Packers 2022 Thread

Good to see the kiss assing is alive and well!! :p Yes, most could see Murphy and the top brass having a lot to do with the issues. Does that absolve ML? I'll leave that for the smarter crowd to decide. Unfortunately, if and when Murphy is gone, does the replacement have the smarts to keep ML or is there a house cleaning?

Ha! Well Bud, I have to do it once in a while. :cool:

Good to see the kiss assing is alive and well!! :p Yes, most could see Murphy and the top brass having a lot to do with the issues. Does that absolve ML? I'll leave that for the smarter crowd to decide. Unfortunately, if and when Murphy is gone, does the replacement have the smarts to keep ML or is there a house cleaning?
Really ??

Look I don't like Barry, said it was a dumb hire day 1. His scheme has always been vanilla. Last season a couple of guys got signed and played lights out to stay on. Now they are what they are. The high picks? How many high picks in the league turn out to be consistently great? Most are just okay. So just okay players and vanilla scheme gives you what you got. It is what is, no silver bullets unless the okay players start playing lights out.tc(

I think our defense is limited by the capability of the players themselves. How many of our CBs are actually good enough to do man coverage on a regular basis? How consistent can our pass rush be with the horses we have, if they're forced to step up the pressure, to keep our DBs from being burned because the QB has too much time to make decisions? How good are our LBs, in shutting down the line of scrimmage in run defense, and covering the passing game in our exposure over the middle?

I think that comes into play, with a lot of the talent we have. Add in the fact that Barry's defenses have never been creative.

The problem with changing it all, at this point, or for next year, isn't best by switching types of defense as much as it is finding better athletes to fill spots, and have a DC who is creative in his approach to disguising coverage.

It's like I've been saying now, for several years, for the Packers to be a consistent winner, they need to figure on scoring 30 points or more a game, in most cases. The defense will only be up periodically, to cover our offense having a poor showing.

I think our defense is limited by the capability of the players themselves. How many of our CBs are actually good enough to do man coverage on a regular basis?
There are limited places that quantify such things, but using PFF grades, Jaire Alexander had the #1 press-man coverage grade in the league in 2020. Last year, Stokes was #8 in the league in press-man coverage overall, #5 in lowest passer rating allowed when targeted in press-man. Take PFF grades with as big a grain of salt as you want, but the answer to your question is that this group is the best group of man coverage corners they've had since Woodson/Tramon, and Barry and ML are dopes for coaching as if they still have to gamelan around Kevin King.

There are limited places that quantify such things, but using PFF grades, Jaire Alexander had the #1 press-man coverage grade in the league in 2020. Last year, Stokes was #8 in the league in press-man coverage overall, #5 in lowest passer rating allowed when targeted in press-man. Take PFF grades with as big a grain of salt as you want, but the answer to your question is that this group is the best group of man coverage corners they've had since Woodson/Tramon, and Barry and ML are dopes for coaching as if they still have to gamelan around Kevin King.
I think the limited pass rush we have creates a lot of what they can use for coverage packages.

I think the limited pass rush we have creates a lot of what they can use for coverage packages.
Chicken or egg, is the rush not getting home because the secondary is giving up so many soft, easy completions?

Back