Officiating changes

If you're going to have replay, I'd rather take the Bill Belichick approach, allow a team to challenge/review any single play. The competition committee is doing what all committees do, which is reduce clarity, increase hoops to jump through and overall empower their own bureaucracy to stay relevant year after year. My tweak is that each team should only get one per game. That's it - you can review any play for missed calls or non-called penalties, but you only get one.

From 2011 to 2016, NFL games had an average of 1.6 replay reviews per game, with 41 percent of them resulting in an on-field call being overturned....not sure on post 2016. Also looks like PI was overturned 12%.

From 2011 to 2016, NFL games had an average of 1.6 replay reviews per game, with 41 percent of them resulting in an on-field call being overturned....not sure on post 2016. Also looks like PI was overturned 12%.
as we have all seen with our own eyes - just because a call wasn't reversed by the same group of officials who made the call in the first place, that does not mean the original call was correct. i have to believe that this is the primary reason for having the ny-based ref having more control.

while we are on the subject of rules changes - one thing i would like to see is an end to the farce of offensive holding. just get rid of the rule. there's holding on virtually every play, and the refs call it maybe a few times per game with zero consistency.

as we have all seen with our own eyes - just because a call wasn't reversed by the same group of officials who made the call in the first place, that does not mean the original call was correct. i have to believe that this is the primary reason for having the ny-based ref having more control.
Maybe. Much of it goes back to how the Competition Committee has jerked around with the rules. Too much is left to interpretation which leads to inconsistent rulings

I believe MLB & NBA has NY area based replay crews and it has not helped much if at all.

I don't mind reviews. In fact, I appreciate them. I want the best officiated game possible, so the winner is decided by how well their team played. My objective is to enjoy the game, not to get it over quicker, because I want to do something else. Hell! I even enjoy overtime games. It's like I'm getting more bang for my buck!

Back