Matt LaFleur: What Would Be Success and Failure 4 Years From Now

Year 1 you can't expect much. If they finish with a winning record that would be impressive.

Year 2 winning record and compete for division would be good.

Year 3 win a game or two in playoffs.

The current roster is built around MMs offense. ML is diff and will need diff players. You can't just plug everyone into ML offense and wipe your hands of it ... Can Jones and Williams handle ML offense? Can the younger WR handle route and timing necesary for ML offense? How long will it take to assemble an OL who has skills to run ML offense?

Lots of questions. But considering how diff MM and ML offense is it will take time.

And there was about 50% turnover in roster from 2017-2018 so it's another heavy transition year. Lots of new and inexperienced

I think a lot of our no talent guys weren't used correctly. If LaFleur is worth his salt, we'll have at least one more Lombardi

My concern has always been depth. The first 22 is workable if you are ok with 9-7 / 10-6. Deep with Ok talent but void of playmakers. And average talent won’t win championships
This is correct.

Though Pro Bowl has become more of a popularity contest anymore it's still somewhat of a gauge even if it is as an alternate.

Go back to the Super Bowl teams and count how many PB type players were in them and who would you consider in current roster?

Also who was one and now in decline on the team? Such as Matthews, Bulaga, Cobb, and even Daniels has had a bit of a let down the last two seasons.

Also gone were out two PB Guards who even if here now are down.

We do maybe have some bright spots. Frackel seems to be coming into his own. Gilber is ok. Clark is guy to build around and the real deal so far. MVS with an off season with Rodgers should be improved and take that number 3 role. Martinez is guy but not elite. Bak is elite and Lindsey is a solid starter. Book is still out our drafted Corners but hope Alexander improves and maybe Jackson moves to Safety.

Some other Corners brought in had some good moments, but as of now there is no Shields type and Safety is hole as is TE.

Somewhere on Defense we need an impact and leader player.

Imo we are in somewhat of a rebuild mode.

Need list:
Offense: RT, G, TE, #2WR, #2QB. Then OL depth.

Defense: starting DL, Pass Rusher either DE or OLB, FS, ILB.

And though we have spent picks at Corner can't rule out if a possible Shut Down one is BAP at time of pick.

Back to Packinatl question.

Normally with 3 to 5 years a Super Bowl. But given what is already in place and Rodgers age and window, I'd say better be SB by year 3.

Depending on who and what can added by draft and free agency, as well as team health and Rodgers health. That would be the same for any team though.

I'm assuming most coaches don't get canned because they are on the verge of a Super Bowl, unless you're the Broncos of a few years ago, so it's safe to say there are deeper issues on this team.

It's a tricky question because of the Rodgers factor. Rather, his aging factor. I would normally say year 3 challenging for NFCC and 4 to 5 for SB but maybe the window is a little tighter because of Rodgers. Then again, this year could have been an anomaly for AR, although his stats were decent for any NFL QB. Maybe LaFleur plays to his strengths, much like Shanahan and Elway, and AR produces for many years to come. Bradyesque for a lack of better terms.

I know that folks are being cautious about this years rookie CB’s, Alexander and Jackson, but while the jury is still out on Jackson I think we have to acknowledge that Alexander looks like the real deal for GB.
He even got a vote in the all-pro voting this year.
Resigning Breeland and hoping King can put the injury bug behind him could form a formidable trio of CB’s for quite a while.
Fix the Safety position via FA and the draft and the backend of the defense becomes very good.

Back