Next Badgers Football Coach

Based on that, I would actually argue that McIntosh handled the process as well as possible. He clearly targeted Fickell as they guy he wanted but he kept it extremely quiet and under the radar and if it hasn't worked out he had a good plan B lined up ready to go in Leonhard. If Leonhard was plan B, he had to keep everything lined up like Leonhard was going to get the job in the event Fickell declined. Welcome to the business of college football.

McIntosh handled this as well as anyone possibly could. He also went outside the box, making a decision that many Badger backers may not totally agree with, but at the same time, can't argue that it was a bad choice for head coach. This was the mark of a true leader, who's taken responsibility of the Athletic Department on his shoulders.

For those who are complaining about the number of football players who will now leave through the portal, rest assured that Luke Fickell will put a concerted effort together to get players into Wisconsin, through the portal, who are just as good. It would end there. He's going to put together an amazing group who can recruit the hell out of the US. He's a dynamic choice. It's time people jump on board, because it's going to be one helluva ride with him as HC.

To those that said McIntosh was going to be weak, I have only one thing to ask. "How do you like him now?"

Quick take on Fickell and recruiting. First, he’s a great football coach who has made his mark on player development. That’s not debatable. But his resume does not scream elite recruiter. And again with development I give you Ridder as a great example and that gives me optimism

But he not out there getting blue chip kids ….2018 #49. 2019 #64 2020 2021 #41 2022. Now the big gorilla in the room. Don’t care if it’s Fickell or Dabo or Ryan Day….there are still going to be academic issue and other obstacles that won’t go away soon.

Again, this was the right choice at the right time. I was not on the JL bandwagon either. Best way to describe my feelings is cautious optimism

Just a note, I get the love for Jimmy, and all I really do, after all, Wisco born and raised, played my youth and HS ball in Wisco so on and so forth. I get it really do BUT....

I am reading two national nonaffiliated sports forums and fans there are making fun of the JL stuff, ( calling out the dopes on Buckyville specifically by name I will add) This is at a point where it's embarrassing, this hire is considered a coup by most everyone outside except the "Wisconsin way" crowd and the old fart alumni.

They don't have to be happy, but they do need to put a sock in it. tc(

Just a note, I get the love for Jimmy, and all I really do, after all, Wisco born and raised, played my youth and HS ball in Wisco so on and so forth. I get it really do BUT....

I am reading two national nonaffiliated sports forums and fans there are making fun of the JL stuff, ( calling out the dopes on Buckyville specifically by name I will add) This is at a point where it's embarrassing, this hire is considered a coup by most everyone outside except the "Wisconsin way" crowd and the old fart alumni.

It reminds me of the people that believe that every player who puts on a Packer uniform is destined to being installed in Canton.

Quick take on Fickell and recruiting. First, he’s a great football coach who has made his mark on player development. That’s not debatable. But his resume does not scream elite recruiter. And again with development I give you Ridder as a great example and that gives me optimism

But he not out there getting blue chip kids ….2018 #49. 2019 #64 2020 2021 #41 2022. Now the big gorilla in the room. Don’t care if it’s Fickell or Dabo or Ryan Day….there are still going to be academic issue and other obstacles that won’t go away soon.

Again, this was the right choice at the right time. I was not on the JL bandwagon either. Best way to describe my feelings is cautious optimism
There are a lot of kids out there who are academically qualified to getting into Wisconsin, that the Badgers haven't even bothered to recruit, because they didn't feel they could get them. I don't think Fickell is going to do that. I think he's going to surround himself with quality recruiters who can get a few of them on board.

I don't think Fickell would have taken the program on, if he believed he was going to be a doormat coach for the high powered programs presently in the Big 10. He's not stupid.

It all leads back to the loyalty many have with Alvarez. Like it or not his statue will always be outside Camp Randall, his name is on the sidelines and is tight with Kellner. JL was the epitome of what Barry wanted. “Our heart and souls come from Wisconsin but our legs and arms we have to get elsewhere” or something to that extent. It’s just as much the love for BA as JL. Both are what in many ways built the program and that’s always going to be in folks minds

There are a lot of kids out there who are academically qualified to getting into Wisconsin, that the Badgers haven't even bothered to recruit, because they didn't feel they could get them. I don't think Fickell is going to do that. I think he's going to surround himself with quality recruiters who can get a few of them on board.

I don't think Fickell would have taken the program on, if he believed he was going to be a doormat coach for the high powered programs presently in the Big 10. He's not stupid.
Based on who they have offered over the last 3-5 years I would respectfully disagree. We are just 2 years removed from a top 20 class. All that said, player development has been lacking and that’s Fickells calling card. The key to BB’s classes were about development, same with BA. Neither had highly ranked classes

Back