Johnny Davis

Don't we see this a lot? Upperclassmen the coaches are comfortable with and have confidence in and play within the coaches system are playing and leadingthe way.

And, then as coaches learn the underclassmen skills and gain confidence they take over?

Remember, last year we had an upperclassmen veteran team and they sure seemed to have a large presence and lot of clout in the locker room.

I'll bet he didn't have much of an opportunity last year. This year he's the man. He may be opening the door for the future.
Bo did this all the time. Dekker was invisible as a freshman and sophomore, same with Bronson

Another great win by the Badgers. Five players in double figures. Only 4 points off the bench though. I'd like to see that improve.

As for all those who said Davison should have left the program? Like I said back then, you didn't know what you were talking about. He's a coach on the floor, and a stabilizing influence out there.

The Badgers weren't lacking talent, they were lacking coaching. The changes in the team demeanor on the floor and sideline is totally different than it has been for the last two years.
Last year was dysfunctional on many levels. Tucker was well a team cancer in many ways, Reuvers did not even want to be in Madison. The telling thing was guys like Ford and Anderson were cast as not liking Gard yada yada yada, but Ford was back on campus this summer at workouts, Anderson was at the Purdue game lot of other examples.

This year Wahl is night and day a different player, Bowman gives them quality minutes, Crowl while needing bulk is so much more confident and Vogt has given them a presence low they did not have.

It’s 50/50 based on his dad’s comments (going pro) The goal is a top 5 pick and not sure he’s at that level yet. He’s a 2 guard who can play inside now but he needs a more consistent perimeter game
If that’s the goal, and he stays one more year, and then achieves that goal (top 5 pick), I can’t ever recall a Badger doing that. :unsure:

If Davis is looking for a top-5 slot he'll still be waiting a decade from now - IMO.

The NBA draft is all about athleticism, length and that dreaded final quality - potential. Davis is athletic enough. That next quality, length, works against him. If UW list him at 6'5" then he's probably 6'4" at best. Decent enough for a PG, not so much as a SG.

The NBA seems to favor those 6'6" and taller shooting guards nowadays and that's not Davis. Certainly doesn't rule him out for the NBA or even the lottery, it's just that he's not that athletic "unicorn" NBA teams are typically looking for in those top-5 or so picks. I suspect at some point someone from the NBA will advise Davis and his family that a later lottery pick is probably as good as it's going to get for him.

If Davis is looking for a top-5 slot he'll still be waiting a decade from now - IMO.

The NBA draft is all about athleticism, length and that dreaded final quality - potential. Davis is athletic enough. That next quality, length, works against him. If UW list him at 6'5" then he's probably 6'4" at best. Decent enough for a PG, not so much as a SG.

The NBA seems to favor those 6'6" and taller shooting guards nowadays and that's not Davis. Certainly doesn't rule him out for the NBA or even the lottery, it's just that he's not that athletic "unicorn" NBA teams are typically looking for in those top-5 or so picks. I suspect at some point someone from the NBA will advise Davis and his family that a later lottery pick is probably as good as it's going to get for him.
The thing is Ivey is projected higher and they are really comparable on a few levels. System matters also. At a place like GS he’s probably a better fit than Milwaukee or NY. They play in space more than say spot and shoot.

Last year was dysfunctional on many levels. Tucker was well a team cancer in many ways, Reuvers did not even want to be in Madison. The telling thing was guys like Ford and Anderson were cast as not liking Gard yada yada yada, but Ford was back on campus this summer at workouts, Anderson was at the Purdue game lot of other examples.

This year Wahl is night and day a different player, Bowman gives them quality minutes, Crowl while needing bulk is so much more confident and Vogt has given them a presence low they did not have.
Yeah, last year was a weird one for Bucky. From the outside, so many things seemed off.

On circumstantial evidence, I have to agree with you on Tucker. And, that's just too bad. I think most were hoping his return would be a huge benefit, but it appears it was the opposite. Looking back it sure seems that unhappy people tried to derail last year's team.

As you pointed out, by looking at this year, how horrible could Gard have been? But, fire him anyway

It’s 50/50 based on his dad’s comments (going pro) The goal is a top 5 pick and not sure he’s at that level yet. He’s a 2 guard who can play inside now but he needs a more consistent perimeter game
Agree top 5 but I think he's top 10 and still why not go pro if you are a lottery pick? Chance at coming back and getting hurt just to raise stock a little bit is big risk.

Agree top 5 but I think he's top 10 and still why not go pro if you are a lottery pick? Chance at coming back and getting hurt just to raise stock a little bit is big risk.
Top 10 is also a reach. Right now probably 10-15 on the low end. Still does not fit a prototype NBA 2 guard.

Good analysis
Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size at 6’5 for a shooting guard, but we’ve seen more players with this size find success in the league in recent years … Doesn’t always create a lot of space for himself on jumpers, but gets away with making contested jumpers against smaller defenders … Solid athlete with good wingspan, however … Doesn’t always appear to create separation against top level athletes. Speed remains one of his biggest question marks … Lacks elite level lateral speed … Needs to continue to improve as a playmaker and not just as a scorer off the dribble … Good, but not great athleticism, which raises concerns again about creating space for himself and also guarding top-level NBA guards

Back