Packers Release Jordy Nelson

Of course some fans will never be happy, and some fans will always be happy. That's kind of the nature of 'fandom'. I swear to God, if you make me quote Rodney King, I will haunt you when I die. :)

Soda out of my nose!! I needed that. I'll say it for you HH.

Can't we all just get along?

After DAdams got his contract, I think we all knew something was going to give. Some wanted both Jordy and Cobb to renegotiate, some wanted Cobb gone, some had a feeling it was going to be Jordy. We ended up saying goodbye to Jordy. Sadness.....but what if it went down closer to this?:
"Jordy, sorry we have to let you go. Our WR budget is maxed out and we've determined that you're the one to go. If you want to stay we can give you the vet minimum, but that's all we got."
Would that version make people feel any better? IDK.
How about "He's in a better place now and making more $$$ than any of us thought he would".

It's emotional with Jordy because he exemplified what a Great Packer should be.

Cobb gets $12M this year. In both his and Jordy’s last complete season together with ARod (2016, less than two years ago), Nelson had 1,257 yds, 13 YPC, 14 TDs and Comeback Player of the Year. Cobb had 610 yds, 10 YPC, 4 TDs. Last year he ranked 56th in yds. Heck, a few years ago a last minute acquisition (James Jones) at veteran’s minimum put up better numbers! The ONLY thing Cobb has over Jordy is he is five years younger.

Jordy was ranked 88th last year. But he did have six TDs in five games before Gumbly took over. That was on pace for 19 TDs! [bcolor=#ffff00]There was no way Hundley, with his accuracy issues, could connect on timing routes that Jordy ran flawlessly… and forget anything over 15 yards unless Hundley was throwing to the opposing team[/bcolor]. And if Jordy’s performance has dropped to such a level to warrant a lowball offer, don’t you think Bennett (who worked closely with Jordy his whole career), McKenzie or Gruden would see it?

To me, the easy decision was releasing Cobb and negotiating a fair contract with Nelson. Cobb has underperformed his contract, whereas Jordy has outperformed his (throwing out last year).

i'm glad i'm not the only one seeing these things. we cut the wrong guy. period. we are exacerbating the bad contract decision that was made after cobb had one good season.

the argument that rodgers just makes receivers look better than they really are doesn't really hold water unless you want to admit that even with magical rodgers throwing him the ball randall cobb isn't anything more than a 600-yards, 4td receiver. and once you come to that realization, you also understand that he really isn't even that good because rodgers has been the one throwing the ball to him for the bulk of his underachieving career.

We're all guessing on the Cobb vs Nelson decision. At the end of this season, McCarthy and Gute are going to have to face the issue head on, and their decision is going to be pretty obviously right or wrong.

For some reason, I believe that this was a McCarthy decision. Based on what Rodgers said when his QB coach was given walking papers, it's just possible that McCarthy wanted to get rid of Rodgers' closest ally on the team, and field. Kind of like blaming Jordy for the failures of Hundley in a round about way. Just speculation. No facts, just thoughts on it.

We're all guessing on the Cobb vs Nelson decision. At the end of this season, McCarthy and Gute are going to have to face the issue head on, and their decision is going to be pretty obviously right or wrong.

For some reason, I believe that this was a McCarthy decision. Based on what Rodgers said when his QB coach was given walking papers, it's just possible that McCarthy wanted to get rid of Rodgers' closest ally on the team, and field. Kind of like blaming Jordy for the failures of Hundley in a round about way. Just speculation. No facts, just thoughts on it.

Do you think MM is really that petty?

Do you think MM is really that petty?

It's quite possible danno. I don't know for sure, but after watching past actions, related to players, and coaches, I have a hunch he's a little more buttoned-down on what he'll accept than we can see out front.

I even believe that the demonstrative coaching style we saw from Kevin Greene wasn't what McCarthy liked. He seems to prefer coaches who act like they are more "analytical" on the sideline, and Kevin was on the field giving high-5s, and just plain jacking his players up, play after play.

Every coach is different, and as I said, McCarthy may be more buttoned-down than we think. Just an opinion here, can't say it's fact, because I'm not a psychologist.

A coach like that will also be a control freak, and will do what's necessary to break anyone's spirit who disagrees with them. That might be the case with Rodgers. We just don't know.

It's quite possible danno. I don't know for sure, but after watching past actions, related to players, and coaches, I have a hunch he's a little more buttoned-down on what he'll accept than we can see out front.

I even believe that the demonstrative coaching style we saw from Kevin Greene wasn't what McCarthy liked. He seems to prefer coaches who act like they are more "analytical" on the sideline, and Kevin was on the field giving high-5s, and just plain jacking his players up, play after play.

Every coach is different, and as I said, McCarthy may be more buttoned-down than we think. Just an opinion here, can't say it's fact, because I'm not a psychologist.

A coach like that will also be a control freak, and will do what's necessary to break anyone's spirit who disagrees with them. That might be the case with Rodgers. We just don't know.

"buttoned-down" = "stuffed shirt"?? sneaky:

"buttoned-down" = "stuffed shirt"?? sneaky:

McCarthy believes that everyone within the organization should be blindly obedient to his direction. Animation is almost sacrilege. Nobody shows it except him, then you can follow suit, and mimic his response. Nothing else is welcome. He's buttoned-down into his personal beliefs, and nobody should even consider crossing the line, or they pay the price.

In Rodgers' case, he can't attack him directly, so he cuts into his inner circle. Just my opinion.

I love the speculation. Makes for interesting offseason fodder. But at the end of the day it is just speculation. I do think it's interesting that the speculation typically has a negative view of the organization/coaching staff. I mean why couldn't the Jordy move just be a business decision? It doesn't mean it was the right decision and certainly isn't a popular decision but to me it was just a decision.

Back