Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

It's fine. It's continuity and he's better than an outside hire. He doesn't have strong football ops experience so there has been speculation that he may restore the old GM structure. We'll see. IMO it has been an obvious move for a number of years now and I can't argue with it too much.
I am more interested to see if Policy will tweak the leadership hierarchy once he takes over, i.e. continue having the HC report directly to the team president rather than the GM. I can’t say I liked that change when Murphy incorporated it and I still don’t. Don't mind the hire though.

Was Policy not the commish of the Arena Football League? I could see him keep himself as final boss.

Quay Walker says Packers' second-round pick has been 'flying around' on the practice field
Story by Jordan Dajani

The Green Bay Packers are looking to be better and more consistent on defense in 2024, which is why general manager Brian Gutekunst spent two of his first three draft picks on that side of the ball. One of those picks was linebacker Edgerrin Cooper out of Texas A&M, who was CBS Sports' No. 1 linebacker in the class.

Cooper is expected to make an immediate impact in Green Bay, and those in the Packers organization are excited about him. During the final minicamp practice, head coach Matt LaFleur even tried to call a play to fool Cooper, but the rookie didn't bite on the ploy, per the Packers' official website. Cooper's new running mate, Quay Walker, is also excited about what the first-year player has shown so far.
"He's showing flashes, getting downhill, playing, flying around," Walker said, via Packers.com "I just tell him, 'Don't do no thinking, bro. Just fly around. If you mess up, it is what it is. You a rookie. Just take what you can learn … and go from there.'"

CBS Sports NFL Draft expert Chris Trapasso graded the Cooper pick a "B+," pointing to his young age of 22, as well as his tendency to play downhill and be serviceable both in run support and coverage.

Cooper was named All-SEC First Team and AP All-America First Team last season after leading the SEC in tackles for loss with 17. His 84 total tackles marked a career high, and he notched eight sacks after recording just half a sack in his first three collegiate seasons. Cooper could be a unique weapon for new defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley to deploy, and just another one of these young players that is going to help the Packers get to where they want to go.

The Green Bay Packers have signed WRs Rory Starkey and Jalen Wayne and waived/injured WR Alex McGough. The transactions were announced Friday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.
Starkey (6-0, 214), a rookie out of Samford, participated in the Packers' rookie minicamp in May on a tryout basis. He appeared in 11 games for the Bulldogs in 2023 and caught 27 passes for 204 yards (7.6 avg.). Starkey played in 27 contests in three seasons at Penn (2019, 2021-22) and posted 119 receptions for 1,549 yards (13.0 avg.) and 14 TDs, earning second-team All-Ivy League recognition in 2022 after leading the Quakers with a career-high 56 catches. He will wear No. 16 for the Packers.
Wayne (6-2, 210), a first-year player out of South Alabama, entered the league with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in May 2023. He also spent time with the Cleveland Browns during the 2023 preseason and the CFL's Montreal Alouettes in 2024. Wayne appeared in 61 games in six seasons at South Alabama (2017-22), hauling in 152 passes for 1,980 yards (13.0 avg.) and 14 TDs. He will wear No. 2 for the Packers.

Packers brought in Jake Fromm for a workout today. Most likely just a guy to keep in Gute's roledex in case a injury happens.

Back