Official Week 5 Green Bay vs St. Louis Thread

Agree Sixty. They don't like taking RB's and TE's out of the pattern. That is why I think the chip block would be the best option. Then the route is just delayed and they may get open off the short routes and pick up 5-7 yards.

I also agree with Catcher on moving AR out of the pocket. I haven't seen a lot of play action bootlegs this year. Or am I wrong on this?
I think they ran a lot of play action bootlegs last week but not as much prior to that. They started the game with one IIRC.

Part of me has the faith the Green Bay Packers organization can put together the right game plane and another part of me says 2015 St. Louis Rams is playing exactly what Mark referenced to "smash mouth - unrelenting hard hitting football".
With the exception of week one with a ton of missed tackles and guys looking like they were afraid to hit, the Packers have been playing some smash mouth-unrelenting hard hitting football too. The Rams have to be as concerned or more about that fact considering their offense is not very good yet. The unknown is what worries me the most and that is Gurley.

Whom ever has put together the personel packages week in week out. Also the defensive game plans are hats off. It's seems we have the players now that can stop the run which sets up what Capers has tried to run for years. By seasons end we will know if we have achieved a top 5 or ten defense. It's looking to me like Capers has not had the personel to run his defense

Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Wednesday:

- (On Rams defense) Very good defense. Starts with their front. Their ability to create pressure upfront sets the tone.
- (On normal week) Definitely, to be on a seven-day week and be on the normal time is something I talked to team about. It's important for our preparation to reflect the seven-day schedule.
- (On Rodgers lack of turnovers) He's doing the best job he's done. Something we'll build off. Something we stress. Everybody has different ways emphasizing it and drilling it. Our guys have done a good job with it.
- (On Rodgers without Nelson) He hasn't changed how he plays. You don't replace Jordy Nelson. We don't need to change how we're playing. They just need to play their role and take advantage of the opportunities you get. Aaron has done a great job not pressing or forcing things.
- (On run defense) It starts up front. Our line has done a nice job of gap integrity. We're doing a great job with that.
- (On Bulaga) He'll be in the early group at practice and we'll see what he can do. We will just be in helmets (and shorts) today.
- (On Barclay) It's all fundamentals. There are some things we can do to help him. But there's still room for the OL to grow.
- (On TEs) We have two. It's important to get more out of KB. Richard is doing a great job. Always used a FB and TE as interchangeable. It's the way our personnel is distributed.
- (On Adams) We'll give him the full week. We'll see where we are tomorrow.
- (On Rams pass rush) It will be clear what their plan is. That's all part of the game, part of the chess match. You have tendencies how they'll rush each player. That's all part of the preparation.
- (On Montgomery) We did too much with him early. We thought he was going to be one of our best punt blockers. His ability to fit into the scheme is very high. But you have injuries, it's important to focus on wide receiver and maybe back off on special teams.
- (On Foles) Good quarterback. He can make the throws. He takes care of the football. Very rhythmic player, can tell he's in tune with the system.

Continue reading...

Have a current Packers related question - hoping this is the correct thread to ask it in.

I think TODAY Packers are listed at #8 in First Down NFL leaders which is solid. Are you concerned/worried about 3rd down conversions 47 attempts but only 19 converted. (at 40.4 percent.) Source I used (hope I read it correctly) http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs

I'm thinking though Packers won, specifically the past two previous games on 3rd down conversions were "badder" as a fan than I would like the Packers to be. I'd like to hear your knowledge and opinions. - Kaye

Kaye,

I think we are lower on third downs currently because of the injuries at WR. No Jordy and Adams has hurt. We have rookies and low experienced receivers out there. Only Cobb and Jones with experience and that can lead to WR's not running the correct routes and not getting open.

We have had a few untimely penalties in the last few games that have set back into 3rd and long. We need to fix those mistakes.

Lastly, it could be because we have a new Offensive Coordinator. Even though he is on the same staff, it can affect offensive rhythm and consistency.

I think as we get healthier and into the season more, FCC( you will see that percentage go up on third downs. Just my opinion.

Kaye,

I think we are lower on third downs currently because of the injuries at WR. No Jordy and Adams has hurt. We have rookies and low experienced receivers out there. Only Cobb and Jones with experience and that can lead to WR's not running the correct routes and not getting open.

We have had a few untimely penalties in the last few games that have set back into 3rd and long. We need to fix those mistakes.

Lastly, it could be because we have a new Offensive Coordinator. Even though he is on the same staff, it can affect offensive rhythm and consistency.

I think as we get healthier and into the season more, FCC( you will see that percentage go up on third downs. Just my opinion.

Thank you - your opinion has some common sense in it. I "got" everything you said. - Kaye

Rams front 7 is disgusting and Gurley is the best combination of speed and power we have seen this year. Still, hard to see Rams beating us unless they beat us in the turnover game, which is unlikely. Going GB 24 Rams 13 with the game close until late in the 3rd.

Its hard to be scared of anything when the game is in Lambeau but the Rams are pretty much built to be spoilers. They have a way of dragging good teams down to their level and letting bad teams hang around so everything is a close game.

I wouldn't want to play them on the road. It'd be a bit like having another Denver on the schedule.

With the exception of week one with a ton of missed tackles and guys looking like they were afraid to hit, the Packers have been playing some smash mouth-unrelenting hard hitting football too. The Rams have to be as concerned or more about that fact considering their offense is not very good yet. The unknown is what worries me the most and that is Gurley.

Doesn't that feel good to say? A couple years ago when Seattle and SF were dominating us physically, the constant refrain was that we were too soft or were a "finesse" team. If we were then, I don't think we are anymore.

Back