Official Preseason Game 1 Green Bay vs San Francisco Thread

I thought the WRs looked pretty good, Winfree not so much, but Doubs, Toure, Davis, and even Amari. Amari looked great returning kickoffs - a lot quicker and less tentative. Did he even have a chance to return a punt? I think he still is the best returner they've used or talked about using. Tyler Davis didn't look good, and DeGuara pretty much stunk. If Dafney got in the game, I didn't notice him, same for Canella or whatever his name is.

There has been talk about passing less this year and running the ball more. That ain't gonna happen. As good as Goodson looked and Baylor too and Williams once also, even with Love and Etling, the passing was necessary to move the ball. The O Line just couldn't cut it.

On D, the higher level back ups weren't horrible. Most of the guys who give up big plays won't be on the team anyway. When the scrubs were in, Enigbare looked a little less bad than a lot of others. It seemed like they were trying to play the kind of D they would play with the big three Corners, but it didn't work with scrubs back there. And I'd never say good if any Packer gets hurt, but Leavitt was awful at Safety. I don't care if he's good on Special Teams, they ought to be able to find somebody as good for that who isn't such a liability otherwise.

I feel like Love has shown he can make all the throws, and not just in a presumptive way because of the arm strength. The one Doubs dropped on the bootleg was a pretty great throw given the circumstances. He just has to show that he can do them consistently.

There were a few really good throws but plays like the running back ones (unless the back was actually supposed to turn the route up field instead of into the flat) or the tip drill Winfree came down with need to get ironed out. It felt a bit like a Rorschach test game for him (obviously in this post displaying my tendency to cautiously stake claim to middle ground).

I feel like Love has shown he can make all the throws, and not just in a presumptive way because of the arm strength. The one Doubs dropped on the bootleg was a pretty great throw given the circumstances. He just has to show that he can do them consistently.

There were a few really good throws but plays like the running back ones (unless the back was actually supposed to turn the route up field instead of into the flat) or the tip drill Winfree came down with need to get ironed out. It felt a bit like a Rorschach test game for him (obviously in this post displaying my tendency to cautiously stake claim to middle ground).
There were a couple big mistakes and if he were our starting QB this year, I'd be very concerned. I'm grading him A-Against himself from last year and B-as a 23 year old QB with obvious physical talent. I'm not hanging all the other crap on him that's got nothing to do with him.

It's the pre-season, so I don't care about the stat line all that much. I care that he looks like he's growing...and I think he is.

I don't know what he is yet...but I also know those saying he sucks or he's a bust...they don't know either.

I thought he made some really-really nice plays and then two really poor ones and basically...he's getting better. The guy didn't have a pre-season as a rookie, had one game last year effectively. And then a regular season game in which the OL was absolutely terrible.

If he becomes a very good starting QB, I won't be surprised. If he becomes a backup, I won't be surprised. If he becomes an MVP caliber QB, that'll surprise me, but that will surprise me with any young QB.

Maybe it would have been better if he only played the one series and was done after the TD throw to Doubs? Then people would be happier, they'd have a prettier stat line. He wouldn't have gotten as much work, it wouldn't have helped him as much, but there'd be less people ripping the guy.

I saw a ton of really great things to take from this game. The DL moved the LOS, even our 6th and 7th DL played well, our 4th and 5th CBs played well. I wasn't impressed with our OL, but they were solid. Some like Hanson were much better than I'd seen before. Tom looked like a very mobile pass blocker, but wasn't finishing his blocks. Couldn't really see much of Rhyan.

One guy that stood out a bit deeper in the game was Tariq Carpenter. He looks fluid and he plays fast. Goodson needs to run with his pads lower, Baylor needs to read the blocks better(great catch and throw on the wheel route though).

One more quick one among a whole lot, Caleb Jones looks like more than an oddity out there. He looks VERY intriguing. And Caleb Jones looks like he can set the edge and get after the QB. I think our edges played pretty well, but he stood out a bit more than anyone else(and Enagbare was a guy I really liked).

But above all else, the Packers have a LOT of talent on the DL, they're physical, reset the LOS and it's also REALLY tough to fairly evaluate anyone in the pre-season when you're playing with such uneven talent.

Love has to quit focusing on one receiver, and see the entire field. Etling showed enough poise that he could be an asset on the practice squad, if anything happens to Rodgers or Love.

The receivers are a work in progress. Some of the younger guys showed some levels of ability that could translate real well during the season. The jury is still out.

Hanson has a rough time after the snap. He's getting manhandled. That can't happen to a center. Our second level of offensive linemen is suspect at best.

DBs were no shows most of the night. They did make some good plays, but were burned a lot too. Depth is suspect, based on what I saw.

I hope Crosby gets back soon. I don't even want to say the name of the guy doing the kicking. I do like our punter. He shows consistency in height and depth. It gives coverage personnel a target area they can shoot at.

None of it mattered, because it was the first preseason game, and nothing more than a few auditions to see who is still in the running to make the team.

Biggest issue is the OL, they have zero depth again. Jake Hanson was awful and that's being kind.
This is year 3 for Hanson. He was unable to mae the team year one after being drafted. Has hung around on the 53 and PS despite clearly showing he has no talent to play football at a NFL level. I do not see what ML and his staff see in this guy that he is still hanging around.

Deguara also was horrible I thought last night he struggled in blocking. Right now with Tonyan unlikely to be ready for the season I do not see any capable backup TE and lets be real Lewis is pretty much a extra OL at this point in his career as he catched a handfull of passes a year.

This is year 3 for Hanson. He was unable to mae the team year one after being drafted. Has hung around on the 53 and PS despite clearly showing he has no talent to play football at a NFL level. I do not see what ML and his staff see in this guy that he is still hanging around.
I agree, but I think what’s happening with him is, they’re taking a good hard look at him and giving him a chance to play his way OFF the team, which he may well be doing right now

Back