Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

At this point McGough is pretty much just another camp body nothing more.

Read that GB declined Stokes’ 5th year option. Wonder if they give him a small extension, similar to the Love deal but less money.

Fast doesn't necessarily make you a solid receiver. It's a great aid, yes, but it's just a small part of the measurement of what makes them good.

If I went by speed as being my standard for what makes a great receiver, I wouldn't have ever seen Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Bolden, and Chad Johnson playing in the NFL. And that's just a handful. There are a lot off great receivers who never had blistering speed. Raymond Berry was in the 4.8 range, Jordy Nelson 4.5, the list is endless.
i'm an old guy too, so don't take this the wrong way, but almost all of those receivers that you mentioned play in a totally different era when speed wasn't as important for wide receivers. and when there wasn't an abundance of defensive backs who ran sub 4.5 40s. i mean good grief, raymond berry played over 50 years ago. i realize that there are a handful of successful wide receivers over the past decade who ran in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, but very few (if any) with a ras of 3.26.

also, let's not forget that mcgough ran that 4.62 40 over five years ago, and probably can't come close to that now.

Read that GB declined Stokes’ 5th year option. Wonder if they give him a small extension, similar to the Love deal but less money.
At this point I let him play out the year prove he's healthy. Got Love big money coming due as soon as this month and could have option to sign Watson or Doubs to a ext after this year. If Stokes can show he's healthy and play at a good level after those injuries then I would be open to a new deal for him.

i'm an old guy too, so don't take this the wrong way, but almost all of those receivers that you mentioned play in a totally different era when speed wasn't as important for wide receivers. and when there wasn't an abundance of defensive backs who ran sub 4.5 40s. i mean good grief, raymond berry played over 50 years ago. i realize that there are a handful of successful wide receivers over the past decade who ran in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, but very few (if any) with a ras of 3.26.

also, let's not forget that mcgough ran that 4.62 40 over five years ago, and probably can't come close to that now.
On Sirius NFL radio today Ed McCaffery said every team he was on there was a guy with blazing speed who people said if this guy can learn to catch he will be a HOF. Ends up you never new this guy even played in the NFL. Track speed and NFL speed are two different things a lot of fast guys like you see at the combine wow the crowds but suck in the NFL because they can't catch and/or run a route tree.

Reactions: TW
On Sirius NFL radio today Ed McCaffery said every team he was on there was a guy with blazing speed who people said if this guy can learn to catch he will be a HOF. Ends up you never new this guy even played in the NFL. Track speed and NFL speed are two different things a lot of fast guys like you see at the combine wow the crowds but suck in the NFL because they can't catch and/or run a route tree.
yeah, i'm not disputing the fact that not every fast receiver is a good receiver. but if you can time a guy with a sundial, he has literally no chance of succeeding in the nfl. fast guys not necessarily good. slow guys not going to make it in the modern age of the nfl. obviously there are exceptions to the slow guys rule. but those exceptions are few and far between, and are always players who played the wide receiver position in college. not some 28 year old just learning the position.

Steve Largent
played 50 years ago.

Steve Largent
He's another guy they said couldn't make it in the NFL because he was so slow.

Fred Bilitnikoff, who was a darned good receiver, said; "l run the 40 in 4.7 and that's fast enough," he once pointed out. "If the game of catching a football was simply a 40-yard race between the receivers and the cornerbacks, I'd lose some races. But it is more than just that.

Speed in shorts and t-shirt, and with full gear on, are two different animals completely.

Or be Richard Rodgers be so dam slow no one covers you so by the time you run down field on a hail mary pass you are just getting to the endzone as the ball gets there LOL.

Back