Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

“Yes (I could walk away from my contract),” said Rodgers. “Money is energy and I have made a ton of it. I’m very thankful for this organization and the generational wealth that they’ve offered me. Hopefully they feel like I’ve earned a lot of it. But, yeah. For sure. I could definitely walk away from that.”

“I’m not going to hold them hostage,” added the defending MVP. “You know, I understand we’re still in January here. March is free agency. Just need some time to like I said, get the emotion out of it and then figure out what’s best.”.

Who know what Aaron will do. It feels like he's calling it quits, but after a few weeks he may decide to come back. Hopefully he doesn't take too long because as was expressed above, AR kind of determines the direction of many things for the organization this off-season.

If he comes back you don't really want to waste $50mil paying him while starting a "rebuild/reset". You pretty much have to bring back as much of the current group as possible while continuing to play tricks with the CAP to hold things together for another year. Hopefully at the same time adding some quality draft picks and maybe a veteran or two. You also have a tough decision to make on JLove.

If AR is done, then you likely gamble more on the future. Cut or move guys like BahK, Jones, Smith, etc. and free up some CAP space to add a young playmaker for '23 and gain even more CAP space in '24, so you can really hit the FA market with a young QB that still isn't eating up a crazy amount of CAP.

If AR is done, then you likely gamble more on the future. Cut or move guys like BahK, Jones, Smith, etc. and free up some CAP space to add a young playmaker for '23 and gain even more CAP space in '24, so you can really hit the FA market with a young QB that still isn't eating up a crazy amount of CAP.
It sounds like Bakhtiari will be back (with no or some level of cap manipulation) - he said he wants to be back, ML said he wants him back, apparently he's already gotten his workout plan for the off-season. IMO it's even more important to have him back with Love starting, when AR took over as QB the Packers didn't cut Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher to save money, if anything it's even more important to have solid tackles for your developing QB. Really would set Love up for failure by cutting the best/most productive players on the team.

In their start to building their 90-man offseason roster, the Green Bay Packers on Tuesday signed kicker Parker White but did not retain Ramiz Ahmed.

White was South Carolina’s kicker for five seasons. As a super-senior in 2021, he made 16-of-17 field goals (94.1 percent) with a long of 54 yards as well as all 30 point-after attempts. He set the school’s career record with 368 points and 72 field goals. Six of those field goals provided the deciding points in the fourth quarter or overtime.

The Packers ended the season with three kickers: 38-year-old Mason Crosby, the franchise career scoring leader who is headed to free agency, and practice squad players Ahmed and Matt Ammendola.

A source said the Packers did not re-sign either, meaning White is the only kicker under contract. He worked out for the team in August and again in October, when he hit all 10 field-goal attempts, including 4-for-4 from 50-plus yards.

White went undrafted this year and got a couple tryouts afterward but wasn’t signed.

“All it takes is one team, right?” White told The State after the draft.

The COVID year was a big one for White, who made just 11-of-19 during his senior season of 2020.

“I would have been in trouble because I didn’t have a good season in 2020 and the team wasn’t doing well,” White said in reference to receiving another year of eligibility. “We had a lot of unfinished business on the field. So, to be able to capitalize on it the way that we did — winning the (Duke’s Mayo Bowl), for me to be able to break the record and go over like 90 percent this year — I think that was a testament to how the whole team worked.”

White was listed by the Gamecocks as 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, so he’s a big man with a powerful leg.

“He’s automatic. He’s clutch,” coach Shane Beamer said in November. “I don’t know if there’s a better kicker in the country.”

Ahmed was signed midway through training camp and performed well enough to get a season-long spot on the practice squad. He was elevated for kickoffs in two games. One of those was the Week 17 game against Minnesota, when he injured a groin during pregame warmups and didn’t play. The injury had nothing to do with the decision to not give him a contract. With Ahmed on the shelf, the Packers brought in Ammendola.

It sounds like Bakhtiari will be back (with no or some level of cap manipulation) - he said he wants to be back, ML said he wants him back, apparently he's already gotten his workout plan for the off-season. IMO it's even more important to have him back with Love starting, when AR took over as QB the Packers didn't cut Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher to save money, if anything it's even more important to have solid tackles for your developing QB. Really would set Love up for failure by cutting the best/most productive players on the team.

Don't entirely disagree. The difference with Clifton and Tauscher is they were not coming off major injury and were younger when AR took over. Bahk is going to need to be replaced in the next few years either way so why not move him now and draft a young OT in the first 2 rounds. Notice, I didn't suggest getting rid of all the good, high-priced talent, just the guys who are getting closer to hitting the wall and costing a lot of CAP. The savings could maybe be used to add say a veteran TE and/or WR to give Love some playmakers on offense. It's a trade-off.

Don't entirely disagree. The difference with Clifton and Tauscher is they were not coming off major injury and were younger when AR took over. Bahk is going to need to be replaced in the next few years either way so why not move him now and draft a young OT in the first 2 rounds. Notice, I didn't suggest getting rid of all the good, high-priced talent, just the guys who are getting closer to hitting the wall and costing a lot of CAP. The savings could maybe be used to add say a veteran TE and/or WR to give Love some playmakers on offense. It's a trade-off.
Clifton was a little older than Bakhtari, Tauscher a little younger. All three over 30, within about a year of one another. Clifton always seemed to have nagging knee and back issues, and he didnt wind up playing much longer.

All I'm saying is - and I don't think you were saying this - there are good reasons to move on from Bakhtari, but cutting him because you're about to start a young QB is a terrible reason.

Clifton was a little older than Bakhtari, Tauscher a little younger. All three over 30, within about a year of one another. Clifton always seemed to have nagging knee and back issues, and he didnt wind up playing much longer.

All I'm saying is - and I don't think you were saying this - there are good reasons to move on from Bakhtari, but cutting him because you're about to start a young QB is a terrible reason.
I think Bak needs to take a redone contract to stay in GB. Perhaps take his roster bonus due 3rd day of league year and convert that into per game bonus money.

I think Bak needs to take a redone contract to stay in GB. Perhaps take his roster bonus due 3rd day of league year and convert that into per game bonus money.
Your going to have to rework both 2023 and 2024 which most likely means add on years or void years

Your going to have to rework both 2023 and 2024 which most likely means add on years or void years
When these guys, the FO's, negotiate and craft these contracts, are they aware of the future ramifications!?! I know that's rhetorical and these guys are pros but what is with some of these contracts that seem to hamstring the organization? Is this what we're gonna see as business as usual from now on?

When these guys, the FO's, negotiate and craft these contracts, are they aware of the future ramifications!?! I know that's rhetorical and these guys are pros but what is with some of these contracts that seem to hamstring the organization? Is this what we're gonna see as business as usual from now on?
Other organizations have been doing this for years to manipulate the cap. Are they aware of future consequences? Yes business as usual? Probably. It’s all philosophical. And honestly when the cap went down / flat during Covid teams really had no choice but to give void years or gut the roster. GB was adverse to void years until then but at the same time to keep elite talent it’s a tool to keep the core together

Back