Officiating changes

TW

Reaction score
I have mixed emotions on this addition to officiating. The one thing I'm certain I like is that there will be some changes in when reviews take place. I may be reading into it, but I believe the on-field officials will be hard pressed to get the calls right. It might rid the game of some of these 4th quarter blown calls, when a team no longer has the review available to them.

Not a fan that NY will now pretty much have more power on the field. 8th ref in booth would have been better then this crappy rule

Not a fan that NY will now pretty much have more power on the field. 8th ref in booth would have been better then this crappy rule
I think they're reasoning for having them in NY is that they don't want the off-field official to become a "part of the team" of officials on the field. Sometimes they tend to let things slide by other officials because they protect each other. The person in NY is truly not part of their group.

Just my thought on it.

I think they're reasoning for having them in NY is that they don't want the off-field official to become a "part of the team" of officials on the field. Sometimes they tend to let things slide by other officials because they protect each other. The person in NY is truly not part of their group.

Just my thought on it.
I think there is a lot of truth to this. The protect your own thing. MLB has had this issue in the past

I say leave it alone and go back to no replay. Human error is part of the game.... as a matter of fact, roll back the rules about 15 years and stop playing touch FB. It hasn't help injuries at all while you at it dig up the field turf and reinstall grass...again it didn't prevent anything except grounds keeping costs went down.

I say leave it alone and go back to no replay. Human error is part of the game.... as a matter of fact, roll back the rules about 15 years and stop playing touch FB. It hasn't help injuries at all while you at it dig up the field turf and reinstall grass...again it didn't prevent anything except grounds keeping costs went down.
i'd much rather have them get the calls right than inject random errors into the game. as far as rules changes go, there's a very expensive legal issue at play. unless you can get the union to waive rights to any and all claims for cte, the league has to do whatever they can to minimize exposure.

i'd much rather have them get the calls right than inject random errors into the game. as far as rules changes go, there's a very expensive legal issue at play. unless you can get the union to waive rights to any and all claims for cte, the league has to do whatever they can to minimize exposure.
Couple of notes on the CTE issue from high court rulings :

>>The U.S. Supreme Court says it will not consider a challenge to the terms of a concussion-related settlement between the National Football League and more than 20,000 retired players.

>>> " But a federal appeals court found the admission did not invalidate the deal, under which the NFL did not admit wrongdoing, and the Supreme Court upheld the lower court's decision.""

And the BIG Elephant elephant) " CTE can be diagnosed 100% only through a brain autopsy after a person has died."

So you gotta be dead first......

The "NEW" rules haven't cut down on injuries as they stated nor has "field turf" helped those issue"s ( imagine that rubber on a concrete base idiots) I would argue to the end they have created a more dangerous situation than helped over the past 5 years in particular.

As to the Players Union, they could give a Rat's behind about "Safety" they are worried about $, getting out of offseason work without losing $ and not having weed be a rule violation and rule violation suspensions etc.... AND $.

Actually the league has to do whatever they can to show the appearance they care about player safety but yes there might be some legal issues involved. Technically retired players are not part of the union so not sure how that applies

Actually the league has to do whatever they can to show the appearance they care about player safety but yes there might be some legal issues involved. Technically retired players are not part of the union so not sure how that applies
It does not... both the Federal appeals court and SCOTUS made clear that the two are not connected.

Back