Next Badgers Football Coach

I think one thing that’s underestimate in regards to fan reaction is that Alvarez still has juice among many “loyalists” and his voice matters to them. In many ways he will always be Wisconsin football like Spurrier is in Gainesville or the late Bobby Bowden in Tallahassee. Or for that matter Osborn in Lincoln. His comments yesterday were a bit telling

"I love Jimmy," Alvarez said. "I think Jimmy would have done a good job. I hate to go there. Jimmy's done a great job and he's a great coach. I don't want to say anything. All I know, I love Jimmy. Jimmy's done a great job for us, a tremendous job, and I have all the respect in the world for him."

Educated guess JL had The Emperor’s support. What’s interesting is Alberts went against the Nebraska family with Ruhle and McIntosh did the same with Fickell. Will be fun to watch how it plays out

The assistant coaches' positions at UW are due to end 60 days after the head coach is fired, according to the contracts, unless they're specifically extended in writing by the school. Thursday marks 60 days since Chryst was fired.

I wonder who the coaches will be if the go bowling? Short term agreement with existing coaches as an audition?

Wonder if that played a role in the timing?? maybe not.. Also wonder who will still be around to coach in the Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Bowl??

I wonder who the coaches will be if the go bowling? Short term agreement with existing coaches as an audition?
Just spitballing here, “specifically extended in writing by the school” might have language connected to certain deadline like portal window and bowl. Can a coach decline? Probably but gets messy. Early signing day would not be impacted. The portal window is really important. Window opens same day that application deadline ends. It’s probably semantics because the staff will technically be in place at that point.

I think one thing that’s underestimate in regards to fan reaction is that Alvarez still has juice among many “loyalists” and his voice matters to them. In many ways he will always be Wisconsin football like Spurrier is in Gainesville or the late Bobby Bowden in Tallahassee. Or for that matter Osborn in Lincoln. His comments yesterday were a bit telling

"I love Jimmy," Alvarez said. "I think Jimmy would have done a good job. I hate to go there. Jimmy's done a great job and he's a great coach. I don't want to say anything. All I know, I love Jimmy. Jimmy's done a great job for us, a tremendous job, and I have all the respect in the world for him."

Educated guess JL had The Emperor’s support. What’s interesting is Alberts went against the Nebraska family with Ruhle and McIntosh did the same with Fickell. Will be fun to watch how it plays out
Of course Leonhard was Barry's guy. He coached him and he's part of the Barry Era guys. He will support someone who will keep the Barry era alive over a guy who likely spells the end of the Barry Era.

Of course Leonhard was Barry's guy. He coached him and he's part of the Barry Era guys. He will support someone who will keep the Barry era alive over a guy who likely spells the end of the Barry Era.
Well the harsh reality is that the Barry Era will always be a part of Wisconsin football. The statue and name on the field. And while McIntosh (BA’s endorsed successor) will put his own stamp on the program, Fickell is much like BA. Came from an elite program, played DL (BA was a LB) and was the DC (well co DC) and made is mark on player development. Don’t think that those traits were not not lost when vetting candidates and also relatable to BA. The era is in many ways alive and well. They just went outside the immediate family this time

Jim Leonhard will receive up to $1 million from the University of Wisconsin after he agreed to leave the football coaching staff in December.
Leonhard, the former Badgers defensive coordinator who was interim coach after Paul Chryst was fired last October, signed a separation agreement Dec. 6, the day he announced he wouldn't return to new coach Luke Fickell's staff.

The agreement was released Tuesday by UW-Madison in response to a public records request.

It gives Leonhard a $1 million payout in equal monthly installments from this March through January 2024, subject to withholdings. Leonhard also will have money taken out of the payment if he takes a job as a head coach or defensive coordinator with an NFL or Football Bowl Subdivision college team

Back