Is 2020 recruiting class make-or-break for Badgers & Gard?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Wisconsin saw its streak of NCAA tournament appearances end in 2018. A year later and the Badgers finished 4th in the Big Ten and took a trip back to the NCAA tournament. But, a first round defeat at the hands of Oregon has many wondering if the program is heading in the right direction now that the roster is full of players who Greg Gard has personally signed off on as the head coach.

Source

Continue reading...

I don't know that the 2020 class is make or break, but it'll be a large part of the evaluation that will be done on Gard after the 2020-21 season.

Gard will have an experienced, senior laden team that season. If he repeats some version of the past season, he'll be on the hot seat in a big way going into 2021-22. Without some solid recruiting in 2020, that 2021-22 team will be in tough shape and could be worse than last years group. If that happens, Gard is likely to be shown the door.

Easy answer no. The same reason Bo was not on the hot seat 2 seasons in a row, 2011 and 2012 with double digit losses and 1 and done's in NCAA's or when Bo went 1 and done and lost to Cornell in the NCAA's. As long Gard is in the top half of the B1G and gets to Sweet 16 or even 1 and done he is safe. The Gard vs Ryan recruiting comparison is very similar. Ryan's big haul was in 2 years getting Koenig and Dekker, other than that he was very average on the recruiting trail. Gard has not hit a 5 star kid like Dekker but Reuvers and King were well sought after (4 Star).

Recruiting might be similar but Ryan got more out of his players and they played better defense. Gard is an average coach at best. He needs to go away, IMO.

Do I know who to replace him with? No. I have not done the research. I just don't like what I see from Gard.

Recruiting might be similar but Ryan got more out of his players and they played better defense. Gard is an average coach at best. He needs to go away, IMO.

Do I know who to replace him with? No. I have not done the research. I just don't like what I see from Gard.
Wisconsin was #9 in the country on defense, I will take that. As far more out of his players that subjective. Not this year but last was an aberration. Ryan left the cupboard bare, the top 2 kids were out for the season, Davison played with one arm and the top reserve in the backcourt was out for the year but even with that beat Purdue, Maryland and lost to #5 MSU by 3

I'm going to have to see what happens over the next two years to really determine how good Gard and his staff are in finding kids for the program. Not only does he need to have his kids in place, but a second generation of them entering the program, where it will show if his message is really getting across.

Disagree if Gard is doing a #1 and done in tourney he won't last more then 2 more years before he's shown the door.

Disagree if Gard is doing a #1 and done in tourney he won't last more then 2 more years before he's shown the door.

That's what I meant. Two years is what I see.

So when Ryan went 1 and done did you feel the same way or losing to Cornell in the NCAA's. Oh pesky fact, Gard already has 2 sweet 16 appearances and beat #1 and #2 seed along the way but lets base his record on one year

Last edited:
So when Ryan went 1 and done did you feel the same way or losing to Cornell in the NCAA's. Oh pesky fact, Gard already has 2 sweet 16 appearances and beat #1 and #2 seed along the way but lets base his record on one year
Remember though Gard now in back to back years has missed tourney and suffered embrassing loss to a 12 seed. Another 1-2 years of that he would deserve to be canned

Back