James Laurinaitis

I read he was stunned the Rams cut him. He fully expected to finish his career in Los Angeles.
But I'm tellin' ya man, this guy still holds records for his outstanding play in College. It's a total lonshot Ted signs him, but if he did, I'd celebrate.
My understand is that was a salary cap related move. I think the dude still can play.

My understand is that was a salary cap related move. I think the dude still can play.
Well, the Rams had pleeenty of cap room AND Laurinaitis was willing to take a pay cut to stay. That he was cut nonetheless is NOT A GOOD SIGN, PEOPLE!!! Neither is him having back-to-back injury-ridden seasons, nor ranking 2nd worst ILB on PFF - 5 spots lower than Nate Palmer.

Rams fans, who have watched him the closest, were like: "Mild surprise...but makes sense, since he was getting slow, not producing and too expensive. Let's get younger and faster!"

So what exactly makes you think the dude still can play? I guess, IF he managed a wholly healthy season from that extremely beat up body, then yes, it's possible he could play - at the same run-D -oriented spot that young and cheap Ryan and Barrington play. No way he'd be the athletic coverage/sideline-to-sideline roamer we currently lack.

In one way you may be right: The LA Rams may be clearing cap room to do some big splashes in UFA to drum up interest in the team. Dunno if that quite qualifies as a cap move, since the team also has to, you know, win to get long term interest. They would not let their best players go, especially ones willing to take a pay cut.

I have to say that we need speed at ILB. We do not need an aging, slowing ILB near the end of his career. Letting AJ Hawk go was a disappointment but not a mistake by any means. Disappointing in that he was a fan favorite. He did a lot of good things but he was getting so slow he was a liability. His stats this season show it wasn't a mistake either. 24 tackles in 16 games was 66 less than last season.

I have to say that we need speed at ILB. We do not need an aging, slowing ILB near the end of his career. Letting AJ Hawk go was a disappointment but not a mistake by any means. Disappointing in that he was a fan favorite. He did a lot of good things but he was getting so slow he was a liability. His stats this season show it wasn't a mistake either. 24 tackles in 16 games was 66 less than last season.

I think Hawk was a part time player though. If he would have take a paycut I think he would have been worth keeping. Thinking more on Laurnaitis it probably would be for the best to take a past on him. Likely not to even consider any of the 3 cut by the Rams considering age and production at this point.

He's intriguing but I see him as more of a 4-3 ILB. I just think your better off drafting a young stud and plunging him in. Just my tc(
We have to solve the ILB problem. Laurinaitis is an okay short term partial fix very much on the decline. However, this is our #1 issue (yes, even over TE) which I hope gets addressed long-term with our #1 pick. Who you thinking? How about a player who wants to come to Green Bay, Reggie Ragland? Could be available where we pick.

Back