Packers Release Jordy Nelson

I'm curious what point you disagree with TW.​

Why would I agree? I believe McCarthy is less than straight-forward in his decisions, and has a penchant for throwing people under the bus. If you disagree, that's fine, but I disagree with you as strongly as you disagreed with what I said. Either way, it's simply conjecture on both our parts as to what happened.

I personally think we should have cut Cobb, Jordy, and Matthews. Then signed a CB, a safety, and OLB in FA. I would have then drafted 2 WRs, a TE, and some OL. But I am not a GM, nor do I want to be.
IMO, it is weird we keep Cobb and Matthews when both have not lived up to their contracts. At least in the last 3 years.
Why are they still with us???

Matthews and Cobb have not lived up to their contracts, but that just makes them like a hundred other players in the league. Sometimes you are paying guys for past performance. Sometimes you are paying guys because it's good overall "P.R." for the locker room. In my mind CM3 is overpaid, but can still be valuable to this team so he's the last of the three that I cut.

Maybe cutting them is/was part of the plan but they couldn't get any other FAs to bite. Sounds like they were in on some other guys but couldn't get deals done. Maybe Jordy was just first on the list and he was cut because the Graham and Wilkerson deals got done. Maybe Cobb was next if the Bears had declined to match for Fuller.

It's interesting how NFL teams pay players. When they sit down to evaluate someone for a new contract, they gauge their value based on how they've played over the terms of the ending contract. They use that, to sign them.

Then, when that contract nears the end, they say that the guy didn't play up to the standards of the contract he was given.

It's a catch point here simply because a player rarely lives up to, or exceeds, what was expected of them during that second contract. Towards the end, they're usually broken down by injuries, and a natural lesser ability to perform. Yet, teams continually use that criteria - not living up to contract - to cut ties with them.

The fact is, teams put themselves into this predicament through how they write contracts. Most of them are so back loaded that they find it easier to cut ties with a guy with one year left on a contract, or right after it expires, because they spent too much basing the contract on past performances, not "expected performance," no matter what they say.

The whole reason for them saying what they do is so they don't have to admit they don't really know how to judge where a player will be compared to where they were. When they begin to realize this, they might find they can make better decisions on who to keep, and cut. Until then, they're going to over pay in contract two, and opt out of a contract negotiation for contract three. That's exactly why we got Charles Woodson, and why we should be looking at more players like him, who believe in physical conditioning, along with a life-style that will make their careers last longer.

Just my opinion.

So who steps into Jordy's leadership role? Who on the team has that in them to replace his presence in the locker room and on the field?

So who steps into Jordy's leadership role? Who on the team has that in them to replace his presence in the locker room and on the field?
Hmmm... Good question
I never really thought of Jordy as a leader. He wasn't your prototypical vocal leader but I'm sure he was a leader in his veteran status alone.
Jimmy Graham as the veteran leader. Davante Adams as the vocal leader.

Back