Matt LaFleur did not have final say on hiring assistants

Will have to give this 3-5 years if things are going south there will be loud voices to clear out coaching staff and FO along pushing Murphy into retirement and not promoting Bell to president after that
Depends on expectations. If they make the playoffs all will be well. Once again #12 will mask much of what is wrong. This is a 3 year window, maybe less on the W / L side. If the business side is still in shape there will be the aging stars narrative and we need to rebuild.

Reactions: TW
So financial considerations? Maybe much like Rizzi possibly the same? I don’t want the business side of my operation making football decisions. If Ball wanted to control contract narrative why even bring him in unless you understand the parameters. Makes me wonder how much autonomy Gute or ML has
Gute seems like he has to go to hate in hand to Muprhy acting like please Mr. Murphy may I sign this guy who turns to scrooge McDuck Ball asking what you think

So financial considerations? Maybe much like Rizzi possibly the same? I don’t want the business side of my operation making football decisions. If Ball wanted to control contract narrative why even bring him in unless you understand the parameters. Makes me wonder how much autonomy Gute or ML has

Couldn't be said better! When the business side starts calling the shots with football, the product on the field is adversely effected. Never trust a bean counter running the show. I'm afraid that's what we would have had with Ball as our GM.

I'm not knocking them, just pointing out they see things differently than football people.

Couldn't be said better! When the business side starts calling the shots with football, the product on the field is adversely effected. Never trust a bean counter running the show. I'm afraid that's what we would have had with Ball as our GM.

I'm not knocking them, just pointing out they see things differently than football people.

That's the NFL in general these days unfortunately. It's all about the Ben Franklins. Just making the playoffs is good enough. Very few teams want to improve chances by taking risks. If just making, or for some teams surviving off revenue sharing and merch not even making, the playoffs is good enough no need to risk it.

If your fanbase is happy with winning your division and making playoffs, and your QB basically gaurantees that most years, why risk the profit margin?

What's happening with Pack isn't much different than most other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: TW
There is a very Brownsian and Wolfian tinge to the comments. Silverstein states plainly that Wolf the Older is no longer on speaking terms with Murphy and it could all be coming from that camp. Wolf has spoken about not ever coming back to day to day football unless he gets a stake, and those comments are years old. But perhaps he is eying the Exec Committee.

But it reinforces my concerns in three ways:

1. Lack of support for the core mission: Something spooked ST Coach Rizzi and even Murphy's spin seems to indicate they offered him less that he was seeking after LaFleur agreed to his terms prior to scheduling an interview. This could be the HC who thought control over the coaching staff also meant unlimited budget and no one else chiming in. He may have misjudged. But the result is you end up with a lesser candidate after deciding it was in your budget. Unforced error. You hire a first time coach and you should make it as easy as possible for them. Once again, when it came time to support a coach, they just mucked it up.

2. Silos: As the coach search may have demonstrated, not having clear lines of authority makes could make things difficult. Who was in charge of approving coaching contracts? When Capers had a set price, everyone went to Thompson to make the case. Who did they need to convince this time? Could the other silos muck this up? Was budget the primary consideration? Did anyone tell La Fleur, the first time coach?

3. McCarthyism: This system exists because the coach, on a then 2 year deal, wanted Free Agents. Why does this system exist now? Murphy said at on point a dozen other teams were set up like this, but other than Pittsburgh, which is imploding, I don't remember being impressed with the list.

Silverstein yesterday

Not a single member of the Cleveland Browns organization was interviewed for my story other than Wolf telling me when he left that he didn't want to talk about his departure.

So much for that theory.

Silverstein yesterday

So much for that theory.

Not a surprise

I was listening to ESPN 1070 interview Silverstein and another Packer Beat Writer. A couple observations

1. It's absolutely mind blowing to think Gute thought he was interviewing for TT's old position but when offered the job he found out about the new structure

2. Sounds like the interviewing team decided as a group to head to bed and reconvene the next day and most likely bring ML back for a second interview but Murphy decided to just hire him w/o executing that plan?

3. Murphy was going to the press conference by himself to introduce ML as the head coach. Gute was added to the press conference at the last minute because GB thought it would be good for him to be seated there and part of it.

4. It's mind blowing the GB was going to hire an elite Special Teams coach, and then Murphy offered him less that he was told he was being offered as a salary and he left GB without a job. Sounds like we then tried to offer more and Murphy looked like an incompetent schmuck when it was all said and done.

5. Gute comes off as a down to earth mellow guy who is a good human being but might be in over his head.
Murphy comes off as a power hungry egomaniac who some have questions about.
Russ Ball comes accross as an unappreciative asskissing political climber.

Who knows which part of this is accurate. But to me all of it is concerning.

And as some have noted all of this might work great. But shame on the Packers for letting Murphy change the organizational structure from one that brought us two SuperBowls to a show that resembles the Jerry Jones like Dallas Structure

Not a surprise

I was listening to ESPN 1070 interview Silverstein and another Packer Beat Writer. A couple observations

1. It's absolutely mind blowing to think Gute thought he was interviewing for TT's old position but when offered the job he found out about the new structure

2. Sounds like the interviewing team decided as a group to head to bed and reconvene the next day and most likely bring ML back for a second interview but Murphy decided to just hire him w/o executing that plan?

3. Murphy was going to the press conference by himself to introduce ML as the head coach. Gute was added to the press conference at the last minute because GB thought it would be good for him to be seated there and part of it.

4. It's mind blowing the GB was going to hire an elite Special Teams coach, and then Murphy offered him less that he was told he was being offered as a salary and he left GB without a job. Sounds like we then tried to offer more and Murphy looked like an incompetent schmuck when it was all said and done.

5. Gute comes off as a down to earth mellow guy who is a good human being but might be in over his head.
Murphy comes off as a power hungry egomaniac who some have questions about.
Russ Ball comes accross as an unappreciative asskissing political climber.

Who knows which part of this is accurate. But to me all of it is concerning.

And as some have noted all of this might work great. But shame on the Packers for letting Murphy change the organizational structure from one that brought us two SuperBowls to a show that resembles the Jerry Jones like Dallas Structure
No this if true I blame 100% on Russ Ball. Ball is the man who controls the purse strings in GB.

No this if true I blame 100% on Russ Ball. Ball is the man who controls the purse strings in GB.

I agree regarding Ball.
It’s no secret he wanted Ted’s job, in its entirety, and when Gute gets the personnel component, Ball becomes a dark force.
Ball is a divisive entity within the Packers organization, and the fact that Murphy condones and covers for him, makes him equally complicit.
Having everyone report to Murphy was supposed to cure the “Silo’s” issue by centralizing communication. But what’s unaccounted for is individual/personal agenda’s like the corporate climber, Ball.

I agree regarding Ball.
It’s no secret he wanted Ted’s job, in its entirety, and when Gute gets the personnel component, Ball becomes a dark force.
Ball is a divisive entity within the Packers organization, and the fact that Murphy condones and covers for him, makes him equally complicit.
Having everyone report to Murphy was supposed to cure the “Silo’s” issue by centralizing communication. But what’s unaccounted for is individual/personal agenda’s like the corporate climber, Ball.
I think everyone within the team knows that Ball is Murphy lacky. Only thing I hope is that when Murphy retires that Ball's age plays against him because Ball will be 60 years old soon so if Murphy goes another 3-5 years the BOD might not want to promote a guy who could be there only a 5 or so years himself.

Back