Packers 2015 acquisitions: Tolzien and Hundley provided stability behind Rodgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8776348.0.jpg

We look at the two significant acquisitions at the quarterback position for Green Bay.

The Green Bay Packers made two significant acquisition at the quarterback position in 2015, as they elected to part ways with Matt Flynn for a second time. Former Wisconsin Badgers quarterback Scott Tolzien was re-signed as part of the free agent class, while Ted Thompson made a surprise move during the 2015 NFL Draft to move up in the fifth round to select another quarterback.

Neither player made a significant impact during the regular season thanks to good health from the starter, but both being present on the roster helped to give Packers fans and coaches some peace of mind after the backup issues of the 2013 season.

Scott Tolzien

How acquired: re-signed to one-year $1.35 million contract
2015 Stats: 1 completion on 1 attempt, 4 yards; 3 rushes, -3 yards

Aaron Rodgers' backup in every game in 2015, Tolzien saw very little actual game action with Rodgers remaining healthy enough to play every meaningful snap of each game. Tolzien earned the backup job with a solid summer performance, beating out a rookie and a token competition from free agent Matt Blanchard in training camp.

Tolzien received some interest last offseason as a potential starter, and it is possible that he may this season as well. However, he has had no regular-season action tape since his handful of starts in 2013 while filling in for Rodgers while his collarbone was fractured.

Grade: Incomplete.

Brett Hundley

How acquired: 5th-round draft pick (#147 overall). Contract: 4 years, $2.503 million
2015 stats: None

Hundley was the NFL's top-rated passer in the 2015 preseason, and he racked up a very impressive 16-of-23 line in the fourth preseason game against the New Orleans Saints. That game saw him rack up 236 yards and four touchdowns, and although it came against a team that would be the league's worst in pass defense.

However, Hundley was not activated for any 2015 games, thanks to Rodgers and Tolzien remaining healthy. Another offseason through the Packers' program should help him to continue on his upward trajectory and development..

Grade: Incomplete.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Hundley was the NFL's top-rated passer in the 2015 preseason

there are people on this forum who will tell you that this is meaningless because "anyone can play that well against the 3rd stringers that hundley faced". i think that isn't exactly truthful. there are at least 32 other nfl quarterbacks that played in the fourth quarter of preaseason games against third stringers and did not do nearly as well. so no - not just anyone can put up those kinds of numbers.

clearly he does still have to be coached up, gain experience, and fine tune his skills before he can be a starter but i thought he showed plenty of potential.

I love Hundley and he does seem to get it. But let's see how his 2nd year goes. If Tolzein is able to walk we should bring in competition for him. The guy looked very good in a short amount of time but let's get a bit more realistic here.

I love Hundley and he does seem to get it. But let's see how his 2nd year goes. If Tolzein is able to walk we should bring in competition for him. The guy looked very good in a short amount of time but let's get a bit more realistic here.

Not sure how much more realistic you can get than what realitybytes stated. He looked good, he's raw but looks to have the potential.

Very simply put it's not possible to fully judge him based on preseason work one way or another. Just like Janis and Abby we simply don't have enough quality snaps to say yes...no ..or maybe yet. Incomplete body of work.

Psst RB that's just reality (pun not intended)

he's shown enough i'd keep him around and see where it goes. But if Tolzein walks you still need someone as Arods backup.

he's shown enough i'd keep him around and see where it goes. But if Tolzein walks you still need someone as Arods backup.

I think Hundley can be the backup this year. Remember what was it 2008 when we had Flynn and Brohm both rookies as backups to Rodgers. I think Hundley can be a very good backup in this league. Starter? Don't know about that. I think for sure Hundley has more upside then Tolzein. I think we have see as far as Tolzein can go in this league. Tolzein is an adqeute backup nothing more and I think Hundley if he shows more development can be an improvement over Tolzein.

Hundley is a project. Was last year and will be this year. If I'm placing bets now Tolzein beats him out. That's assuming he's back. If Hundley has to play this year it's going to be painful

I think a lot of people had their minds made up about Hundley before the draft and will be very difficult to change them no matter what he does.

I thought he was a pleasant surprise. Had a horrible start but finished very strong. He started game 3 against the Eagles, 22-31 for 315, 2TDs, a pick and a fumble. Not bad for a project.

Im not counting on him to be a starter but I'm also not writing him off based on pre-draft evaluation. Let him prove or disprove it on the field. This will be a huge offseason for him, in the weight room and with footwork and film room. Between him and Tolzein, first off don't see why Scott wouldn't go somewhere and compete for starting reps, but in a pinch I like that Hundley can run. I also like that both he and Tolzien never showed fear of pushing the ball down the field.

From what I hear Hundley has progressed nicely this past season. I'm looking forward to seeing him this spring/summer. I wonder if another team will offer Tolzien a chance to challenge for a starting job?

Back