Johnny Davis

TW

Reaction score
I don't believe for a heartbeat that Johnny Davis was less a player last year as he is this year. I think his game was dictated by what the coaching staff said was his role, nothing to do with his skills. It would be near to impossible for anyone to step up their game as much as he did in that short of time.

I believe that there are times that coaching gets in the way of true player capability, and this was one of those times. His role was diminished, when it shouldn't have been.

Don't we see this a lot? Upperclassmen the coaches are comfortable with and have confidence in and play within the coaches system are playing and leadingthe way.

And, then as coaches learn the underclassmen skills and gain confidence they take over?

Remember, last year we had an upperclassmen veteran team and they sure seemed to have a large presence and lot of clout in the locker room.

I'll bet he didn't have much of an opportunity last year. This year he's the man. He may be opening the door for the future.

People talking now about him for player of the year and being a top 10 lottery pick.

Another great win by the Badgers. Five players in double figures. Only 4 points off the bench though. I'd like to see that improve.

As for all those who said Davison should have left the program? Like I said back then, you didn't know what you were talking about. He's a coach on the floor, and a stabilizing influence out there.

The Badgers weren't lacking talent, they were lacking coaching. The changes in the team demeanor on the floor and sideline is totally different than it has been for the last two years.

It's amazing how good a player is when the coach no longer bottles him up, forcing him to play a lesser role. Davis is going to be a lottery pick I'm afraid. We lose him after one solid year of play. :(

It's amazing how good a player is when the coach no longer bottles him up, forcing him to play a lesser role. Davis is going to be a lottery pick I'm afraid. We lose him after one solid year of play. :(

Oh it's pretty much guaranteed he's a lottery pick at this point. He's going pro after this year would be foolish of him not too.

First of all, another solid win last night for the Badgers. They seem to be finding their way on offense with a much better flow on that end of the court compared to last year. Not sure if Gard has loosened the reins a little or the players have just found more confidence in themselves and each other.

The situation last year was more complicated than the coach just holding Davis back. First of all, you had a group of proven upperclassmen (love 'em or hate 'em) who had just come off of winning the Big-10 title the year previously. Pretty much any coach would ride with that group and try to repeat that feat. Unfortunately that group was dysfunctional last year - coaches and players.

Then you have Davis himself. It's not like this kid was a 5-star player with a massive AAU career to indicate he was this kind of player. He was a true freshman and did not have a normal summer/fall to prepare. There were times last year when he was working on his own game and confidence. He was deferring to the older players. Plus he himself, along with others, pointed out how much confidence he gained this past off-season playing with the U-19 USA team.

Should Gard have gotten more out of him last year . . . yes. I'm not sure though that Davis was capable of this level of play last year.

Heard there was 18 scouts at the game last night.

The Team USA experience gave Davis a load of confidence and helped him improve his game. He was always the only guy on the floor who could crate his own shot even last year. The difference this year his his ability to hit from distance and his defense is night and day better than last year

Oh it's pretty much guaranteed he's a lottery pick at this point. He's going pro after this year would be foolish of him not too.
It’s 50/50 based on his dad’s comments (going pro) The goal is a top 5 pick and not sure he’s at that level yet. He’s a 2 guard who can play inside now but he needs a more consistent perimeter game

Back