Official 2016 Week 1 Green Bay vs Jacksonville Thread

I'm kind of inclined to agree with realitybytes on this one. I'm thinking something in the 17-13 range. It's gonna be hot. The offense won't be clicking right away. The defense will be good enough to hold the Jags in check. I think this could be a close, ugly game.

Not sure how much has changed in trhe Jax defense but they were near the worst in points given up to a QB last season for fantasy so AR could have a field day out there.

Reactions: TW
I'm concerned as well about the offense. We haven't seen them stretch the field, or play into the opposition's strengths during the entire preseason. Now we need to find out if these guys are even on the same page.

What's always concerned me is that when they aren't on the same page, the offense doesn't seem to really get rolling the entire game, until the Packers get into the desperation mode, and Rodgers seems to be making the decisions based on personnel on the field.

I agree, TW.

I will be watching closely on how our WR's get separation. That is my biggest concern.

Will things be different with Nelson back? If not, it will be a long season offensively again.

Also, will this young defensive line hold up against the run.

I agree, TW.

I will be watching closely on how our WR's get separation. That is my biggest concern.

Will things be different with Nelson back? If not, it will be a long season offensively again.

Also, will this young defensive line hold up against the run.
Well said. Those are my same concerns. We'll see how the WR Corps, as a whole, responds.

it looks like they've at least tried to inject some speed into the offense this year. sadly, janis injured his hand which i'm sure as delayed his maturation in the system at least somewhat. but we also brought in an experienced and proven tight end who can actually run, drafted another receiver with legit speed, and at the last moment brought in a running back with some quickness. and then of course we are all praying that nelson can return to his 2014 form as well. most teams have one d-back who can legitimately cover a speedy receiver man-to-man. some have two. very few teams would be able to cover three really fast guys running pass routes. i think there is a pretty decent chance that we will see a much more productive offense this season than the 2015 version. but i don't think we will see it right away. it's probably not going to gel until after the bye.

I think the wildcard is Jared Cook. While he isn't necessarily a deep threat, his speed will be too much for most LBs to handle, so you'll either leave the middle of the field open for him or have to pull a safety into the middle. Might make it harder for DBs to sit on the short routes with no safety help over the top. Still won't be a total answer unless Jordy and to a lesser degree Cobb and Adams don't get separation.

Just rewatched Packers-Jags from 2012, last time they played. Jordy missed that game with injury, and what's frightening is how similar it looked to last year. Trouble getting open, trouble running the ball, terrible punting, poor pass blocking on the OL. It's a pattern with this team, the way they're built and the way AR plays. Anyway, maybe only interesting to me.

Yes this game will be hot but we're as healthy as we're ever going to be and I expect a level of 'professional production' out of the vets - Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, Starks. That is, maybe they aren't in midseason form but they'll do enough to get it done. Pack by 4 to 7.

I think we all see one common thread of concern. How healthy is Jordy? For some reason, the Packers coaching staff doesn't seem to be able to put people on the field in the best position to help the team without Nelson.

RP's comment about the 2012 game fits right into that question. There's something seriously wrong with a team that relies on one player to make the game a game. They need to address that issue now. The excuse that Nelson is hurt shouldn't be acceptable, if anything happens to him again.

After watching the Broncos beat the Panthers last night, I came away with two things. The Broncos coaching staff knows how to adjust their offense based on personnel available. They protected Siemien from himself, so he could gain experience, and confidence. He made a few horrendous mistakes, but it could have been worse, had they not dummied down certain aspects of their offense, and increased the usage of others, where he wouldn't totally implode.

The second thing they did was stop Newton from making big plays to keep drives moving. The defense circled the pocket well, while still pressuring him, and covering well downfield. Any time Newton gets under a 70.0 QB rating in a game, you've done your job.

Back