.

I think Ha Ha is another borderline Pro Bowl guy and Burnett is good in run support and definitely a solid counter part at Saftey.

In two years, or even as soon as next season depending on progression rates (ok next year might be a reach), this secondary has the talent to be as good or better than any teams in the league and that can do wonders for a D.

Curious if anyone else thinks the ceiling is as high as I do with this secondary within the next two years ?

Agree completely. And you forgot about Gunter who I forget what game late in year came in and played 20 plays without getting burned and the coaches/beat writers raved about him in training camp.

Biggest issue this year was the using hyde in the dime against a slot WR or any TE, no idea why Rollins wasn't used there.

Next years biggest challenge is replacing Hayward who was one of the top 5 slot corners in the league and is likely leaving, will be interesting to see if Rollins can step into that role.

I thought Hyde played very well. He was outstanding vs Whitten and Graham. Hayward is a liability on the outside I'm good with Dix and Burnett. The big issue I see is shields. Big cap number.

Y'all also forget Goodson, who was a total project coming outta college. Has turned into a core STs player, and still could develop to fill a role at CB.

If/when Hayward leaves, we could still use a backup safety (Hyde's #3) or more depth at CB.

Other than that, this secondary could develop into something truly special...

Y'all also forget Goodson, who was a total project coming outta college. Has turned into a core STs player, and still could develop to fill a role at CB.

If/when Hayward leaves, we could still use a backup safety (Hyde's #3) or more depth at CB.

Other than that, this secondary could develop into something truly special...

Goodson wasn't forgotten. He was omitted. His name is like Voldemort in that it shall not be spoken in here.

I say this tongue in cheek of course but I sure hoped he'd be further along in his development by now.

I love the trio of Shield, Randall and Rollins going forward, love it. I hope Rollins is the nickel and honestly hope Gunter is the dime. I feel like HaHa took a step back, but am still optimistic there's enough talent there to be a solid starter, probably not a star. I'm ok with Burnett and ok with those two as the safety duo, but not nearly as high on them as the CB group. You'd like to think if those corners can be as good as we think, the safeties can focus more on tackling, blitzing, covering TEs, which I think they are both more valuable as than as centerfielder types.

Hyde....sigh....I think he can be useful in certain packages, or I should say certain matchups. Closer to the line of scrimmage, against slower TEs, etc. He's a guy I'd prefer as a utility back up- 5th CB, 3rd/4th safety, back up punt returner, and valuable special teamer. I really hope the best players play and if that's true I can't see him being more productive as a cover guy than Gunter.

I predict our secondary will the strength of our defense going forward. And in a passing league this is very good indeed.

I agree with most of everyone's assessments.
This secondary will be very strong in the next couple of years. I actually could see Gunter pushing Rollins or even Randall for a starting role if he continues to develop.

I threw this out there before, after the draft. I could really see Randall and Dix as our safeties. Burnett is solid but unspectacular. I see Randall as paying his dues at CB to develop into Nick Collins part II. Draft another CB this year to compete with Shields, Rollins, Gunter and Goodson. I think Hayward is gone. Hyde? He can't cover WRs and it seemed like he had trouble with TEs overall. But the future is bright in the secondary.

And you forgot about Gunter who I forget what game late in year came in and played 20 plays without getting burned and the coaches/beat writers raved about him in training camp.

gunter had the same kind of season as janis. two guys who should have been used sooner and more often, both of whom played very well when they were finally given a chance because mccarthy had no other choice left but to put them in the game.

Back