Official 2021 Packers Training Camp Thread

I found it curious that they had Runyan doing snaps at Center.
Looking to cross train as many as possible I suppose

If I recall, when they drafted Runyan, they considered him a potential center as well as guard.

I found it curious that they had Runyan doing snaps at Center.
Looking to cross train as many as possible I suppose
MO of the GBP have players be able to pretty much be able to play ever spot on the OL.

If I recall, when they drafted Runyan, they considered him a potential center as well as guard.
Nothing I’ve ever heard/read said that. Runyan himself said the Packers drafted him to play Guard and/or Tackle

I wonder if they're looking at Runyan at center because they think they may cut Patrick? Jenkins is certainly always an option at center but if he's playing LT then they need another option at center. I would have assumed that Patrick was that option, but maybe they're thinking he might be cut at the end of camp.

They have lots of options at G now that Kelly is available to play RT. Turner, Runyan, Newman, and Braden all appear to be solid options along with Patrick. Once BakhT returns Jenkins obviously goes back to LG. That makes 6 options at G. Maybe Patrick is the odd man out.

I wonder if they're looking at Runyan at center because they think they may cut Patrick? Jenkins is certainly always an option at center but if he's playing LT then they need another option at center. I would have assumed that Patrick was that option, but maybe they're thinking he might be cut at the end of camp.

They have lots of options at G now that Kelly is available to play RT. Turner, Runyan, Newman, and Braden all appear to be solid options along with Patrick. Once BakhT returns Jenkins obviously goes back to LG. That makes 6 options at G. Maybe Patrick is the odd man out.
Moving Patrick would save $1.975M in cap.
Ideally, if that’s where this is going, it would be nice if they could trade him if someone has a G/C go down in camp.
Maybe recoup that 6th rounder the gave up for Cobb.
2021 is final year of Patrick’s contract.

Right now we are early in camp. I think at this point GB wants to see different guys in different spots just to see if a injury happens if a guy can play a spot so they can shuffle the lineup.

In an interview with the NFL Network, Rodgers named one of his new teammates that is standing out the most.

“I gotta say the center, Josh Myers. For a guy to come in as a draft pick, as a rookie, to be that comfortable, it’s pretty impressive,” Rodgers said of the first-year center.

I knew I'd heard how Runyan was working out at center. Apparently he looked pretty good. In fact, the most recent information I have from my narrowing number of sources is that the guy is beginning to look a lot like Elgton Jenkins when it comes to picking up the requirements to play almost anywhere on the line. That, to me, is one helluva complement. I've said since his rookie season that Jenkins was our Swiss Army Knife on the offensive line, and going to be our top lineman in the future.

I like Runyan's chances of becoming a starter, if not this year, next year, and it could well end up being at center.

Won't blame GB for spending a 6th round pick on a guy who would have been a higher pick without his injury. Seems the knee never healed right. Pretty much all late round picks are gambles to see if they will ever pay off.
With his medical a they could have signed him as a UDFA. Sure late picks are gambles but we still don’t need to throw them away. Draft a LB or TE, someone who might prove themselves in ST.

Back