Official Week 4 Green Bay vs SF Thread

Short week, west coast trip, 80+ degree weather, a quarterback the Packers have struggled against, a team desperate for a win, and a new head coach that’s sure to provide some un-scouted looks on both offense and defense… add those ingredients up and you have yourself the makings of a potential trap game in San Francisco this weekend.

On paper, on any given week, this is a game that the Packers should win nine out of ten times. In fact, the Packers are nine point favorites. Even as heavy favorites, is the Packers aren’t careful, this is the type of game that could slip away. To avoid that happening, here are some matchups that Green Bay will need to win:

Colin Kaepernick vs. Packers’ Contain

It’s not a secret that the Packers have had their struggles against Colin Kaepernick’s athleticism over the last few games they’ve played. In his career against Green Bay, Kaepernick has run 31 times for 318 yards and 2 touchdowns; averaging over a ridiculous 10 yards per carry.

The Packers have struggled with all aspects of trying to contain the athletic and elusive 49ers’ quarterback. Recently, the Niners have made an effort to turn Kaepernick into more of a pocket passer, with less than stellar results. Kaepernick has struggled mightily the past couple of weeks which could result in the 49ers puting Kaepernick in a position to get out of the pocket and make plays with his legs.

While it’s hard to imagine anyone in San Francisco clamoring for Blaine Gabbert, Kaepernick has to realize that if he doesn’t improve soon, the 49ers will be in the market for a new QB sooner rather than later.

The Packers will have their hands full, but it won’t hurt that they just played Russell Wilson and the Seahawks 14 days ago. While Wilson and Kaepernick aren’t the exact same type of athletes, the preparation that the Packers put in to containing Wilson to the pocket will carry over well into their preparation this week.

Look for the Packers to spy Matthews or Palmer from the inside and create a perimeter around Kaepernick with their outside linebackers. If just one player isn’t assigment-sure, Kaepernick can gouge a team on any given play. It will take a consistent approach on Sunday to slow Kaepernick.

Eddie Lacy vs. NaVorro Bowman

This is a matchup that will be just plain fun to watch. While it’s disappointing that neither Lacy nor Bowman are fully healthy, these two football Goliaths will still put everything they have into running each other over. Simply put… I can’t wait to watch it happen.

This is a classic matchup of unstoppable force vs. unmovable object. Put in a prayer for both players’ health because I have a feeling neither man will know when to quit. Enjoy this one, folks!

The Centers vs. The Nose Tackles

On one side or the field the Packers will have a very favorable matchup with the rejuvenated and revitalized B.J. Raji vs. Pro Football Focus’ 2nd worst rated center, Marcus Martin. If the 49ers are going to want to beat the Packers, it’s going to start with a balanced attack on offense.

In order to make that happen Marcus Martin is going to have to control Raji, Pennell, Guion, Daniels or anyone else who lines up over him. It will be absolutely critical for Martin not to have another bad game and open holes up for Hyde inside which will in turn open up the offense for Kaepernick and the 49ers. If Raji continues where he’s left off the past three games, the middle will be clogged and the 49ers could become much more one-dimensional.

On the other side of the ball we’ll see more of a hardcore power vs. power matchup with Corey Linsley and Ian Williams. Where you want to watch this matchup is in the run game. Williams is an underrated run stopper and as we know Linsley can really generate power in the run game. Whether it’s because the Packers want to remain balanced throughout the game, or if it’s because the Packers are up late trying to execute their four minute offense, they will need Linsley to show up against a very stout interior defender in Williams.

Packers’ Safeties vs. Carlos Hyde

With Morgan Burnett’s health in question, it looks like Micah Hyde will get the start again, paired with HaHa Clinton-Dix at safety. The Packers front seven could be quite occupied with containing Kaepernick to the pocket which will force the safeties to be very involved in the run game.

Carlos Hyde is a very talented and physical runner not all that different from Eddie Lacy. If he hits a hole he can use power or a little bit of elusiveness to avoid oncoming defenders. Because of this, it will be important for Clinton-Dix and Micah Hyde to fill their run gaps effectively. We’ve seen HaHa struggle with making tackles in the open field over the course of his career, and this Sunday it will be vital that he makes sure tackles against a very tough runner in Carlos Hyde.

49ers’ OLB’s vs. Packers’ Tackles

Until Bulaga gets back the Packers tackles versus the opposing teams’ edge rushers is going to be a matchup to watch every week. I know PFF has had a bit of controversy this past week with their grading of Aaron Rodgers, but they have Bakhtiari and Barclay ranked 69th and 73rd respectively, out of 74 eligible offensive tackles. Regardless of what you think of PFF, if you’ve watched any of the Packers’ games this season, you’ve probably come to pretty much the same conclusion.

While the 49ers don’t have the same pass rush prowess they once did, Aaron Lynch and Ahmad Brooks still have the ability to beat the Packers’ tackles one on one and cause problems for the Packers in both the pass and run game. Simply put Bakhtiari and Barclay need to play better and it needs to start this Sunday in the Golden State.

Quick Hits:

• The last time the Packers have won on the west coast was on November 6th of 2011, almost four years ago. That win came against San Diego. Since then the Packers have been 0-5 on the west coast and have been outscored 109-157; giving up over 31 points per game on average.
  • Keep an eye on Vernon Davis’ health. He’s been a thorn in the Packers’ side and if he’s not available to play on Sunday it will be a huge break for Green Bay.
  • The Packers’ defensive line has been a pleasant surprise so far this season and now they will finally be at full strength with Letroy Guion coming back from suspension. Keep an eye on Guion vs. a weak 49ers interior as he is fresh and hopefully has some pent up suspension aggression.
  • The last time the Packers played in San Francisco, Anquan Boldin went off for 13 catches, 208 yards and a touchdown. Obviously Green Bay will need to do much better than that if they want to get out of Levi’s Stadium with a W.
  • One last thing to watch will be how the Packers use their tight ends. With Quarless out, Green Bay currently only has Rodgers and Backman on the roster. Will the Packers’ have faith enough in Backman to run their two tight-end sets, or will we see more use of the fullback and/or four and five wide receiver sets?

Thank you for reading. Andy Herman is a staff writer for Titletown Sound Off. You can follow him on Twitter @SconnieSports. For even more Packers content, follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Continue reading...

Right now I would consider sitting Adams till after the bye week to give him 4 weeks to fully heal that ankle up. By then you figure you would also be getting Bulaga back after the bye and maybe also sit Burnett till then also to give him time to fully heal.

Let's hope first and foremost that any visiting Packer FANS come out of the game healthy, because SF seems to be where visiting fans go to get beat up or murdered by lowlifes and ruffians.

I am so sad and disheartened that some San Francisco Sports Fans have devolved to hurting others. I have some thoughts that we all attach ourselves to a team as fans - but there may be some fans - too attached in this bad way. (My bad way is I haven't forgotten the NFC title game loss to the Giants here at home in Lambeau in 2008.)

As a woman at one time way back I remember there were some statistics as when some fans sports teams lose the domestic violence stats for that day (police calls) rise. I also wonder if being overly obsessed with fantasy football and/or sports gambling plays any part? Not saying it does, I just wonder about it? Someway it seems some fans absorb their team as being their identity.

As a kid when the tv set was not too snowy - I remember the Oakland fans and what was known as being the Black Hole as very scary as in intimidating. Those folks were shown often in TV out takes - shiver me goosebumps! But I do not know if there were actual actions and or fear of bodily harm there. Years first transplanted to Green Bay - I remember Packers fans saying they were not at all comfortable (felt nervous/ unwelcome/ bit scared) at Hubert Humphrey Dome in Minneapolis. I remember in recent 5-10 years reading all about Philadelphia Eagles (several different articles) having a court system right in place at the actual STADIUM itself - the criminal infractions being THAT MANY they needed to deal with it right there and then.

World has always been but even more so now with instant global communication a plenty scary place. One has to be aware at all times where they are and who is around them. Even that is sometimes not enough. - Kaye

ADD-IN Let's us not forget possible impaired judgement due to too much drinking. That is something we all have in our own power not to do. There are those who do choose to "let it rip."

Last edited:
Agree GBP4 that the time has come to just sit Adams for the next 2 games and the bye. Let it heal completely for the 2nd half of the season.

Agree Kaye that it has gotten to the point where you don't want to be an opposing fan in a rival's stadium anymore. I go to an away game for my favorites teams every year or two, but these days I keep a pretty low profile. I don't wear team gear anymore and keep my cheering sensible. Even with security at the stadiums/arenas sometimes opposing fans make it not worth the ticket price if you get into it with them the whole game.

yeah, i live in the monterey bay area which is just a stone's throw away from silicon valley where the niners play their home games. i have a friend with some connections to the 49ers organization and he offered to try and get me tickets for the game this weekend, but as luck would have it, this is a super-busy weekend at work for me and also for my wife so i turned him down. but even before that, i had read about what happened to that vikings fan a few weeks ago and decided i'd rather watch the game from the comfort and safety of my own sofa.

by the way, i blame obama.

The Packers are off to a 3-0 start, the defense is playing better than they have in years, and Aaron Rodgers is, once again, playing like an MVP. Up next is another grudge match as the Packers travel to San Francisco to take on the 49ers.

The Packers are 0-3 against San Francisco with Colin Kaepernick starting at quarterback. His ability to gain yardage with his legs along with an elite defensive unit has been a puzzle that the Packers have just not been able to solve. Green Bay has already gotten the Seahawks monkey off its back. Now, they look to put the struggles against Kaepernick and the 9ers behind them as well.

Green Bay Offense vs. San Francisco Defense

This used to be a case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. But this 49ers defense is just a shadow of what it was even a year ago. This offseason they lost linebackers Chris Borland and Patrick Willis and defensive end Justin Smith to retirement. They also lost linebackers Aldon Smith and Dan Skuta, and cornerbacks Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox. Their pass rush is nowhere near what it used to be, and their ability to stop the run has diminished as well.

Meanwhile, the Packers offense is firing on all cylinders. They have a top ten running game, even though Eddie Lacy has been limited due to an ankle injury. Despite playing against two very good defenses, Seattle and Kansas City, they’ve been able to manage 4.2 yards per carry and 127 yards per game.

Through the air, they’ve also been elite. While not among the league leaders in passing yardage, Rodgers has thrown 10 touchdowns already, more than anyone, and on pace for 53 this season.

Green Bay Defense vs. San Francisco Offense

This is the part of the game that makes me sweat. Kind of. Dom Capers has a less than impressive history against the read option, which Colin Kaepernick runs very well. The Seahawks ran the read option for much of the second half against the Packers two weeks ago and did so successfully. To be fair, it wasn’t part of the Seahawks original game plan and they only used it as a last resort because nothing else was working.

Fans shouldn’t lose too much sleep over the read option because it’s really the only thing Kaepernick can do. He doesn’t have elite targets to throw to, not that he can make all the throws anyway.

What the 9ers do have is a running game. Between Kaepernick’s scrambling ability and Carlos Hyde, who has proven to be a reliable option at running back, their rushing attack has the potential to cause Dom Capers fits. This run defense has improved significantly this season though. After a rough start against Matt Forte in Chicago, this unit has limited Marshawn Lynch and Jamal Charles to 90 rushing yards on 3.4 yards per carry. No defense would be upset with those numbers.

The Packers hold an advantage against this offense, especially if they can slow down the read option and keep Kaepernick in the pocket.

Special Teams

These are two solid special teams units. Most eyes will be on Australian rugby star turned NFL return man Jerry Hayne. While he’s yet to make a major impact, he definitely has the potential to break one for a big gain at any moment. The Packers coverage unit has been fantastic, so this matchup really doesn’t worry me. The Packers have their own return threat in Ty Montgomery, who also has the potential to take a kick to the house at any moment.

Prediction

It’s hard to see where the 49ers have an advantage here. The Packers are better in all three phases, and unless they have a major letdown game, it’s impossible to pick against them here.

Packers 38 – 49ers 20

Continue reading...

game from the comfort and safety of my own sofa.

by the way, i blame obama.
Good thing you added that, so people don't get confused that this is a wisconsin sports site. This and general political snipping here, not by you just in general.
Politics and religion tend to divide, just my two cents

Good thing you added that, so people don't get confused that this is a wisconsin sports site. This and general political snipping here, not by you just in general.
Politics and religion tend to divide, just my two cents

i think most people knew i was joking. it's a very common wise-crack to make about pretty much anything these days. you probably have no idea what my political affiliation is unless you happen to remember some of my old posts in the political forum at that other site that shall not be named.

lately it seems like some pretty obvious stuff goes right over your head. like the comment that i made earlier in this thread: "i thought dallas was in the nfc". of course i know dallas is in the nfc. but the writer of the article that i quoted didn't seem to know that. other people seemed to recognize that i was making a sarcastic comment about the article, but you seemed to think i was confused.

Last edited:
i think most people knew i was joking. it's a very common wise-crack to make about pretty much anything these days. you probably have no idea what my political affiliation is unless you happen to remember some of my old posts in the political forum at that other site that shall not be named.

lately it seems like some pretty obvious stuff goes right over your head. like the comment that i made earlier in this thread: "i thought dallas was in the nfc". of course i know dallas is in the nfc. but the writer of the article that i quoted didn't seem to know that. other people seemed to recognize that i was making a sarcastic comment about the article, but you seemed to think i was confused.

TRUTH FOR ME - most print sarcasm is like brain freeze for me - in this particular case - I GOT IT - amazingly enough - so in print I seem to have to be sure to put the *sarcasm alert* in as much as I can remember to do so. What I have found in my own case is that sarcasm does not always translate well that it is sarcasm in print media. So for goodness sake - this time - I am glad I GOT IT! We are all good here! - Kaye

Back OT: Besides the Bears game our defense has done a nice job stopping the run (it also helps to get early leads and make our opponents one dimensional) so if we can keep Kaepernick and Hyde from running wild I like our chances tomorrow

Back